ESPN Dallas: The result when Tony Romo passes

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
The result when Tony Romo passes
July, 20, 2010 Jul 202:11PM CTEmail Print Comments By Calvin WatkinsTony Romo dropped back to pass 596 times last season, fourth most in in the NFL.

What does this mean?

Well, for one, Romo and the Cowboys' offense had success when he passed. Romo threw 26 touchdowns passes last year and a career-low nine interceptions. He was also sacked 34 times. The Cowboys passing offense finished sixth in the league with a 8.2 yards-per-attempt average.

The emergence of Miles Austin and Romo's maturity in the passing game helped in that average more than anything else.

Romo's play also dictated something else. With four other quarterbacks who had a large number of dropbacks, only Romo and Aaron Rodgers of the Packers reached the postseason.

Matt Schaub of Houston, who tops the list and David Garrard of Jacksonville, who is fifth both missed the postseason. Jay Cutler, ranked third, missed the postseason with the Bears.

What they did with the ball
Here are the quarterbacks with the most dropbacks in 2009 and the end result:

Player Team Drops TD INT Runs Sacks
Matt Schaub Hou 626 29 15 17 26
Aaron Rodgers GB 608 30 7 18 49
Jay Cutler Chi 607 27 26 18 34
Tony Romo Dal 596 26 9 12 34
David Garrard Jax 592 15 10 35 42
Romo was part of a NFC Eastern division title and earned the Cowboys first postseason win in over a decade.

And sometimes dropping back to pass a whole lot doesn't lead to positive results.

Cutler led the NFL with 27 interceptions.

Drew Brees of the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints, had 539 dropbacks but led the NFL with 34 touchdown passes. Sometimes you don't need plenty of dropbacks, it's what you do with the ball when you get it that counts.

Romo is producing results when he passes the ball.

The low turnover numbers indicate he's protecting it when he throws and when under pressure. He has cut back on his gunslinger mentality of 2006 and 2007. He seems to be more careful with the ball, thanks to the mentorship of offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, to helping him see to take the safe pass, underneath to Jason Witten or to a running back, or just throw the ball away.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
27 interceptions...JEEZE. He threw more picks than Romo threw Touchdowns!! :eek:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
casmith07;3463786 said:
27 interceptions...JEEZE. He threw more picks than Romo threw Touchdowns!! :eek:

yep, im hoping cutler throws about 4 interceptions against us when we play the bears this year :)

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
This article brings to mind something I've consider in the past.

A 2nd QB rating system that includes total passing plays. Something to take into the formula QB scrambles and sacks.

Give a clearer picture of the teams passing efficiency.

joseephuss

Reaction score
sonnyboy;3463802 said:
This article brings to mind something I've consider in the past.

A 2nd QB rating system that includes total passing plays. Something to take into the formula QB scrambles and sacks.

Give a clearer picture of the teams passing efficiency.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2009/passing.htm

They have a few stats that consider sacks such as "adjusted net yards gained per pass attempt".

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_adj_net_yds_per_att_career.htm

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I know its woulda coulda shoulda or whatever but I still feel like 4 or 5 of his picks were just flukey.

I think he can have a 30/6 ratio this year

SDCowboy

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3463904 said:
I know its woulda coulda shoulda or whatever but I still feel like 4 or 5 of his picks were just flukey.

They definitely were. Most were balls that bounced off a receiver's hand and that one that somehow went off Witten's hand, to his foot, and back up into a defenders hand. What were the odds of that? :laugh2:

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3463909 said:
They definitely were. Most were balls that bounced off a receiver's hand and that one that somehow went off Witten's hand, to his foot, and back up into a defenders hand. What were the odds of that? :laugh2:

1: However many passes have been thrown in history

There was also the pick that was miscommunication between him and Miles in Denver, the punt he threw to Phillips in the Giants game. These are all bound to happen from time to time but I think Romo is still getting better and is going to trim the fat so to speak

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3463904 said:

For a second I thought you were responding to the Cutler post above, which left me thinking, "Yeah, but take away four or five picks and he still threw 22!!" lol