News: ESPN: Cowboys stress massive contracts will take time

Buzzbait

Reaction score
..wouldn't be surprised they sign Dak and CD. Trade Parsons for players and picks.
I could see that possibility if we had the defensive dawgs to absorb the loss of Parsons, but I don't believe we do. If we had been drafting real quality for this DL then we might have some leeway to play with, but such is not the case.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
They actually have 2-3 guys that literally have that job. They just advise him, so that he can feel important.
Doesn’t matter who they have advising them. It matters who is making the decision.

That would be the Jones boys.

Unless we want to give the Jones Boys an excuse that their cap management people aren’t good enough.

Even then it wouldn’t be an excuse because who hires the cap management people? The Jones boys.

Praxit

Reaction score
I could see that possibility if we had the defensive dawgs to absorb the loss of Parsons, but I don't believe we do. If we had been drafting real quality for this DL then we might have some leeway to play with, but such is not the case.
.... we have seen teams run at him, and take him out of play with ease. He's not a formidable as its made out to be. He's a great player, no doubt.

But if we could get three really good players out of him. I think it could work.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He's right. it takes a long time for stuff like that, and being a contender. That has taken nearly 30 years, so be patient. 30 more years is nothing.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Jerry is just stalling to pressure Dak into taking less or play the season with no guarantees.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jerry is just stalling to pressure Dak into taking less or play the season with no guarantees.
Jerry can’t pressure Dak. Dak’s telling fans to move on from the angst over the Green Bay game and indicating he understands NFL quarterbacks often play for more than one team in their career. He’s all smiles, as usual. And you can bet he’s aware he can get more compensation from a different team than the Cowboys will ever care to pay him. He’d probably like to be released right now, but will play out his contract and be done. He’s a free agent in 229 days.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sign CeeDee, trade Parsons for a shot at the #1(+) slots in 2025 draft and take what u can get for Dak. You've always got Rush to finish out this season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No they want to wait until a deadline then make them the highest paid ever
This appears to be an angle Jethro & Son are taking which they hope will play more favorable to public perception like they had no choice if they wanted to retain them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry can’t pressure Dak. Dak’s telling fans to move on from the angst over the Green Bay game and indicating he understands NFL quarterbacks often play for more than one team in their career. He’s all smiles, as usual. And you can bet he’s aware he can get more compensation from a different team than the Cowboys will ever care to pay him. He’d probably like to be released right now, but will play out his contract and be done. He’s a free agent in 229 days.
Yep. He holds all the cards .Pay me or I’ll leave . I know fans are frustrated and I’m not attached. Personally I don’t have much hope either way.

But if we decide to move on we must be prepared to be even more frustrated as we begin our search for another Franchise QB next year.

Perhaps it will present new hope for a segment of fans but based on what I’ve seen the last 30 years I like our dysfunctional ownerships chances better of trying to be relevant with a less than Elite QB like Romo & Dak than the perils of them looking or drafting an Elite QB.

Surely we recall the QB’s we went thru before both of these QB’s falling into our laps . First it was our highest QB drafted this era in Quincy Jones. Aging veterans like Bledsoe and Testerverde .

And that doesn’t even count QB’s in 1st round we were looking to draft in Manziel and Lynch. I have absolutely no faith Jethro & Son have the ability to draft an Elite QB which even the greatest FO’s struggle with.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be trying while we have a playoff caliber Franchise QB. We should be trying to find his Heir Apparent. But to start over without anyone in place probably means we will become more of a bottom tier team while it might provide more hope to some frustrated with current situation.

For me I’m going to be less frustrated going to the playoffs while attempting to draft the next Elite QB than being in bottom tier until we do.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This is total BS that no fans should accept. If the issue is that these deals take time then why did they wait so long to even begin negotiations?

This is the crap they could get away with in the 90s but in 2024 fans have so much information at the click of a button. It's pretty insulting how dumb they think we are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is total BS that no fans should accept. If the issue is that these deals take time then why did they wait so long to even begin negotiations?

This is the crap they could get away with in the 90s but in 2024 fans have so much information at the click of a button. It's pretty insulting how dumb they think we are.
The only reason that makes sense to me is public perception.

Which all revolves around signing Dak. Once or if that’s done then it drives the other contracts allowing more Cap space and intentions moving forward with nucleus of team.

And the public perception early on was not over paying Dak after his horrendous playoff performance. But as the offseason and other QB’s contracts unfold time and tolerance gets more on their side.

The closer we get to the season beginning the more Jethro & Son can plead to public perception they were over a barrel with little choice heading into season if they intend to retain these players.

Creeper

Reaction score
A thought occurred to me while the two Jones's was blowing smoke about contracts yesterday. First, it makes no sense what they said. Sure it will take time but why are we acting like these contracts are a surprise? They knew this situation would exist for years, or should have. Okay, it takes time to figure it out, but it doesn't take 6 months. You sit down with a laptop and an excel spreadsheet and in a day or two you build a model of what your CAP is going to look like over the next 4 or 5 years. And this led me to a second thought, don't these teams have software to model all these contracts out so that they can simply plug in some changes here and there to re-forecast their CAP situation? Seems to me this should be the most useful tool for a GM to have. I have to believe they have this and if I am right, this shouldn't take months to figure out.

What is taking time is Jerry and Stephen aren't sure what they want to do. And as we have seen, the longer it takes, the more money these players are going to cost them.

I just get the sense that the Cowboys fly by the seat of their pants. There is no multi-year plan they follow. They just address each scenario as it confronts them. I think they are waiting for something to happen and they will react rather than being proactive because they planned this out all along.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The only reason that makes sense to me is public perception.

Which all revolves around signing Dak. Once or if that’s done then it drives the other contracts allowing more Cap space and intentions moving forward with nucleus of team.

And the public perception early on was not over paying Dak after his horrendous playoff performance. But as the offseason and other QB’s contracts unfold time and tolerance gets more on their side.

The closer we get to the season beginning the more Jethro & Son can plead to public perception they were over a barrel with little choice heading into season if they intend to retain these players.
You could be on to something there, but it's everything wrong with the way this franchise is operating. If they are more worried about public perception than putting this team in the best position to win games we truly have no hope.