U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jul 30
6:27
PM CT
By Todd Archer

SAN ANTONIO -- A day after losing out on Nnamdi Asomugha, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones was not heartbroken, even if he thought at one point he had the Pro Bowl cornerback coming to the team. And he added that Terence Newman’s future was not tied to the potential acquisition of Asomugha.

“We had an opportunity to get involved and you can never have enough corners, and it was pure speculation that we were going to do anything with Terence,” Jones said. “We probably thought the same thing Philadelphia thought. He’s an outstanding player and we had a chance to go get him.”

Jones said he would not necessarily have a conversation with Newman about the chase for Asomugha.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4681085/jerry-newmans-future-wasnt-tied-to-asomugha

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4022654 said:
“We had an opportunity to get involved and you can never have enough corners, and it was pure speculation that we were going to do anything with Terence,” Jones said. “We probably thought the same thing Philadelphia thought. He’s an outstanding player and we had a chance to go get him.”

I don't disagree with the thinking here. I'm not sure Jerry had even gotten to the point where he considered what to do with Newman. He was just going after a top player.

Now, I'm sure Newman would have ended up being cut, but this was in no way a knock against Newman.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm still a little in shock that we wanted a player and didn't get him. I was expecting to hear that we did due diligence but his pice was too high or we never wanted him to begin with. Instead we wanted a player, made every effort to acquire him and he turned us away.

I guess the aura of the star ain't what it used to be.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
TheCount;4022703 said:
I'm still a little in shock that we wanted a player and didn't get him. I was expecting to hear that we did due diligence but his pice was too high or we never wanted him to begin with. Instead we wanted a player, made every effort to acquire him and he turned us away.

I guess the aura of the star ain't what it used to be.

I think it has to do with two things:

1) Previously, we'd bring them to the Ranch and not let them leave until a deal was done. Hard to control negotiations when you can't look the agents in the face to see what deals they are trying to put together behind your back.

2) A change in philosophy. Jerry used to be willing to outbid anyone for the players he wanted, and the players knew that. Now, Jerry's a bit more cautious about free agency prices.