ESPN: Brandon Weeden takes shot at Jerry Jones and Jones likes it

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It hardens his resolve.

No doubt.

That is why I chuckle when I see people think that Jones will cave to media pressure.

Are you kidding? He loves it.

It means relevance. That is all he craves anymore.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Nope. Weeden excelled in relief duty because he was able to just go have fun out here. It was only when he had extensive time with Jasn that he looked like crap. Yet another indictment on this coaching staff.

I watched the relief win last week, and the real difference was Deandre Hopkins...Weeden made some great throws, one courageous throw...most went to an open Hopkins or where Hopkins could make a play. He had no one like that in Dallas.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I keep hearing the Texans are getting more out of Weeden than Dallas did, but is his 15 of 24, 200-yard day against Tennessee much different than his 16 of 26, 246-yard day against New Orleans? He had one TD pass against the Saints and two Sunday, but that wasn't the primary difference. The primary difference is the Texans' defense pummeled the Titans.

Then as a backup the previous week, Weeden went 11 of 18 for 105 yards and a TD in a game Houston won 16-10, while in his first appearance for Dallas he came in for Romo against Philly and went 7 of 7 for 105 yards and 1 TD. His average per pass in those games and even in the Atlanta game was higher than what he has posted so far in Houston. His completion percentage also was higher in Dallas in all but one game over what he's done in Houston.

What's been good for him is he hasn't had the interceptions that hurt him against Atlanta and New England and he's playing on a team that's held both of the opponents to 10 or fewer points. If we had done that, he'd probably still be here and starting.

We're not good enough on defense or consistent enough in the running game to have a mediocre starter who can throw for 200 or less yards per game.

I've got issues with our play-calling and offensive scheme, but I just don't see what Weeden did in either of those games as an indictment of what we're doing. In fact, it seems that it's par for course with the numbers Weeden is putting up right now.

Get out of here with facts and analysis.

Its Garretts fault

DEATH TO GARRETT!!!!
DEATH TO GARRETT!!!!
DEATH TO GARRETT!!!!
DEATH TO GATTETT!!!!

Ender

Reaction score
Well, Weeden was able to help the Texans win, because they have a better football team. We have a bunch of overrated players.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not taking up for Garrett but beating a Titans team that has mailed it in is not so much to be proud of. Titans have lost what...12 out of 13 home games?

I believe Garrett could win with Weeden against the Titans without their starting QB with nothing to play for.

We just lost to a Bills team that was missing 10 starters and already out of the playoffs..............and you think we would be a lock to win over the Titans?

Highly doubtful, the results of this year show we are 1-10 without Romo and even Jerry himself is at a loss to explain this inability to win without Romo.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If that's true then it's an indictment of the staff that they didn't see the real issues with the team and thought bringing a bum like Matt Cassel in for Weeden was the difference maker. Cassel had better defense and run game and still stunk up the joint worse than Weeden. In fact Cassel got worse as the weeks progressed, maybe the crappy system we have had a hand in that?

Fact is there is overwhelming evidence now that any QB not named Tony Romo cannot overcome Jason Garrett.

I think the staff saw that it couldn't win with Weeden, so it tried going a different direction. It wasn't like it was going to be able to resolve all of the issues that have emerged with this team, but it could try to solve the backup QB issue.

Weeden simply wasn't good enough to win with on this team. Performances like he's had the past two weeks weren't good enough to win with on this team. Those similar performances tell us Weeden was just as good in this crappy system as he is in the Texans' system, so maybe system is not the problem. Maybe the parts around him are.

As I said, I'm not a fan of Garrett's system because I don't think it's creative enough in forcing mismatches that favor the offense, but Weeden putting up similar numbers in Houston as he did here actually supports the system not being the issue.

Truth is we had chances to win with both Weeden and Cassel and the team wasn't good enough. If Weeden's "success" in Houston does anything, I hope it shows the Joneses that ... that making this team a winner isn't as much about finding a backup QB as it is about fixing the holes that make the team not good enough to win with a Weeden.

If the Texans can do it with Weeden putting up similar numbers to those he had here, then we need to figure out what we need to do to be able to have similar success.

Seeing the Texans win with similar play from Weeden just reinforces how sorry I feel for Romo. Imagine what he could do on a team that has all the parts in place that Dallas is missing. He should have left while he had the chance and went to a team that would have given him a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl. That he was able to go 12-4 with this team last year says a lot about his ability as a QB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Doesn't anybody in this organization ever get angry or embarrassed by the teams piss poor results???

Excuses upon excuses. Excuses are just well planned lies! Shouldn't the GM of the team KNOW what is wrong?

I'm not a billionaire like Jerry Jones...but I do know if I had so much time, money, and effort invested into something I would sure as hell want better than what this team had produced, especially the past 5 years.

As far as I'm concerned, last years winning season, and this years losing season are a wash. Factor in the remaining seasons that Red has been the HC, and we are average at best...NOT GOOD ENOUGH for the Dallas Cowboys!

We all feel ya, bro.

To me..

there was a time when it was important to win in Dallas.

Not so much anymore.

Its become about money. Since the new stadium was built..

the Jones' have made so much money with how they are running the stadium the team has become secondary at best.

Win or lose..these guys are millionaires many times over..

and that goes on whether we win or lose.

So there is no urgency despite the FO saying this or that.

Its just become very different anymore to be a Cowboys fan.

We are now 20 years removed from our last World Title.

Only 3 division titles over the same period and 3 playoff victories.

Let that sink in.

It tells you everything you need to know.

We are not an elite franchise and haven't been for 2 decades.

Ouch.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Statistically they arent getting more out of him, but im not watching the games, so maybe there is something im missing.

Its called a W

Other teams can get those with Weeden and we cant..............naturally, everybody is asking why?..............Jerry is at a loss to explain it as well.

Craig

Reaction score
So Jerry, why is it that Houston can coach up the Weed and win some game but your inept coaching staff cant?

"I don't have an answer for that," he said. "I really don't have an answer. ...

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
the response should have been: "they cant"

DandyDon52

Reaction score
In Houston weeden is being allowed to be a QB with no restrictions and is more motivated.
In Dallas he was restricted , and they tried to make him a bus driver, and he wasnt motivated, and then there is whole
predictable vanilla offense he had to run here.

on top of that the Houston defense is not going into some silly prevent defense at end of game that allows the
other team to score easily and win the game.
The Dallas defense held Tampa bay to 10 points and lost the game.
Buffalo could have won with just 7 points.

The titan who you all say is really bad have scored more points than the cowboys,
and only 1 team SF has scored less points than Dallas.
Dallas has scored only 6 points in 3 games, and 7 in the GB game , that might be a cowboy record.
In 15 games Dallas has scored more than 20 only 4 times, and they won 2 of those, and won 2 scoring 19 and 20.

So in 11 games we scored 20 or less and lost all of them. In 5 of those we scored 12 or less.

Ironically weeden has the high score for Dallas this year, even over romo with 28 points.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jones walked back a bit on his comments during his weekly radio show on Tuesday. Although he was stumped by Weeden's success in Houston -- "I don't have an answer for that, I really don't have an answer" -- he didn't blame the skid on his backup.

"I don't blame it all on the quarterback," Jones said. "I think we should have won. We should have coached them up enough. We have not done enough things in some of these games that we lost on our way to this record that we could have won. You see other teams doing it, and you see another team doing it with our quarterback that left here and couldn't do it."

Though Texans starter Brian Hoyer is in the final stages of concussion protocol and could very well take the field on Sunday against the Jaguars in Houston, seeing Weeden get some inner peace as a starter while in a supportive locker room setting is a positive considering what he's gone through.