Espn.com Len Pasquerelli 1/4/05 Chat

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Len Pasquarelli: (12:00 PM ET ) hey, gang, happy new year to everyone . . . great time of year with the playoffs ready to begin. i'll be at indy on sunday and in front of the TV for the other three games. let's have at it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin-Maryland: Hey Len you have to answer on of my questions. Do you see the Panthers going after a RB early in the draft or trying to get on in free agency. Say Shaun Alexander. Also, other the RB, what do you think are the Panthers biggest off-season needs and who could fill some of those needs? Thanks Len.

Len Pasquarelli: (12:02 PM ET ) they've definitely got to upgrade the offensive line. a train wreck this season. and if muhammad departs, which is likely, another WR. as for RB, i was in carolina on sunday and, while stephen davis insists he will be back in '05, there is some doubt within the organization, so maybe that is a position they address.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AL DAVIS (OAKLAND): Should I fire my defensive staff?
Len Pasquarelli: (12:03 PM ET ) you should and, word is, you will
Cayne (Federal Way, WA): Mr. Pasquarelli, what's your thoughts on Mike Holmgren not allowing Shaun Alexander to get the rushing record? The free-agent-to-be was quite disgusted over it. I don't understand why the coach wouldn't allow his player to reach the accomplishment.

Len Pasquarelli: (12:07 PM ET ) it's not like mike holmgren didn't "allow" alexander to get the title. first off, yoiu play to win the game. last time i checked, the seahawks scored on the quarterback sneak and won the game. holmgren very much wanted the rushing title for alexander and felt, with 4:30 left in the game, he would get the ball back again. no way he could have known the falcons would hog the ball the rest of the game. let's be straignt on this, too: there was no financial incentive attached to alexander and the rushing title, so please, let's dispel those stupid rumors that holmgren was trying to save his boss some money. his boss, for god's sake, is paul allen, co-founder of microsoft. he needs to save money! alexander might want to think about the 350 other times he carried the ball and maybe missed a hole or two, huh?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brandon-Wisconsin: Len, what do you think the Packers will need to do in the offseason to address their problems on defense?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:10 PM ET ) they need a lot. they've got to get another lineman and at least one more linebacker. i think the young CBs they drafted this year will be fine, in time, but they need a safety. without a doubt, one of the worst tackling teams i saw all year. it will be interesting to see if sherman makes a change again at d-coordinator.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim (Orchard Park,NY): Is Jim Haslett safe in NO??

Len Pasquarelli: (12:12 PM ET ) he's safe if he want to be. question is, does he want to be? i spoke with jim after the saints lost on sunday and it's obvious he isn't happy with the organization the way it is curently structured. even before the game, he made some fairly pointed statments about GM mickey loomis and what he perceived as a lack of support from him. take it to the bank: haslett is going to force the issue of control. it might take a couple weeks, though, since owner tom benson just left for a vacation/honeymoon in hawaii.
brian billick (baltimore): who should i hire as my OC? and what WR's can i get in the draft this year?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:14 PM ET ) you're the self-styled genius, brian, so i'm pretty much unworthy of offering advice to a man as smart as you. that said, i'd take a long look at vikings coordinator scott linehan, who is a free agent after the minny season ends. as for the draft, i haven't started even my preliminary work on that yet. but you definitely need to upgrade there if boller is ever going to succeed
Andy Reid (Philadelphia): Was my decision correct to not start most of my first offense, including Donovan McNabb and Brian Westbrook in the season's finale against the Bengals on Sunday? Will this hurt out chances to go to the Superbowl?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:16 PM ET ) sorry, andy, i love you, but i think you put yourself squarely in the crosshairs with your approach, especially on offense. you now go into the playoffs with the offense in a state of inertia. it will have been four weeks since mcnabb played meaninful snaps. i just don't think you can flip a switch and regain momentum so quickly
Sean (Madison): Len P. - As a Vikings fan, it seems to me that there is no real hope for the Vikes until Red is able to sell the team. Of course, no one wants to buy the team at the price he is asking. How do you see this playing out, will he get a buyer or will I be stuck watching the same B-level talent at every position but the occassional great QB, WR, DT or CB?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:18 PM ET ) red isn't selling until someone ponies up $600 million and no one, glen taylor incliuded, is inclined to do so. so, for now, you're stuck with mccombs.
Josh (Richlands, NC): Len, I heard you think it will be the Eagles and the Patriots in the big game. Do you really think the Patriots can make it out of Pittsburgh with a win? Us Steeler fans haven't forgot about the AFC championship a few years ago and our team has not forgot either. The Steelers will be looking for revenge and get their BUS tickets ready for Jacksonville. Beleive that!

Len Pasquarelli: (12:21 PM ET ) first off, i'm not assuming the pats will have to play at pittsburgh in the afc championship game. i think san diego will give pittsburgh all it can handle. as for revenge, yeah, the steelers ought to be seeking it for that '01 loss in the afc title game. need i remind you, it's one of three afc title game losses at home under bill chower, who has a losing playoff record. steelers fans, and i love them, like to live in the past. they'd better hope they don't relive the recent past again.
Eric (NY): Is Bledsoe back with the Bills next year, or do we get a chance to see a mobile QB in Losman???

