News: ESPN: Cowboys snap counts: defense

NewsBot

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- No team in the NFL needed more players on defense than the Dallas Cowboys in 2013. They had 41 defenders with cornerback Brandon Carr playing the most (1,116 snaps) and Dez Bryant playing the least (three). The Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints had the second most with 32 players on defense. In training camp, the Cowboys’ projected defensive line was Anthony Spencer, Jason Hatcher, Jeremiah Ratliff and DeMarcus Ware.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread has been in the News Zone for a bit, but I'm moving it over just because it's depressing enough that some of you will probably get a kick out of it.

Seriously, though, when the 11th guy on your defense has half the starts of your most active starter, you lead the NFL by a large margin with 41 defenders total (second most was a tie, with 32), and only 13 players on your roster log more than 500 snaps...well, something's up.

The good news is, with a full draft devoted to defense and a full offseason, you can see how the team can realistically replace 40-50% of the defensive snaps on the roster. Right?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread has been in the News Zone for a bit, but I'm moving it over just because it's depressing enough that some of you will probably get a kick out of it.

Seriously, though, when the 11th guy on your defense has half the starts of your most active starter, you lead the NFL by a large margin with 41 defenders total (second most was a tie, with 32), and only 13 players on your roster log more than 500 snaps...well, something's up.

The good news is, with a full draft devoted to defense and a full offseason, you can see how the team can realistically replace 40-50% of the defensive snaps on the roster. Right?

41 players on defense.

9 more than the team using the 2nd most players on defense.

That's why I'm not red-hot mad over getting rid of Kiffin like some are. How good of a defense can you expect when you're forced to use 41 freaking players?

Give Kiffin a stable defensive roster and let's see what he can do.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
41 players on defense.

9 more than the team using the 2nd most players on defense.

That's why I'm not red-hot mad over getting rid of Kiffin like some are. How good of a defense can you expect when you're forced to use 41 freaking players?

Give Kiffin a stable defensive roster and let's see what he can do.

This is coming from a guy who celebrated the firing of Rob Ryan.

Tell us more, Mick.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was never a fan of either Ryan or Kiffin, frankly. I liked Ryan's concepts better, though. I prefer the 4-3 to the 3-4, but only for the sake of tradition. I don't like that, with everything else we've had going on on this roster, we've dithered back and forth over the DC position and the defensive scheme. And I still have huge concerns about Monte Kiffin just fielding a defense that's already had its impact on the league.

That said, I don't think we really saw a lot of what was intended defensively this year. With the DL rotation, Claiborne out and Webb unready, we were playing zone too often when we should not have been. That couldn't have been the plan. We started the year playing more single high, and I think with adequate pressure, we'd have been playing more press all along and have been more successful with it. I'm still up in the air about the overall direction.

But then again, when you look at how patchwork the snaps were last season, you can see how easy it should be to add consistency and talent to the defense in the offseason. Just adding 3-4 regular starters at the obvious positions would go a long way in that regard. That, with an infusion of more young talent, should bode well. We're talking about going from worst-to-middling here, and not worst-to-first. I think it's doable, I just wish I had more faith, overall, in the current defensive staff.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is coming from a guy who celebrated the firing of Rob Ryan.

Tell us more, Mick.

Seriously, though, Risen, look at that snap data. That's a dog's breakfast if you've ever seen one. All issues of hating Jerry Jones aside, you look at that and have to say that it should be a relatively easy situation to stabilize, don't you? Not talking a sea-change here, just bringing in the players on the DL and at LB that are going to give you some better quality play and some positional stability. It seems pretty obvious that that's likely, doesn't it?

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Jeff Heath played only 26 snaps fewer than Ware did. That's pretty telling.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Not talking a sea-change here, just bringing in the players on the DL and at LB that are going to give you some better quality play and some positional stability. It seems pretty obvious that that's likely, doesn't it?

Don't draft players with injury or personal red flags, and don't pay age. If the front-office can do those things it should get better.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Seriously, though, Risen, look at that snap data. That's a dog's breakfast if you've ever seen one. All issues of hating Jerry Jones aside, you look at that and have to say that it should be a relatively easy situation to stabilize, don't you? Not talking a sea-change here, just bringing in the players on the DL and at LB that are going to give you some better quality play and some positional stability. It seems pretty obvious that that's likely, doesn't it?

With all due respect, Idgit. Who?

Hatcher is probably gone. Crawford is a big ?. Rattliff is gone. Ware? I'm still holding out hope. Spencer needs to get back in football shape, if he's still interested. Funny how we haven't heard much from/about him and his injury/rehab status.

Our LB core is pitiful with one FULL time starter.....maybe. The corners are suspect, still. No free safety, which is the biggest concern.

This team has to hit on every single player drafted and then pray for consistency. Sure are asking a lot in one off season.

JMO, of course.

Oh yeah............depth.

