ESPN Blog: Cowboys defensive coordinator checks in

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
August 4, 2008 5:32 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Just had a good visit with Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart via phone a few minutes ago. I'll try to post the audio before catching a flight to Commanders camp in a couple of hours.

Cowboys officials are saying that defensive tackle Tank Johnson has had the best training camp of any player on the team. I asked Stewart about Johnson, Adam "Pacman" Jones and the contingency plan for Pro Bowler Terence Newman.

We also talked about the Roy Williams issue and how the Cowboys are planning to use cornerback Anthony Henry on some of the top tight ends in the league. Williams has had an excellent training camp so far, but we'll see how he reacts when the Cowboys start yanking him off the field in passing situations.

They started the process last season, but you'll see a lot more of it this season. The other name that's coming up quite a bit is Bobby Carpenter. Bill Parcells wanted Carpenter in Miami, but for some reason, the Cowboys decided to keep him. Now, Wade Phillips and Stewart are saying Carpenter's having an outstanding camp.

OK, I have to go catch up on my Brett Favre news now. Thanks for stopping by.

Adam Jones, Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, Anthony Henry, Bobby Carpenter

sago1

Reaction score
Glad to hear that several of the defensive players have stepped it up. Can't wait to see Tank Johnson, Adam Jones, Roy Williams, Bobby Carpenter & others in the preseason games doing their thing. If their improved play continues throughout the regular season, this defense could become the shutdown defense we've all hoped for.

Of course the advantage to such a defense is that our offense regularly plays against them. In turn that helps each of them get even better.