Len Pasquarelli: (12:23 PM ET ) no doubt this is the toughest question for the bills in the offseason. they've got a really good team surrounding bledsoe, but he has just deteriorated so much. i think he's back, because losman isn't ready yet. but, man, they're going to have to do a rehabilitation job on drew again. mechanics are bad, arm isn;t what it used to be, obviously holds the ball way too long. great defense and special teams but need a trigger man on offense
David (Raleigh, NC): Hey Len, Happy New Year!! Len, where do you see Mushin Muhammed playing next year? He is under contract for the Panthers but has a 10 million dollar roster bonus due in March. Will he restructure or is he no longer a Panther? Whats teams might show interest?
Len Pasquarelli: (12:25 PM ET ) moose said all the right things sunday night after the game about wanting to come back. but i don't see it happening. it's way too early to stary predicing where free agents will end up, but don't rule out the giants.
Cain: Steelers HAVE to franchise Plaxico right?!

Len Pasquarelli: (12:27 PM ET ) steelers have used the franchise tag pretty infrequently and i doublt they'll invest $7-$8 million to use it on plax. that said, i do think they have to make an honest effort to keep him. they aren';t the same team with him out of the lineup.
Sean (C-Town): With the emergence of Keydrick Vincent, do the Steelers sign him long term and cut the oft-maligned OG Simmons?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:29 PM ET ) i don't think simmons is oft-maligned, just oft-injured. he's a really good player. vincent is going to want a lot of money, even though guards are always undervalkued in the nfl. don't know if the steelers can keep both, but i doubt it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Neal (Philly): Will either of the Eagles coordinators (Jim Johnson and Brad Childress) get head coaching positions?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:31 PM ET ) childress is interviewing, i think today in fact, with the browns. can't see JJ leaving. and, really, there aren';t going to be that many openings, it seems
A.J.(VA): Do you see the Commanders picking up Plaxico Burress,Jerry Porter, or John Abraham? Also what do you think they should do with the 9th pick in the draft?
Len Pasquarelli: (12:33 PM ET ) knowing snyder, he'll probably trade the pick. snyder has insisted that the team wiuth which he played in 2004 wilkl be the basic team for the next three years. of course, he said the same thing in 2003, and then went out and spent on free agents and rang up the largest payroll in nfl history. snyder can't help himself when it comes to free agency. don't know who he will target, but you can bet he'll open the checkbook once again, sooner or later, maybe it will dawn on him that you have to succeed in the draft and have to build some continuity.
kyle moline: how in the world does vick go to the pro bowl over brett favre

Len Pasquarelli: (12:34 PM ET ) you're abut the 10th person to ask that question today. i don't vote for the pro bowl, so i don't know. i do agree with you, however.
Michael (San Francisco, CA): Len, any word what York is going to do with the 49ers?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:35 PM ET ) he's meeting again today with erickson and donahue. no one will be shocked if he just blows the whole thing up. now, where he goes from there, who knows?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
John (New Orleans, LA): Len, do you think the NFL should change it's current Pro Bowl voting schedule to after the 17 week schedule? why is it that they omit the final 2 weeks of the season?
Len Pasquarelli: (12:37 PM ET ) i've always thought that, like the baseball all-star game, the pro bowl is too political and the voting flawed. then again, how many people even watch the thing and take it seriously?
Brian (Balt): What do you think of the Ravens switching back to the 4-3? (I ask this even though last week you forgot the ravens ran a 3-4)

Len Pasquarelli: (12:38 PM ET ) uh, thanks for the reminder about last week's brain spasm. just kidding. i still think their strength lies in the linebackers. a lot may depend on whether coordinator mike nolan stays or gets a head coaching job. it just seems like they've drafted linemen more suited to the 3-4, and will probably stick with it.
PaulieP (Tempe): I personally don't think they should even play the probowl, too much chance for stupid injuries, What would you think of just having the players have a ceremony in Hawaii and maybe getting a plaque or something?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:40 PM ET ) geez, why even reward them with a trip to hawaii? even the minimum salarry is enough for them to afford their own trip.
Randy, VA: Len, Do you think that the Steelers should hold try and sign Bell? He is been hurt often but what will his market price be?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:42 PM ET ) no, the guy is never on the field. save the money for something else.
Donnie (Richmond, VA): Len, how soon we forget that a year ago Denver went into Indy and waxed them only to get waxed 2 weeks later. This game will be GOOD, no, GREAT! Admit it, Denver has a better shot than people think!

