ESPN 2021 NFL Mock Draft Cowboys Selection

Juggernaut

Reaction score
ESPN NFL reporters played general manager for the teams they cover and executed a first-round mock. By the end, there were five quarterbacks taken -- including with the first three picks -- and the first defensive player wasn't taken until No. 8. Trades were not allowed.

No. 10: Dallas Cowboys select Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
qRTp7CB.jpg

Horn fits what the Cowboys need. After allowing the most points in franchise history in 2020 -- including 34 touchdown passes (27 by wide receivers) -- the Cowboys need help all across their defense, but a bona fide pass-rusher is not in the mix at this spot. Horn has shown the ability to make plays on the ball. His father, Joe, played for Mike McCarthy in New Orleans. His college coach, Will Muschamp, is close with coordinator Dan Quinn. -- Todd Archer

No. 11: New York Giants select Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
No. 12: Philadelphia Eagles select Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
No. 19: Washington Football Team select Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

Source: https://www.espn.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-nfl-nation-reporters-make-first-round-predictions

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
ESPN NFL reporters played general manager for the teams they cover and executed a first-round mock. By the end, there were five quarterbacks taken -- including with the first three picks -- and the first defensive player wasn't taken until No. 8. Trades were not allowed.

qRTp7CB.jpg

Horn fits what the Cowboys need. After allowing the most points in franchise history in 2020 -- including 34 touchdown passes (27 by wide receivers) -- the Cowboys need help all across their defense, but a bona fide pass-rusher is not in the mix at this spot. Horn has shown the ability to make plays on the ball. His father, Joe, played for Mike McCarthy in New Orleans. His college coach, Will Muschamp, is close with coordinator Dan Quinn. -- Todd Archer

Source: https://www.espn.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-nfl-nation-reporters-make-first-round-predictions

Hey, that's who I predicted!!! Though, I had the Cowboys trading back with the Pats and getting him. I've got the Eagles trading up with Carolina for Smith from Bama. I've got the Giants going Slayton, and WFT going oline. Oh, and the Broncos going Surtain.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Does Horn have a top 10 grade? Not on my board.

50 board compilation done by the Athletic had Horn as #13 overall. Surtain was #10 and Parsons was #12.

It really comes down to fit and what you’re looking for and which player you think can help your football team.

10 vs 12 vs 13 is an insignificant distinction

Last edited:

Carter

Reaction score
If Surtain is there at 10 and we pick Horn i will be angry.

Horn is a grabby over-aggressive player thats a flag waiting to happen in todays NFL.

Surtains technique and composure is already elite and he faced guys like Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith in practice every day.

Horn might have the higher ceiling in the end but just betting on ceiling with a Top 10 Pick isnt good for me.

morasp

Reaction score
I think when it's over Jerry's comments about opt out players could hold true for the Cowboys.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Preference is Surtain but I’m fine with Horn.

Horn’s unrefined play is worrisome because he’s going to be a penalty magnet. We’ve got one of those already in Lewis.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Preference is Surtain but I’m fine with Horn.

Horn’s unrefined play is worrisome because he’s going to be a penalty magnet. We’ve got one of those already in Lewis.
Heard he is training with Jalen Ramsey. Maybe he can teach him some tricks.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Horn is a grabby over-aggressive player thats a flag waiting to happen in todays NFL.

Surtains technique and composure is already elite and he faced guys like Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith in practice every day.

Horn might have the higher ceiling in the end but just betting on ceiling with a Top 10 Pick isnt good for me.
Yup....Scouts want Surtain....coach wants Horn...trust your scouts. Never fails...our staff and Jerry just have to meddle in who is making the dinner.

Sydla

Reaction score

I think I am OK with Horn but not in a situation where they had a choice between him and Surtain and chose Horn.

Now if Philly, for example, jumps us to get Surtain (which I think has a good shot of happening), and we end up with Horn, I can live with that.

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess I don't see why the Giants would take a WR. They don't have a bad threesome with Slayton, Shepard and Golladay. None of those guys are studs but given the other issues the Giants have, WR seems like a bit much when they could take an OL to help their OL or a defender.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
It's going to be Horn. I've seen Archer do these in the past and he nailed both Taco and LVE. He's got ties in the organization and has never been into shock pieces. I watched this one last night and he also made mention of the Cowboys viewing Surtain as a Byron Jones type and they wanted a player who played the ball more aggressively. It struck me as something he was directly told rather than an opinion.

Not part of the same draft show last night, but I also heard Archer make mention of the Cowboys possibly moving back into the first round. He said Dallas didn't feel like they had 10 roster spots available and that he thought they'd trade some of the picks to come up for C. Barmore.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

qRTp7CB.jpg

Pretty sure Archer got the Taco and LVE picks right those years they did this at ESPN. Missed last year....but everyone did with Lamb.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's going to be Horn. I've seen Archer do these in the past and he nailed both Taco and LVE. He's got ties in the organization and has never been into shock pieces. I watched this one last night and he also made mention of the Cowboys viewing Surtain as a Byron Jones type and they wanted a player who played the ball more aggressively. It struck me as something he was directly told rather than an opinion.

Not part of the same draft show last night, but I also heard Archer make mention of the Cowboys possibly moving back into the first round. He said Dallas didn't feel like they had 10 roster spots available and that he thought they'd trade some of the picks to come up for C. Barmore.

I don't mind making a move for Barmore if he slides into that 20s range. They likely do have too many picks for roster spots.

But I just can't get behind the logic that if they want to go CB at 10, they take Horn over Surtain.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I don't mind making a move for Barmore if he slides into that 20s range. They likely do have too many picks for roster spots.

But I just can't get behind the logic that if they want to go CB at 10, they take Horn over Surtain.

You and me both. I've had Surtain pegged as the guy from day one and have him ranked a good 6-8 spots ahead of Horn. The Cowboys care not for my rankings though and I really pay attention when Archer talks. I disagree with it, but Horn is a really good player and I'd be thrilled to have him.