Video: ESPN: Cowboys have jobs open; who will secure them?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Cowboys have jobs open; who will secure them?
i

i
Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys close the preseason tonight against the Houston Texans at AT&T Stadium.

On a team that did not have very many open competitions at the start of training camp, only a few spots remain up for debate at the bottom of the roster.

“There are spots open and they are competing not only against what’s here on this team, but they’re competing against all of the other players in the NFL right now,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “They know it’s not just on this team where the competition is. It’s going to be a big game for a lot of players that are looking for those last four or five roster spots that are on the line. I know they are aware of that. And I know the coaches make them aware of it. But nothing is given to you, so it’s going to be a big deal.”

The Cowboys have to reach the 53-man roster limit on Saturday and already have had discussions regarding how many players to keep at each position, but they have not finalized their thoughts. Jason Garrett said a player can’t win a job with one solid performance in the final preseason game, that the team used the entire summer as an evaluation period.

But a strong showing tonight won’t hurt.

Here are some players who have something to prove:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4744828/cowboys-have-jobs-open-who-secures-them

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Video embedded and pretty good. One commentator predicts Romo as MVP. Sean Lee comments. One calls Carr....Used Carr. Following video is on Dez.

Check out the left hand part of the page where there are multiple articles.

If you start the first video and have autoplay on then you'll get multiple Cowboy related videos.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Vaughn, Smith and Gardner are the only players who need to prove (tonight) they belong on the 53-man roster. Weems is in by default and Showers will intentionally not get enough exposure so he can be quietly slipped onto the PS.

Brinkley may be the only thumper at LB but his limitations (no STs) will be his undoing. I think the Smith kid could push him off the roster with a nice showing tonight, especially if he performs on STs.

I'd like to think Swaim has made the team but you never know.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Vaughn, Smith and Gardner are the only players who need to prove (tonight) they belong on the 53-man roster. Weems is in by default and Showers will intentionally not get enough exposure so he can be quietly slipped onto the PS.

Brinkley may be the only thumper at LB but his limitations (no STs) will be his undoing. I think the Smith kid could push him off the roster with a nice showing tonight, especially if he performs on STs.

I'd like to think Swaim has made the team but you never know.

I'd like to think Swaim has made it too, but I think he'll get cut. I just don't see us carrying Witten, Escobar, Hanna, Swaim, AND Clutts.

I would love to see Swaim make the team, as he's the most Witten-esque looking guy we have, but Hanna has proven he can contribute and Escobar is a matchup nightmare up the seams. I also don't see us going without a fullback for the power running formations.

Maybe we go short at another position or we go long at TE for now in order to keep Swaim on the roster until Hardy and McClain are back from suspension, and perhaps swing a trade for a conditional pick for Hanna? Jacksonville could use a TE.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think Swaim has already made the team and I think he'll dress with the 45. I don't like the idea of Clutts on the team. I'd prefer a big back for those several plays a game we use a true FB. And use the big back for dirty yards and some swing passes.

We haven't lined up in the I formation with two RBs in a while. Maybe when Anderson was here.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I think Swaim has already made the team and I think he'll dress with the 45. I don't like the idea of Clutts on the team. I'd prefer a big back for those several plays a game we use a true FB. And use the big back for dirty yards and some swing passes.

We haven't lined up in the I formation with two RBs in a while. Maybe when Anderson was here.

I like what Clutts represents but his blocking is not exceptional. Are the Cowboys willing to part with a TE who looks like the closest thing to a mini Jason Witten? I don't think so.

As casmith07 says, if Hanna has trade value, I would try and move him. If not, keep him and cut Clutts.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I like what Clutts represents but his blocking is not exceptional. Are the Cowboys willing to part with a TE who looks like the closest thing to a mini Jason Witten? I don't think so.

As casmith07 says, if Hanna has trade value, I would try and move him. If not, keep him and cut Clutts.

I doubt they want to cut Hanna. They like his blocking.