Len Pasquarelli: (12:43 PM ET ) sure, they've got a chance. and, as usual with the broncos, a lot depends on how plummer plays. also, no one can afford to play from behind in indy. crowd makes it tough and colts offense is always trying to bury the opposition. it's the game to which i've been assigned, so, sure, i hope it's competitive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Javon Walker (Green Bay, WI): Hey Lenny, what do you think about my breakout year? I plan to be as good, if not better then, T.O. and Randy, what are my chances?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:44 PM ET ) man, you are a stud. looking forward to seeing you here in atlanta in the divisional round.
Andy (Kenosha, WI): I never hear anyone mention the fact that the Chargers and Falcons are playing schedules based on their (poor) records from last year. Does this even really matter?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:46 PM ET ) my feeling is you shuold never apologize in the nfl for your scheduyle. you play the teams you're supposed to play and, if you win, god bless you. i think the falcons and chargers, schedules aside, are playoff worthy teams this season.
Waid (Woodstock, GA): Len, Do you believe Atlanta has chance to beat Philidelphia in Philly with the absence of Terrell Owens?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:48 PM ET ) here's what i think: of all the quarterbacks in the playoiffs, vick is the most likely to have, like, a seven-for-21 outing . . . and still win. the guy is a great equalizer. he almost beat the eagles in philly two years ago. my memory is a little vague on this one, but i think he scored the tying or go-ahead touchdown on a run, but it was called back on a penalty. he's the x-factor in every gsme he plays.
Ed Reed (Balt,MD): Do you feel the Ravens signing Ray Lewis back will hurt there chances of resigning Hartwell and Baxter? Also next year Ed Reed?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:50 PM ET ) just me, but i wouldn't overpay for ray, even if he is the spiritual leader of that team. i like hatwell a lot. baxter had a terrible yrear, really regressed, and i'd probaboy let him move on.
vp3 (new orleans): it's no secret you're a saints fan, what do you think the problems are in new orleans? coaching? ownership? front office? and do you think we should be in the playoffs?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:52 PM ET ) first off, i'm not a fan of any team, ok? i do have a friendship of sorts with him haslett but also feel the saints are the most underachieving team in the league over the last three years. they need to reshape the managemertn flow there, it seems, bring in a few more character players, swallow hard and cut some dead wood, challenge aaron brooks by bringing in a veteran QB who might actually compete with him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ronnie (Miami): The Dolphins lost 7 games this season by one TD or less. Having said that, don't you think it is possible to make the playoffs next year?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:53 PM ET ) no. i don't. two years, maybe. this team isn't quite as talented as people think. there have been some real big mistakes by the personnel people there.
cleveland doggy dawg(cleveland): Is Phil Salvage the lock for GM, or was he really was just the first interview.

Len Pasquarelli: (12:55 PM ET ) i don't think he's a "lock" but the list of candidates is certainly dwindling. and if he gets the job, i think phil will do well. my only question about phil is how he will construct the front office. don't know if you know this but, in all his years with the ravens, phil has worked out of his home, in mobile, ala. working in an office, having to be answerable to people every day, in person, is a little different gig.
Jim (Buffalo): How come Tom Modrak aint getting any love for GM??

Len Pasquarelli: (12:57 PM ET ) great question. a great guy, top talent evaluator, should have bene a GM a long time ago. it really makes me wonder about an age bias in the nfl.
Tony Lake Mary Florda: Why must you always pick against the Eagles are you a Eagle hater?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:59 PM ET ) again, i don't pick "against" anyone. I love andy reid, good friend. but i'm as entitled to my opinions as are you. that's all this is. i'm no scout, no coacxh, no expert. never claimed to be. i'm just a hack, who happens to cover the nfl, tries t work hard st it, tries to report as well as possible and, like everyone else, forms an opinion or two.
Bill Cowher (Heinz Field, PA): I think I should be coach of the year, but some say it should be my mentor Marty...what do you think?

Len Pasquarelli: (12:59 PM ET ) bill belichick.
rob (atl): Will Del Rio be the Jaguars coach next year? Please say yes!

Len Pasquarelli: (1:00 PM ET ) yeah, he'll be back.
Adam (Greensboro): What do you think of Biscotti denying the Browns the option to tak to Ozzie??

Len Pasquarelli: (1:03 PM ET ) all he did was follow the rules. truth be told, the browns should not have even bene able to seek permission. ozzie is viewed as the "decision maker" in the ravens' football organization, for lack of a better term. so even if the browns were to make him team president, according to the rules, it would not be a promotion. plus, ozzie knew when he signed his extension a couople years ago what his contract allowed. it would have been great to get ozzie back to cleveland. THE perfect fit. but it ain't hapening.
Dave (Vira) PA: Do u think the steelers will win the super bowl? If not them then who will win it?

Len Pasquarelli: (1:03 PM ET ) patriots
Joe(Somerville,NJ): In your opinion what was wrong with Washington's offense this past year, the talent or the coaching?

Len Pasquarelli: (1:06 PM ET ) both. a lot of bad fits personnel-wide for what they were trying to do. then again, i'm noit sure i know what they were trying to do. hey, tnanks for the questions today, got to run and check out some coaching stuff. enjoy this weekend's games!