Flinger

Reaction score
One article made an interesting point - Holloman was 4th on the depth chart as an ILB and started the finally game as a rookie.

41 Defensive players and 20 Defensive linemen...

I'm willing to scratch last year's result off due to injury and reserve judgment on the coaching staff until next year.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- No team in the NFL needed more players on defense than the Dallas Cowboys in 2013. They had 41 defenders with cornerback Brandon Carr playing the most (1,116 snaps) and Dez Bryant playing the least (three). The Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints had the second most with 32 players on defense. In training camp, the Cowboys’ projected defensive line was Anthony Spencer, Jason Hatcher, Jeremiah Ratliff and DeMarcus Ware.

Continue reading...

Did I count right? 19 DL and 10 LBs?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all due respect, Idgit. Who?

Hatcher is probably gone. Crawford is a big ?. Rattliff is gone. Ware? I'm still holding out hope. Spencer needs to get back in football shape, if he's still interested. Funny how we haven't heard much from/about him and his injury/rehab status.

Our LB core is pitiful with one FULL time starter.....maybe. The corners are suspect, still. No free safety, which is the biggest concern.

This team has to hit on every single player drafted and then pray for consistency. Sure are asking a lot in one off season.

JMO, of course.

Oh yeah............depth.

Well, you've named a lot of the obvious positions. Stability along the DL gets us much of the way there, and it's too early to say who's really going to get those snaps. I'd imagine the plan is for Crawford to take one of those positions. Spencer, I'd think is an option, but he'll carry a risk. We probably target on VFA and two draft picks, one of them high along the DL. Whoever it is, those position groups (DT, DE) eliminate probably 10-12 of the players we were shuffling in and out last year.

Beyond that, I'd say the obvious candidates are at FS, where we had 594 - Jeff Heath (594), JJ Wilcox (515) and Will Allen (163) splitting snaps. CB3 where Claiborne was limited to about 2/3rds of the snaps you'd like him to see and BW Webb (178) and Sterling Moore (81) picked up the slack. And MBL, where Justin Durant (197), Ernie Sims (380), and DeVonte Holloman (207) all had significant playing time. (Granted, the snap count data isn't broken out by position, but you get the picture. If you get more playing time from better players, and you have a lot less juggling going on on the roster, overall, the defense is going to get better.

It's not hard to imagine adding 3-4 starters to the mess we had last season and both improving the players we have taking snaps and limiting the number of variables we introduce. I think it's pretty much a no-brainer.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No team in the NFL needed more players on defense than the Dallas Cowboys in 2013. They had 41 defenders

I didn't think Kiffin had that much stamina. He deserves a medal for not falling out at some point.

Pabst

Reaction score
Does anyone know the total defensive snaps for the year? Not just individual players?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone know the total defensive snaps for the year? Not just individual players?

Edit: I think it's safe to assume the player with the highest number suggests that's the total snaps on defense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Edit: I think it's safe to assume the player with the highest number suggests that's the total snaps on defense.

Or add up the defensive snaps and divide by 11. Unless we've got some 12 men on the field penalties in there. :)

Pabst

Reaction score
Looks like 1141 total defensive snaps for this year according to sportingcharts.com. I was mostly curious with regards to Sean Lee's contract. If he is at 80% of team defensive snaps or above for the 2013 and 2014 seasons, he is due an additional 1.5 million dollars, guaranteed, on this 2015 base salary. Maintaining an 80% snap count from 2015 and onwards will add an additional 1.875 million, guaranteed, to his base salary each year from 2016 to 2019, or the life of the current contract.

His 2013 season total is 702 defensive snaps out of 1141, for a percentage of 61.5% of team defensive snaps. Assuming the team plays 1000 defensive snaps next season (1141 is substantially more than the NFL average in a given year), even if he plays 100% of those snaps, he will have played in only 79.5% of defensive snaps over the 2013-2014 seasons.

It is fair to assume he will not make up enough ground in 2014 for the 2015 bonus. Some food for thought.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Thanks to someone else's fine research, I've learned that the average number of Dlinemen getting snaps on an NFL team is 10.5. Most teams varied from 9-12. (This is over the last five years) IIRC, there were only a couple of teams that had 16 players getting snaps, and none at 15. This is a historic level of Dlinemen playing, AND it doesn't include the guys who were injured before the season, or otherwise unable to play.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Beyond that, I'd say the obvious candidates are at FS, where we had 594 - Jeff Heath (594), JJ Wilcox (515) and Will Allen (163) splitting snaps.

These stats are skewed by the fact that the team played a lot of three safety stuff, with Church, Heath, and Wilcox all out there at the same time. And at the same time, the stats are alarming in this regard: Heath, a rookie undrafted, small school guy, played 496 more defensive snaps than McCray who has been here for several years. I do understand that you need some guys to excell at special teams, but that is ridiculous. Talk about the salary cap, Danny McCray needs to just clean out his locker and go get a job.