Espn.com reports Ray Lewis raving about the teams 46 defense

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now what do you guys think about that coming back? From what I read, it's not going to be full-time 46. Boller was quoted as saying they've been running a lil bit of everything, 3-4, 4-3, & 4-6...

Hmmm, should be interesting to watch

--------------
Updated: June 13, 2005, 3:29 PM ET
Scheme should aid LB's freelancing

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- No one is happier to be a part of the Baltimore Ravens' new 46 defense than middle linebacker Ray Lewis, who can't wait to again experience the freedom of hunting down running backs without the hassle of shaking off bothersome offensive linemen.

The scheme was originally devised by Buddy Ryan for the 1986 Chicago Bears, who won a Super Bowl behind the standout play of middle linebacker Mike Singletary. Ryan is the father of Ravens first-year defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who has installed the high-pressure alignment in part to allow Lewis to attack the football without having to take on the kind of isolation blocks that at times limited his effectiveness last season.

"That's like telling your premier running back that you're going to make sure he's not going to be touched in a football game,'' Lewis said Monday after the opening session of a four-day mandatory minicamp. "To come into camp and have my defensive coordinator tell me I'm not going to be touched, I'm like a little kid all over again.''

Playing last season in the 3-4 alignment of defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who left to become head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, Lewis led the Ravens with 200 tackles and was selected to play in the Pro Bowl for a seventh time. But his effectiveness was dependent upon his ability to battle through the isolation blocks of opposing linemen.

That shouldn't be a problem this season.

"We're excited about getting the bull's-eye off Ray Lewis,'' Rex Ryan said. "He doesn't need to be a nose guard this year. We should be in great shape against the running game. You don't have a blocker for Ray.''

Head coach Brian Billick said, "It fits Ray and his expertise in the middle. I can't speak for Ray, but I would think he's very excited about the potential this holds.''

Now in his 10th season, Lewis made a name for himself early in his career by tracking down running backs and dropping them with a ferocious tackle. If all goes as planned, he will return to that role in 2005.

"That's what I do. I don't try to bash people and try to get to the football. I get to the running back,'' Lewis said. "No running back wants to face me in this league.''

The Ravens' defense last year restricted Lewis from running free, but he accepted his role and performed as best he could under the circumstances.

"It's tough, because you have to humble yourself and take coaching and do whatever they tell you to do,'' Lewis said. "Whether it takes away from your game or helps it, you just deal with it. That's what I did. It didn't alter how I prepared, it didn't alter my passion for the game. But at the same time, it alters how dominant I can be.''

It was a different kind of offseason for Lewis, who decided to taper his relentless workouts in favor of letting his mind and body heal following a disappointing 9-7 season that ended without a trip to the playoffs.

"Usually I'm right back at it in three weeks, but this year I took two months off,'' he said. "I got away from being involved in anything that had to do with football. Instead, I dealt with my family and kids.''

There has been speculation that Lewis would be a holdout at camp because he wants to re-negotiate his contract, but he attended a voluntary session last week and insisted that money matters are not weighing on his mind.

"Now is not the time to speak about a contract,'' he said.

Running back Jamal Lewis, who is serving time at a halfway house in Atlanta, and Terrell Suggs, who is being tried in Arizona on assault charges, were among those missing at Monday's session. Defensive back Deion Sanders was excused to take care of a personal issue.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2084252

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
all i have to say is they havea great D HC, and he can make this happen i'm glad we faced this team lastyear (even though we got beat pretty badly)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
200 Tackles and he's excited about 46? Thats a nice change of pace but there is a reason its been somewhat extincted. Wait till teams spread him and Suggs with 3 and 4 WR sets - LOL

Reaction score
Wow very interesting they have Indy I think the first game. It'll be a good test against Peyton. Lewis had a down year looks like he's on the rebound.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
You need this repeated. The 46 has SIMILARITIES on how it attacks an offensive line. Guys up and down in the box. But the 46 has their Safety (Fencik in a LB role) in is far more at risk as teams went to a 3 or 4 wide set.... Early 90's on 46 was extincted but it posed similar principles to the 3-4. The 3-4 has evolved into a unit today that can drop LB's and DE's into coverage and actually exploit teams trying to attack that weakness.

Roy could be our 46, that would be a sweet change of pacse and aggressive use of his ability here....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The Ravens defense is scary enough without the 46. Be interesting to see if the apple fell far from the tree or not.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Just a gut call, Raven and Lewis D are on a decline. Parts are getting stripped off and age setting in.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WilmingtonHeel said:
Wow very interesting they have Indy I think the first game. It'll be a good test against Peyton. Lewis had a down year looks like he's on the rebound.
I wouldn't mind seeing that game. Should be very interesting.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Lewis is a monster. I love his style of play and attitude towards football..though I can't agree with some of the issues he's been cought up in off the field. Hell of a football player, and definately, IMO will be one of the best to ever play MLB, but not the best, as he hopes to be.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I do not see any team in this era pulling off more than an occasional 46 offering. 3 and 4 WR sets will own it. Reed/Demps are good safeties but they aren't in the box guys. Not sure you want to lose that coverage by brigning either up into the box. Will put a lot more pressure on the CBs.

playit12

Reaction score
jterrell said:
I do not see any team in this era pulling off more than an occasional 46 offering. 3 and 4 WR sets will own it. Reed/Demps are good safeties but they aren't in the box guys. Not sure you want to lose that coverage by brigning either up into the box. Will put a lot more pressure on the CBs.

The skins did quite a few 46 looks last year and it seems to have worked out alright for them.

Reaction score
Its a great scheme if used correctly...

Obviously it depends on not only how you use it, but who your playing and if the offense can handle the pressure...

If they can't it can quickly intimidate the team your playing into mistakes and FEAR!

A far cry from what our so called DC has been doing in the past...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
They seem to think they'll survive with the quality of CBs they'll have. Samari Rolle, Chris McAlister - starting. Backups would be Deion and Dale Carter. Altho, two of them are past their prime, they might be able to hold their own in limited duty, barring injury.

I'm just not sure it's something they can run full-time because of the age/health factors surrounding their CBs

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The 46 gets beaten by a well-run WCO and 4 receiver sets...

The Indy game should be interesting...