Ertz Could Break Another Witten Record In Front Of Witten Sunday

conner01

Reaction score
What I like about Ertz is his respect for the history of the game and its players. He is always quick to mention Witten as a guy he tries emulate.
He’s a great player and most records will be broken some day
TE records will continue to fall because the league is such a passing league

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a heck of a TE & Wentz relies on him to bail him out. Hopefully he waits until the final game to get that 2nd & 3rd catch.

Then again he's an Eagle, so he's probably been holding back just so that he can rub it in Jason's face.
I'm thinking neither Ertz or Witten will view it that way. lol Things are rarely as melodramatic as fans want to make them

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles love him so much they drafted his replacement last year....still don't understand that pick at all.

Supposedly to scoop us from getting him. Which they did not. Dallas was not selecting a TE there. Good player, but if Dallas did that and did not need a TE our fans on here would be blasting Jerry...oh, wait they did that twice already. Well, actually a lot more at other positions as well.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Great player. I miss having a great TE in their prime out there.

I mean we could have a good TE that is a game changer but nope, we have the broken down, progress stopper, selfish Witten out there who does nothing but rack up 4yd catches because the defense does not have to respect him at all.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Eagles love him so much they drafted his replacement last year....still don't understand that pick at all.

that was a "jump in front of the cowboys" pick … that was their only goal

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean we could have a good TE that is a game changer but nope, we have the broken down, progress stopper, selfish Witten out there who does nothing but rack up 4yd catches because the defense does not have to respect him at all.
I'm always amazed at how Witten averages 9 yards per catch while only racking up 4 yard catches. That's quite a feat if you think about it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s moronic to do with your first pick in the draft.
I think people are way off base for thinking that's the only reason the Eagles took Goedert. The Eagles may have jumped ahead of the Cowboys because they were worried the Cowboys would take Goedaert, but if so, it was because they wanted him, and not only to keep the Cowboys from having him.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
3k0gdk.jpg

Another year, another Jason Witten record for Zach Ertz to break.

Last season, the Eagles tight end broke Witten’s NFL single-season record for receptions by a tight end (116). Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field, Ertz could break the NFL record for receptions by a tight end through the first seven seasons of a career ... in front of Witten, the current record holder.

Ertz has 521 receptions through his first seven seasons. Witten had 523 during the same timeframe, so Ertz only needs three catches to surpass one of his NFL heroes.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/12/eagles-zach-ertz-could-break-another-jason-witten-record-in-front-cowboys-tight-end-in-week-16.html
Even with alshon and their other spares are playing ertz is still pretty much their entire offense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think people are way off base for thinking that's the only reason the Eagles took Goedert. The Eagles may have jumped ahead of the Cowboys because they were worried the Cowboys would take Goedaert, but if so, it was because they wanted him, and not only to keep the Cowboys from having him.
Yeah I think that’s more along their thinking. They liked him and jumped in front of a team they felt needed a tight end since Witten just retired.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I don’t classify most catches after seven years as a record. More like a random fact.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I think Witten would care more about being in the Hall of fame then a superbowl ring or some "fastest to a certain amount of yards" record.

The whole ring fascination is mostly an old school fan thing unfortuantely. Modern day players care about having a hall of fame career that pays you 2 or 3 high dollar contracts
He's going into the HOF regardless if he gets a ring and his records speak for themselves. I would hope the ring matters the most with a guy like him at this point.