Erode the Salary Cap, Jerry!

Playmaker247

Reaction score
How about modifying the cap by allowing teams to sign players they drafted to whatever they want? Doesn't good drafting and player evaluation mean anything anymore? Just look at this roster. Most of the key players are players they did the leg work and drafted. Elliot, Prescott, Martin, Frederick, VanderEsch, Lee, J Smith, etc. Keep the current rookie contract situation. It shouldn't come down to if we sign player a, b, or c then we have to part ways with d, e and f.
I think they should take a page out of the nba’s book and allow teams to go over the cap if they’re resigning someone already on the team

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry seriously needs to use all his pull to negotiate a massive player compensation package increase in exchange for the additional two NFL games to be played a year - that's essentially the major negotiation for the upcoming CBA...

He really needs to use all his power to increase the salary cap as much as possible for our immediate and future interests.

Think about it, if he could somehow swing a salary cap ceiling increase to heights not likely to be spent by all but the highest revenue clubs - then we’d be getting a de-facto erosion of the salary cap.

If Jerry truly cared for the good folks rooting for the Cowboys, he'd be making amends for his past mistake of influencing the implementation of the current salary cap...

Furthermore, it'd make all us fans less uptight about players wanting to get paid.

Lord, I wish there wasn't an NFL salary cap. I seriously don't care about the other teams or parity...

1158335989.jpg.0.jpg

The players will just demand bigger contracts if the cap is higher.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Jerry seriously needs to use all his pull to negotiate a massive player compensation package increase in exchange for the additional two NFL games to be played a year - that's essentially the major negotiation for the upcoming CBA...

He really needs to use all his power to increase the salary cap as much as possible for our immediate and future interests.

Think about it, if he could somehow swing a salary cap ceiling increase to heights not likely to be spent by all but the highest revenue clubs - then we’d be getting a de-facto erosion of the salary cap.

If Jerry truly cared for the good folks rooting for the Cowboys, he'd be making amends for his past mistake of influencing the implementation of the current salary cap...

Furthermore, it'd make all us fans less uptight about players wanting to get paid.

Lord, I wish there wasn't an NFL salary cap. I seriously don't care about the other teams or parity...

1158335989.jpg.0.jpg

Good thinking !

Jeffkills

Reaction score
The players will just demand bigger contracts if the cap is higher.
That’s fine, so long as we have financial advantage..

I don’t think anyone is opposed to players getting paid, rather, some of us are concerned about fiscal responsibility under the current cap..

If we had no cap, I wouldn’t give a damn how bad the players gouged Jerry...

Reid1boys

Reaction score
How much parity is there in the NFL? It usually isn't hard to predict who the end teams will be and top seeds in the playoffs regularly advance. Sure, you do have teams come out of nowhere like the Eagles to win it in 2017 but they are the exception. Before the season starts, you can look at a handful of teams and predict with good confidence that they will be there at the end. I get the NFL is a week to week league and anyone can win any given sunday but overall, the NFL season is pretty predictable as a whole. Especially the playoffs.

I think you are confusing your view from reality. What you are saying USED to be the case.... not anymore. Back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s prior to cap, yes, you knew which teams were gonna be there, and it was rare the 1 seed didnt at least play in the title game. Now, number 1 seeds get beat al the time in rd 1. Growing up, it was ALWAYS the Raiders were the ONLY Wildcard team to ever win a super bowl. Now, wildcard teams have as good a shot as any to win it. 97, 2000, 2005, 2007 and 2010 all had wildcard teams playing in the super bowl. EVERY year people now ask, "Who is gonna go from worst to first?" Bears last year were predicted to do well? Rams sucked one year, great the next. The rams with Vermeil sucked and then won the SB, hell our own Cowboys sucked in 13, outstanding in 14, sucked in 15, outstanding in 16........ it happens all the time. Look at about week 15 and you will see something like 28 or 29 teams still alive for a playoff spot.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Rookie contracts do not need to be 4-5 years when the life span of a player is pretty short in this league. 3 years max. And no team control for an extra year. Do away with that. And a lot of this gets solved.

