Espn.com Roscoe Crosby cramps up, cuts short workout...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know there was some who thought he was worth drafting, so here's info about his workout...
-----------
Even if undrafted, receiver likely to get a shot

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/archive?columnist=pasquarelli_len&root=nfl
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive

With the heat index hovering around 100 degrees, former Clemson wide receiver Roscoe Crosby suffered leg cramps that forced him to cut short his Friday audition for NFL scouts.

How much the truncated workout cramps Crosby's value in the July 14 supplemental draft remains to be seen. The unfinished session leaves unsettled the issue of just how high a pick a team might be willing to invest in a prospect who has appeared in only one football game since 2001.

"The heat was a big thing," said Crosby, whose workout drew scouts from 17 teams, at least three of which had indicated legitimate interest in the former two-sport star. "I'm hoping that they saw enough before I was forced to quit to show them my potential. I know there's still work to be done, but I feel like I helped myself."

Crosby, 22, measured 6 feet 2 and 218 pounds. He performed 18 repetitions of the NFL-standard 225 pounds in the bench press. And he was clocked in the mid-4.4s on one of his 40-yard sprints and in the high-4.4s on another. The portion of the workout that was cut short when Crosby's right leg cramped was the on-field segment, which was aimed at demonstrating his route-running and receiving skills.

Only a few minutes into that part of the audition, after snagging some passes from NFL veteran free agent quarterback Shaun King, Crosby was forced to stop.

Before the workout, the consensus around the league was that Crosby might be a sixth- or seventh-round choice in the supplemental draft. A team that uses a supplemental choice on a player in the lottery must forfeit its corresponding-round pick in the 2006 draft. The only supplemental prospect who seems assured of being chosen is Southern California defensive tackle Manuel Wright, who will work out for scouts next Friday, and who probably will be selected with a middle-round choice.

Of the five other players confirmed in the supplemental draft, a lottery held for special-case players, usually those who have lost their college eligibility because of academics or other reasons, Crosby probably has the best chance of being chosen. Even if he is not selected, Crosby has drawn enough interest that he should have the opportunity to go to an NFL training camp as a free agent.

In 2001, as a Clemson freshman, the highly touted Crosby caught 27 passes for 465 yards and four touchdowns. A second-round draft choice of the Kansas City Royals, he signed a baseball contract, but his career in that sport was curtailed by an elbow injury. Crosby returned to football in 2003, but quit the Clemson squad after one game, citing his depression after the drowning death of his brother and the loss of three close friends in an automobile accident.

In February, Crosby lost an arbitration case in which he sought to have the Royals pay him $750,000 they had withheld from his $1.75 million signing bonus.

Crosby, whose childhood heroes included former San Francisco 49ers wide receivers Jerry Rice and John Taylor, said be briefly considered enrolling at a Division II school because he has three seasons of football eligibility remaining.

"But it's time to move on with my professional life," Crosby said, "and I believe that I have the skills to play in the NFL."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here
in.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2099496

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think he is a practice squad guy this year for someone.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Any info if the cowboys were one of the 17 teams present for the workout?

Don't see the harm in spending a 6 or 7 on this kid.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
This isn't Randal Williams. I don't believe Randal Williams was widely regarded one of the best HS recruits in the country in a class that included Cedric Benson, Michael Clayton, Larry Fitzgerald, Tommie Harris, Shaun Cody, Reggie Williams. I also don't believe Randal Williams was breaking freshman receiving records for his school in a major football conference.

I don't think most of the guys in the NFL making the final roster as 5th or 6th WR's are going to be impact guys, and they'll most likely be deactivated for games. I think whatever team takes him in the 6th or 7th round will definitely keep him on their final roster for a year. He won't clear waivers.

I doubt abruptng the session short will have much difference. He's already had one workout for scouts, this workout was just a followup because there was such a buzz about him after the first one. He measured at 6'2" 214, ran 4.41 on the first run and 4.44 on the 2nd, and did 17 reps on the bench press.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
This isn't Randal Williams. I don't believe Randal Williams was widely regarded one of the best HS recruits in the country in a class that included Cedric Benson, Michael Clayton, Larry Fitzgerald, Tommie Harris, Shaun Cody, Reggie Williams. I also don't believe Randal Williams was breaking freshman receiving records for his school in a major football conference.

I don't think most of the guys in the NFL making the final roster as 5th or 6th WR's are going to be impact guys, and they'll most likely be deactivated for games. I think whatever team takes him in the 6th or 7th round will definitely keep him on their final roster for a year. He won't clear waivers.

I doubt abruptng the session short will have much difference. He's already had one workout for scouts, this workout was just a followup because there was such a buzz about him after the first one. He measured at 6'2" 214, ran 4.41 on the first run and 4.44 on the 2nd, and did 17 reps on the bench press.

All of those recruits so severely outplayed this kid on the college level it isn't even funny.

He was a raw kid as a freshman with awesome athleticism.
Now he's a grown man whose 2 to 4 years behind other Wrs.

He's a 6'2" 218 pound guy with mid 4.4 speed.
Thats very good but not special.
Thats Kelley Washington type numbers. Washington is another guy who was up in years and was a multi-sport kid. Washington put together some time at Tennessee before coming out.

