ESPN Clayton Blog: Big Ben pushing for quick return (already working out)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ben Roethlisberger worked out at the Steelers' facility Monday, showing he is making his push to come back from his motorcycle accident and be ready for the start of training camp. You heard me right. He's pushing to be on the field at the start of training camp.

Roethlisberger has lost a few pounds from eating only soft foods because of his broken jaw, but his weight loss hasn't been too dramatic. The fact he is lifting weights is a sign he can handle some pain issues. Though his face is swollen from the crash, he reportedly looks like a boxer who had a fight about a week ago. His face doesn't look as bad as people might think. In fact, he's probably a week away from doing his first public interview.

Though the team may not be willing to put him on the field the first week of training camp, Roethlisberger is feeling good enough that he is going to make a push to be ready by the first practice.

Reed's smart play: Ed Reed's six-year, $40 million extension makes him the highest-paid safety in the NFL. He is being paid more like a top defensive playmaker instead of just a safety. Top NFL safeties make around $5 million. Reed gets a $15 million signing bonus. He made a smart move in re-signing.

First, it locks him up with the Ravens for the rest of his career. Second, he's going to do better financially getting this deal than making $1.93 million this year and getting two or three years of franchise tags that wouldn't have totaled close to the signing bonus number. For the Ravens, it's a great move because they have most of the team locked up for at least three years.

Brooks' stock rising: Ahmad Brooks, the Virginia linebacker eligible for the July 13 supplemental draft, needs to make a good visit with the 49ers. The 49ers were the first team to schedule a visit after last Thursday's workout. Brooks improved his stock by running in the 4.6 range and getting his weight to 260 pounds, 32 fewer than his weight 10 weeks ago. The 49ers need an impact linebacker on the other side of Manny Lawson, but Brooks has more experience in the system, coming from Al Groh's 3-4 scheme at Virginia. The debate is whether the 49ers can steal him with a fifth-round pick or if they have to use a second-round pick.

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
This just in -

Roethlisberger will reveal the new DOOM line of face masks at the Steelers first practice.

mfdoom.jpg

lspain1

Reaction score
WoodysGirl [B said:
Reed's smart play:[/B] Ed Reed's six-year, $40 million extension makes him the highest-paid safety in the NFL. He is being paid more like a top defensive playmaker instead of just a safety. Top NFL safeties make around $5 million. Reed gets a $15 million signing bonus. He made a smart move in re-signing.

First, it locks him up with the Ravens for the rest of his career. Second, he's going to do better financially getting this deal than making $1.93 million this year and getting two or three years of franchise tags that wouldn't have totaled close to the signing bonus number. For the Ravens, it's a great move because they have most of the team locked up for at least three years.

This contract has significant implications for negotiations with Roy Williams. I think this contract becomes the model for what we will want to do with Williams. We'll begin to see how the Cowboys can manage the salary cap for a team on the rise that needs to select and retain the core of the team.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Roethlisberger

http://i45.***BLOCKED***/albums/f78/dantanna86/a_vargas_195.jpg

http://i45.***BLOCKED***/albums/f78/dantanna86/s_rahman_i.jpg

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
DanTanna said:
Roethlisberger

http://i45.***BLOCKED***/albums/f78/dantanna86/a_vargas_195.jpg

http://i45.***BLOCKED***/albums/f78/dantanna86/s_rahman_i.jpg

:fight: :laugh2:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Glad to read big ben is doing great.....I want to beat him on the field

sago1

Reaction score
With all due respect for Roy Williams, he's not Ed Reed & vice versa. I think we should be able to resign Williams for less then Reed's getting. I just we want to make sure we resign both Witten & Williams before regular season begins. Also want to resign James but it's possible Cowboys will want to see what he does in second year as starter & emerging team leader but resign him FA period starts.

Also how Burnett fits into the equation this year probably also a factor. Supposedly this year Burnett's going to backup Ware (and probably Carpenter next year at other OLB position) but at some point Burnett's going to have to show whether he's better inside or outside unless of course he's got the versatility to play all 4 LB positions.