ESPN: Countdown Confidential: Phillips taking huge risk in preparing for Steelers

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
by Ed Werder

Phillips taking huge risk in preparing for Steelers: In preparing for what might be the Cowboys' toughest challenge of the season, a cold-weather game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas coach Wade Phillips told 30-something starters Terrell Owens, offensive tackles Marc Colombo and Flozell Adams, linebacker Zach Thomas and outside linebacker Greg Ellis to go home and rest. Meanwhile, their teammates practiced for an opponent they have not played since 2004.

That means three of the players most responsible for protecting quarterback Tony Romo from the fiercest pass rush in the league were not on the practice field -- running back Marion Barber and both offensive tackles. Barber is recovering from a dislocated toe and will be heavily responsible for blitz pickups in Sunday's game.

"If you stay within the system and do things the right way, you have a chance," Romo said. "You're just going to have to sometimes rely on your instincts a little bit because they're going to do stuff that's going to confuse you as a quarterback."

Romo's point is that Pittsburgh uses excellent defensive personnel, a unique scheme and unpredictable tendencies to create confusion and breakdowns that allow James Harrison and Troy Polamalu the chance to win games for the Steelers on defense. It seems logical the Cowboys would want their key blocking personnel to have all the repetitions they could provide those players.

Adding to the oddity of the decision is the fact the Cowboys had four of the previous five days off. Factor in the team's history of December failure and that Phillips has never led a team to an NFL playoff victory as a head coach, and the risk becomes more apparent.

Phillips certainly has opened himself up to criticism if his team plays badly, much as he did when he gave the Cowboys enough time off before last season's playoff loss to the New York Giants that Romo and Jason Witten vacationed in Cabo San Lucas while several defensive starters went to New Orleans for the college championship game.

Clearly, Phillips has made the game's first risky play before even putting on his headset.

-- Ed Werder

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?page=sundaycountdown08

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Anyone who questons why Werder gets "next questioned" just read this.

He does not portray TO or the Cowboys in a positive light.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the players in question have one practice off this week?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462408 said:
by Ed Werder

Phillips taking huge risk in preparing for Steelers: In preparing for what might be the Cowboys' toughest challenge of the season, a cold-weather game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas coach Wade Phillips told 30-something starters Terrell Owens, offensive tackles Marc Colombo and Flozell Adams, linebacker Zach Thomas and outside linebacker Greg Ellis to go home and rest. Meanwhile, their teammates practiced for an opponent they have not played since 2004.

That means three of the players most responsible for protecting quarterback Tony Romo from the fiercest pass rush in the league were not on the practice field -- running back Marion Barber and both offensive tackles. Barber is recovering from a dislocated toe and will be heavily responsible for blitz pickups in Sunday's game.

"If you stay within the system and do things the right way, you have a chance," Romo said. "You're just going to have to sometimes rely on your instincts a little bit because they're going to do stuff that's going to confuse you as a quarterback."

Romo's point is that Pittsburgh uses excellent defensive personnel, a unique scheme and unpredictable tendencies to create confusion and breakdowns that allow James Harrison and Troy Polamalu the chance to win games for the Steelers on defense. It seems logical the Cowboys would want their key blocking personnel to have all the repetitions they could provide those players.

Adding to the oddity of the decision is the fact the Cowboys had four of the previous five days off. Factor in the team's history of December failure and that Phillips has never led a team to an NFL playoff victory as a head coach, and the risk becomes more apparent.

Phillips certainly has opened himself up to criticism if his team plays badly, much as he did when he gave the Cowboys enough time off before last season's playoff loss to the New York Giants that Romo and Jason Witten vacationed in Cabo San Lucas while several defensive starters went to New Orleans for the college championship game.

Clearly, Phillips has made the game's first risky play before even putting on his headset.

-- Ed Werder

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?page=sundaycountdown08

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Pitt coach give some of his vets Wednesday off? Sniff, sniff...I smell a Werder agenda....

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
lol

but what about jessica simpson.

Ed hit all the moron talking points except jessica simpson.

Too bad. Maybe this weekend he will find a way to sneak her in.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;2462428 said:
Werder gives the Stealers to much credit.
I think alot of people do. For all the justifiable props they get on defense, they're only one game better than the 'boys.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
This is such a big game for us, as are all of our remaining games. Nice that
Ed takes the time to put doubt in our future with his dumbalysis. What a guy.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Love how Werder leaves out that the players were there for film study, walkthrough, and walkthrough film review -- everything except drills on the field.

And that they had an extra practice on Monday.

I'm sure Werder knows the real story, but who cares about facts? This is more sensational. :rolleyes:

RoadRunner

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462435 said:
I think alot of people do. For all the justifiable props they get on defense, they're only one game better than the 'boys.

Yep, and Pittsburgh also didn't have to try and get by 3 games without Roethlisberger with as bad a QB as Brad Johnson starting for them.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462435 said:

they're overrated.

Givincer

Reaction score
I think the huge risk would be practicing them, and one of them getting hurt.

How'd this guy get the Dallas assignment anyway? Really?

bigE79

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462435 said:
No,that cannot be right,this sqealler team is surely the greatest ever,how can they only have a 1 game lead on the cowboys...WOW:star:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2462449 said:
they're overrated.
Their defense? Nah. Their defense gets props for a reason. They've got a good all-around defense.

Their offense is pretty average, which makes Pitt a very beatable team.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462461 said:
Their defense? Nah. Their defense gets props for a reason. They've got a good all-around defense.

Their offense is pretty average, which makes Pitt a very beatable team.

They are very beatable. They're 1-2 against the NFCE this year.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Ed Werder refuses to be irrelevant when it comes to Dallas....but he is and he knows it. Which is why he continues to pound away. What a sad existence

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2462466 said:
They are very beatable. They're 1-2 against the NFCE this year.
They are 3-3 in games against teams with a winning record.

In their 9 wins, only 3 teams have winning records, .. Wash, Balt, NE.

The records of the other 6 wins on their schedule is 42-65.

Two of those wins are against 1-10 Cinncy.

Like WG said, they are beatable.

I think we are better than they are actually.