Zeke does not need to be playing on a rookie deal for 5 years of his career, especially when those 5 years are going to be some of his best.

While I agree with you, it was THE PLAYERS that wanted this deal to have these rookie contracts. So Zeke should look at the players and the union for the reason why he is locked up like he is. Zeke does not need to be playing under a rookie deal???? Sorry, thats the way the CBA is done and until it changes... sorry Zeke.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s fine, so long as we have financial advantage..

I don’t think anyone is opposed to players getting paid, rather, some of us are concerned about fiscal responsibility under the current cap..

If we had no cap, I wouldn’t give a damn how bad the players gouged Jerry...

My point is that increasing the cap by 18/16 times the current cap is not going to solve any issues for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys issues signing players is not the 2019 cap or even the 2020 cap. It's a multi-year issue.

With a cap increase players getting contracts next year will expect more. Agents use the rate of inflation of the cap as one of the methods they use to calculate their contract demands.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
My point is that increasing the cap by 18/16 times the current cap is not going to solve any issues for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys issues signing players is not the 2019 cap or even the 2020 cap. It's a multi-year issue.

With a cap increase players getting contracts next year will expect more. Agents use the rate of inflation of the cap as one of the methods they use to calculate their contract demands.

So long as we have more money to spend, we won’t have cap issues...

If other teams aren’t likely or capable to match a higher potential salary ceiling, then we’d always have financial advantage...

The organization would have higher operational expenses, but net revenues would increase in line, likely surpassing increases in expenses..

In short, the Dallas Cowboys would be mor e profitable than ever, and we’d have an ability to spend like the Yankees... It’d be great times...

All the other fans would always cry.. We’d have an Alabama type advantage..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So long as we have more money to spend, we won’t have cap issues...

If other teams aren’t likely or capable to match a higher potential salary ceiling, then we’d always have financial advantage...

The organization would have higher operational expenses, but net revenues would increase in line, likely surpassing increases in expenses..

In short, the Dallas Cowboys would be mor e profitable than ever, and we’d have an ability to spend like the Yankees... It’d be great times...

All the other fans would always cry.. We’d have an Alabama type advantage..

The cap is a percent of revenue.

If the cap is 200M and a team uses all of their cap space, they still make money because the cap is about half of the total income.

There is also a cap floor (minimum spend).

Your plan would only give team some breathing room for a year or two because the cap would make a big jump before salaries caught up.

That would be most beneficial to teams that currently have cap problems.

The Cowboys have managed their cap tightly the past several years; therefore all teams getting some extra breathing room for a year or two does not really help the Cowboys.

sideon

Reaction score

1158335989.jpg.0.jpg
What pull does Jerry actually have anymore? It seems like the league treats him like the senile old man that the company keeps around out of pity.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
The cap is a percent of revenue.

If the cap is 200M and a team uses all of their cap space, they still make money because the cap is about half of the total income.

There is also a cap floor (minimum spend).

Your plan would only give team some breathing room for a year or two because the cap would make a big jump before salaries caught up.

That would be most beneficial to teams that currently have cap problems.

The Cowboys have managed their cap tightly the past several years; therefore all teams getting some extra breathing room for a year or two does not really help the Cowboys.
We’ll agree to disagree...

Jeffkills

Reaction score
What pull does Jerry actually have anymore? It seems like the league treats him like the senile old man that the company keeps around out of pity.
I’d say quite a bit.

More than any other NFL owner...

Multiple reports have him centered at the forefront of CBA discussions thus far...

Jeffkills

Reaction score
If you have a point then find a way to make it. Don't slink away after creating the thread just because you can't support it with logic or facts.
Lol, I’m not going to engage further because of your apparent deficit in reading/logical reasoning skills..

You win, bro! Lol!

:thumbup: