News: ESPN: Are Dallas Cowboys improved after franchise-high eight free agents signed?

ESisback

Reaction score
Just because I like the team does not mean I am going to pretend that they are good at everything. I have enjoyed the team for over 25 years now, but it would be silly to pretend that the weaknesses that the Cowboys have, and have pretty much had for decades, are not there. The reason the roster is largely devoid of either JAGs or playmakers is because they have not drafted well the past few seasons, especially when it comes to finding JAGs in the later rounds, who are important to have. 2020 seems like it could be a good draft, at least in the playmaker perspective, but need to hit more than 1 draft every 4 years. If they have a good draft this year, then this time next year could be an exciting offseason, but they still do not draft well overall.

I get ya, but there’s a lot of space between pretending they’re good at everything and saying they’re below average at everything.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You really need to look around the league. The average team is drafting better than that. The good teams are drafting far better than that. I looked at 10 teams just now real quick to see their 2018 and 2019 draft classes and only 1 would I say had it worse, and most were far better (including the Ravens who had a 2018 draft class that is just cheating). The only way the Cowboys draft classes look decent is if you overhype your own guys and just simply do not know the names of the other people drafted (as a general rule most teams have players that they hype that no one outside of that team really knows).
“The average team is drafting better than that” says exactly who?

Sydla

Reaction score
I get ya, but there’s a lot of space between pretending they’re good at everything and saying they’re below average at everything.

Overall, they are better than league average in drafting IMO. They aren’t very good at FA and other than plucking Switzer to steer the team that Jimmy helped build, they aren’t very good at hiring coaches.

When you look at it from that perspective it should surprise no one that they have single digit playoff wins in a quarter century. They accumulate enough talent via the draft typically to not totally suck but never have the coaching or more complete roster to be a real threat in the postseason (if they even get there).

Adreme

Reaction score
“The average team is drafting better than that” says exactly who?

By any metric that you would use to judge talent. Average quality of player, ability to find starters, ability to find stars. Pretty much every metric between 2017-2019 the Cowboys were far and away below the league average at it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
By any metric that you would use to judge talent. Average quality of player, ability to find starters, ability to find stars. Pretty much every metric between 2017-2019 the Cowboys were far and away below the league average at it.
Show me some metrics instead of just spouting bull****. And don’t embarrass yourself with win/loss record.

rambo2

Reaction score
Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Seattle, Rams. Here are some that are better. There are teams who have improved more than the Cowboys so far this off season. We will see what happens in the draft. History for the last 25 years says that the best they will do is win the worst division and maybe get one playoff win.
It just depends on the injuries. Look at what happened to the Chiefs. You take away their 2 starting tackles and they get beat bad.

Adreme

Reaction score

They are not bad at everything. They are good at finding OLine in the draft, but they have OLine so it is not really a relevant skill over the past few years. This sort of leads to the problem where as a team, they have not been good at drafting. They have traditionally been decent at identifying stars, but not so great at filing out the roster. The problem is lately they have not been great at finding either stars or depth pieces which thus has caused the current problem.

Adreme

Reaction score
Show me some metrics instead of just spouting bull****. And don’t embarrass yourself with win/loss record.

First, let me laugh at your attempt to strawman because it was amusing how your only recourse was to use a strawman.

Second, pick a metric. I gave you 3 metrics. Pick one. Do you want to use solid starters, good value picks, pro bowls, players worth extending? We can use any metric you want, but the simple truth is that you need consecutive good drafts to be a contender and that the core of your team is built from having that. If 2/3 or 3/3 of your core drafts (your core team being 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year players) are solid then you have the tools to be a Super Bowl contender.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
First, let me laugh at your attempt to strawman because it was amusing how your only recourse was to use a strawman.

Second, pick a metric. I gave you 3 metrics. Pick one. Do you want to use solid starters, good value picks, pro bowls, players worth extending? We can use any metric you want, but the simple truth is that you need consecutive good drafts to be a contender and that the core of your team is built from having that. If 2/3 or 3/3 of your core drafts (your core team being 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year players) are solid then you have the tools to be a Super Bowl contender.
Yeah, any metric you want. I’m waiting.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2018 and 2019 were pretty good drafts. Above average.

1 Vander Esch
2 Williams
3 Gallup
4 Armstrong
4 Schultz
5 White
6 Covington
6 C. Wilson
7 Scarbrough

2 Hill
3 McGovern
4 Pollard
5 M. Jackson
5 J. Jackson
6 D. Wilson
7 Weber
7 Jelks

Stacked, bro. You can't keep adding that kind of talent and not win anything. It'll happen.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
1 Vander Esch
2 Williams
3 Gallup
4 Armstrong
4 Schultz
5 White
6 Covington
6 C. Wilson
7 Scarbrough

2 Hill
3 McGovern
4 Pollard
5 M. Jackson
5 J. Jackson
6 D. Wilson
7 Weber
7 Jelks

Stacked, bro. You can't keep adding that kind of talent and not win anything. It'll happen.

yeah, that don't look good at all... i call it weak actually. Adding that kind of talent each year will get you mired in mediocrity, no surprise there.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
1 Vander Esch
2 Williams
3 Gallup
4 Armstrong
4 Schultz
5 White
6 Covington
6 C. Wilson
7 Scarbrough

2 Hill
3 McGovern
4 Pollard
5 M. Jackson
5 J. Jackson
6 D. Wilson
7 Weber
7 Jelks

Can never tell when you’re being sarcastic but I think both classes are above average. Now we have some good coaching and a franchise QB in the folds for 4 years so I’m hopeful for a Super Bowl coming.

ESisback

Reaction score
Can never tell when you’re being sarcastic but I think both classes are above average. Now we have some good coaching and a franchise QB in the folds for 4 years so I’m hopeful for a Super Bowl coming.
He’s ALWAYS sarcastic—that’s his forte, his passion, his hobby/skill set. He is an ARTISTE! When it comes to talking about Jerry with TP on his shoe, it’s more earnest...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He’s ALWAYS sarcastic—that’s his forte, his passion, his hobby/skill set. He is an ARTISTE! When it comes to talking about Jerry with TP on his shoe, it’s more earnest...
Yeah, that’s how I handle his posts. He also said Wentz was the 2nd coming when he got drafted. So I always keep that in mind reading his posts.

KB1122

Reaction score
I would say that if you're splitting the money up among 8 players after signing the quarterback to a huge raise ..... probably not.

DanA

Reaction score
I’m completely convinced that our problem is we keep taking chances on players in free agency, picking out 3-4 reclamation projects rather than 1 or 2 reliable starters.

Give me the Jason Witten type reliable players with good injury record and professional attitude in FA every time, even if they aren’t as good, over the boom/bust or injury prone players.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score

As you have may have figured out by now, @Rockport is the biggest dip**** on this forum. You are wasting your time engaging him in any attempt to try to educate him. Trying to debate him is like playing chess with a pigeon and expecting anything more than birds*** on your hand.