News: ESPN: Are Dallas Cowboys improved after franchise-high eight free agents signed?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The answer is........ who knows.

History, however, tells us these kind of moves rarely pay off for Jerry and the Cowboys.

Hopefully this is the year they bucks that trend.

Yeah, that's where I am. This type of free agency hasn't really helped us much in the past, so I don't think it's going to take a historically bad defense and make it into a great defense. I hope that between the signings, Quinn and the draft, though, that we can at least have a good defense. We'll see.

We're still built to be an offense-oriented team, but if this defense isn't at least good, then we're just spinning our wheels.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When it comes to free agency the Jones family never met a dumpster or yard sale they didn't love.

Almost wish they'd come into town when we're having a yard sale, except if we were selling something for $3, Stephen would make us an honest offer of 25 cents.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Improved?? Are we talking a millimeter or centimeter better?? We talking 31st to 30th ranked defense??

They still suck, so what's the point.

Creeper

Reaction score
Yes and no. I don't think the DL is much improved at all. I don't think the LBs are going to be any better either. Sorry, Neal fans. I think converting a box safety to LB and expecting greatness is wishful thinking. The secondary will be improved just because they found a replacement for Xavier Woods. We still have the same guys at DT and the new guys are not really going to be any better than the guys who were there before.

On offense, no much has changed at all because of free agency. They go into the season healthier and I suspect Steele and Knight will benefit from the experience they got last year and hopefully some additional time training.

I think any improvement overall is going to be determined by the improvement of Trysten Hill and Neville Gallimore.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Question, why is the word "hater" used so much around here to describe people with different opinions?

I believe the defense will still be bad and we will still be a bad football team overall. Does it make me a "hater" if I do not believe we are the Super Bowl bound because we signed a a few C level players coming off injuries. Are we pinning all our hopes on some rookies coming from the draft?

I guess if you don’t think everything is lilies and lollipops then you get the scarlet H on your chest.

I think it’s a toss up. These guys can be hits...or misses. You never know. You need to hit on many things to make a magical run and every year I get some form of hope for it. Gotta try

blueblood70

Reaction score
If we are better, it's marginal.
no its not the 6 games were basically won by our 3rd string TEAM, get it? a starting lineup for 16 games even if it were lasts years squad most lie a 2-3 game improvement, now add Quinn and some batter players plus draft to go , id say more than marginally better,,stop devaluing who actually played last year, it wasn't our starters thats for sure.

we basically played about 10 games with nearly a Preseason roster..so many street guys added after the bye , a 3rd string OL, 4 qbs and let go of nearly all our FAs..come on get real

our backups were 6-10 not our starters.. we lost the division by one game using backups , i say 3-4 game improvement is easy to conclude..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure if everything goes according to plan but that's what we say every year. Sometimes things do and sometimes (2020) nothing works out in the Cowboys favor.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Urban, Watkins will help the interior depth. Basham will help keep Gregory fresh.

Too bad its the wrong Urban we brought in....Corky was a terrible replacement at HC.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
------Urban, Watkins will help the interior depth. Basham will help keep Gregory fresh.

Too bad its the wrong Urban we brought in....Corky was a terrible replacement at HC.
Corny is a Jones bro type. Perfect fit for the Jones. Did any of us imagine a worst HC than Garrett being hired.

Sydla

Reaction score
One each in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. ANY draft pick is extremely valuable. I can’t believe you would say something so ridiculous. Dak was a comp pick. We all know you think he sucks and most of us know you’re wrong.

I think Dak sucks?

And right there you show what a schmuck you are.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I guess if you don’t think everything is lilies and lollipops then you get the scarlet H on your chest.

I think it’s a toss up. These guys can be hits...or misses. You never know. You need to hit on many things to make a magical run and every year I get some form of hope for it. Gotta try
Uhhm. It was, a, uhm......letter. Yah, a letter. No carving of the chest. Nope.

I completely agree with the latter part of your post. Nailed it, IMO.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think Dak sucks?

And right there you show what a schmuck you are.
Yeah, you think Dak sucks. Everyone knows it. Don’t embarrass yourself by denying it. How bout them 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th comp picks? You refuse to address that because of your agenda.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
giphy.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Question, why is the word "hater" used so much around here to describe people with different opinions?

I believe the defense will still be bad and we will still be a bad football team overall. Does it make me a "hater" if I do not believe we are the Super Bowl bound because we signed a a few C level players coming off injuries. Are we pinning all our hopes on some rookies coming from the draft?
You don't see the talent returning from injury from last season? That is why you are a hater. LOL

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What about comp picks? Other than Jones’ comp pick they have largely been in the later rounds and those guys are typically long shots anyway. A couple have turned into nice players but not many.

The Cowboys are not very good at FA. It’s bizarre people actually argue otherwise.
One each in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. ANY draft pick is extremely valuable. I can’t believe you would say something so ridiculous.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Quantity doesn't equal quality. I have no problem signing depth, but you also need starting talent to begin with before you celebrate that depth. I recall Jerry saying, two years ago, it was the deepest team he had ever had. Yeah, we know how our starters did that year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Truth

Sydla

Reaction score
One each in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. ANY draft pick is extremely valuable. I can’t believe you would say something so ridiculous.

Draft picks in the later rounds are lottery tickets. That’s it. They are not “extremely valuable”. Picks in the later rounds are total crap shoots.

I mean think about what you are saying. Signing a one year, mediocre FA that might net you a 6th round pick two years later is apparently smarter than signing an impact FA that can help your team for a few seasons.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, you think Dak sucks. Everyone knows it. Don’t embarrass yourself by denying it. How bout them 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th comp picks? You refuse to address that because of your agenda.

I think he sucks but said Dallas probably needed to resign him. Makes sense.

My issue with Dak was not whether he could play but rather how much he should have gotten paid.