This kid is coming out after zero college work in 4 years.

He may have a pro future but chances are next to zero of him making a regular roster this year unless he is an outstanding special teams guy.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Not sure if I posted this or not but my son is a Clemson addict. He said he compares very favorably to Rod Gardner. He said he was a faster more athletic guy actually. Had Tommy John surgery on the elbow. I can't say I fault him for going the baseball route as he was supposedly a better BB than FB player.

Agree though he's been away which makes him a long shot. He was a starter on the Clemson squad before quitting after one game. Not sure how to take that but loosing a brother then I think either two or three friends right there together after busting in BB must have been too much. I can't really place any red flags there with all that going on in his life altho it does make me wonder.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
scouts inc take on him:

Scouts, Inc. on Crosby
Roscoe Crosby was raw and inconsistent when he played in 2001 and briefly in 2003. He is rusty and has been out of football essentially for three seasons. He struggled to stay healthy at Clemson and had lingering elbow injuries. He lacks savvy as a route runner. Needs to improve his moves in order to get off the line of scrimmage. He lacks recognition skills and has never done a good job of reading coverages. He does not show a consistent ability to find the soft spots in zone or set up defenders in man-coverage. He lacks natural instincts as a receiver. His focus is inconsistent. He will drop some "catchable" balls when he's looking to make something happen before he secures it. He doesn't show the same effort on every play. He doesn't show great toughness. Won't make enough plays in traffic and can be tentative over the middle. He takes plays off and doesn't work as hard as he should as a backside receiver. He needs to improve his technique and consistency as a blocker, as well.
Crosby does, however, have an intriguing combination of size, speed and natural athletic ability. He shows good feet and initial quickness. He gets to top speed quickly and he shows the acceleration to consistently get over the top of man-to-man coverage. He has good height, long arms and a wide wingspan. He has very good leaping ability. Is a huge matchup weapon on fade routes, vertical routes and in the red zone. Is at his best working on the perimeter. Shows excellent balance and body control. Also shows good sideline awareness and will make the acrobatic catch and keep his feet inbounds. He has a solid frame and is difficult to defend when he gets his body between the ball and defender. He has big, soft hands. Shows the ability to pluck on the run and snatch away from his frame. Has flashed the ability to catch over his head and to adjust to the deep ball over his shoulder. He has good closing burst to track down the deep ball when it's in the air. He is quick to get upfield after the catch and can be extremely explosive in space. Has decent elusiveness but is a big threat after the catch because of his quickness, change-of-direction skills, vision as a runner and explosive second-gear when he hits daylight.

Overall, Crosby is considered unpolished and unreliable. He has loads of baggage and durability issues that will cause him to slip in the upcoming supplemental draft. However, his size/speed ratio and natural athletic ability could persuade a team to use a late-round pick on him as a long-range developmental project.
– Todd McShay

Mkyle

Benched
Reaction score
He's another baseball player!

Just think about this for a minute....I think Jerra is smarter than anyone thinks. I think JJ is signing baseball players to play football, and then when the football season is over....wah-lah, JJ's got a baseball team! :eek:

He be a smart guy, that JJ! Two for the price of one....

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with DT Wright in around the 4th.

I think he's got some upside at a spot we're a little thin at, if you ask me.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with DT Wright in around the 4th.

I think he's got some upside at a spot we're a little thin at, if you ask me.
Thought we didn't have a 4th cuz of the trade for Canty? I think the Eagles have our 4th next year.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Thought we didn't have a 4th cuz of the trade for Canty? I think the Eagles have our 4th next year.

Fine... then one of the other late rounds, Miss Smarty Pants.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField said:
Fine... then one of the other late rounds, Miss Smarty Pants.
I was just asking...:grin:

So sensitive tonight **. Football withdrawal getting to you that much?

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Crosby is only 22 though guys. SO what if we get him and PS him for a year. Next year he would be a more polished 6'2 218 lber with 4.4 speed and STILL only be 23, or the normal age of a draft pick coming out of college.

Big deal? why not take a chance.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Muhast said:
Crosby is only 22 though guys. SO what if we get him and PS him for a year. Next year he would be a more polished 6'2 218 lber with 4.4 speed and STILL only be 23, or the normal age of a draft pick coming out of college.

I would have no problem of nabbing him with a 6th or 7th.
The question becomes can you sneak him by on the PS all year or is someone willing to burn a roster spot on him like we did with some guys who should have been PS players. Guys like Brett Pierce.

If you look at KJ, Glenn, Morgan, Crayton, Copper, Crowder where does he fit on that list?

He has 26 catches on the college level. I'd prolly place him between Copper and Crowder which means he couldn't make the 52 man roster and if he doesn't and someone else is willing to carry him all year he is a waste of a draft pick.

He has alot of talent but very little production. Clemson wasn't exactly a pro style offense to learn in.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Muhast said:

I agree with you on this. The math is easy.

Potential reward > potenitia risk

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm a subscriber to nfldraftscout.com and they said he scheduled another workout indoors for his shuttle drills and WR positional drills. They say he'll be picked in the 6th or 7th round depending on his workout results, and list KC, Dallas, Seattle and Carolina as the most interested teams.