News: ESPN Debate: Should Cowboys extend Jason Garrett w/vid

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should Jerry Jones show ultimate faith and give Jason Garrett a contract extension now?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9587818

Watkins:
Cowboys shouldn't quit on Garrett
By Calvin Watkins
ESPNDallas.com
Archive
To me, this isn't an issue. When Jerry Jones was asked at the start of training camp if Jason Garrett's job status is tied to making the playoffs this season, the Cowboys' owner said no.

Then take care of the man!

Garrett will enter the final year of his contract in 2014, and you don't want him to be a lame-duck coach next season. So if he isn't under any pressure to make the playoffs, just give him an extension for two more seasons.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/hot/?id=9585748

MacMahon's take
No upside to giving extension now
By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com
Archive
Jerry Jones gives away enough nonsensical contract extensions without any encouragement.

This one would rank right up there with broken-down defensive tackle Jay Ratliff's rich deal, which was signed two years ago but is technically just about to begin, among the worst ideas.

That's not to discount the possibility that Jason Garrett could be a head coach worth keeping around. Other than the mediocre results, which are relatively important, there is a lot to like about the way Garrett has handled the job so far.

There's just zero risk of losing Jerry's favorite redhead right now. Garrett is halfway through his contract, which has two years remaining.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/hot/?id=9585748

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like Garrett but I would not extend the contract unless he can get this team over the hump this season. In my view this team must show significant improvement and do well in post season. Not talking SB or he is gone but failing to make it or making it and getting bumped out in the 1st rd is not going to cut it.

My hope is Garrett can get this team over the hump and that he is the HC for a very long time but there comes a point where you have to prove yourself and now in year 3 as full time HC the time is now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Watching ESPN idiots debating anything is a complete and total waste of time. Nothing of substance will or can be gleened from those paid agenda nitwits. I understand that people do and the results are ignorant takes on Cowboy players that you see posted here on a daily basis.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I like Garrett but I would not extend the contract unless he can get this team over the hump this season. In my view this team must show significant improvement and do well in post season. Not talking SB or he is gone but failing to make it or making it and getting bumped out in the 1st rd is not going to cut it.

My hope is Garrett can get this team over the hump and that he is the HC for a very long time but there comes a point where you have to prove yourself and now in year 3 as full time HC the time is now.

I want to agree with you. But I have a hard time to make blanket statements and say stuff like, playoffs or fired stuff. I agree that Garrett must show something and that the team needs to perform up to their potential. But "up to their potential" is a moving target. I think last year, the team did play up to and even more than their potential with the number of injuries and at the spots the injuries occurred. So even though the team didn't make the playoffs and it was another 8-8 year, I thought Garrett did a great job to get them to even that point. Now, we all know that in game mistakes were made, that has to be corrected but he is a young coach and I think he will correct them.

I like Garrett, a lot and I like the way he is building this team. We can't know what injuries will happen and stuff of that nature. I agree that if this team stays healthy and still does not perform well, it will be time to consider another direction with the Coach. But so far, I think Garrett has done a GREAT job and I think he will be the coach here for a long time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I want to agree with you. But I have a hard time to make blanket statements and say stuff like, playoffs or fired stuff. I agree that Garrett must show something and that the team needs to perform up to their potential. But "up to their potential" is a moving target. I think last year, the team did play up to and even more than their potential with the number of injuries and at the spots the injuries occurred. So even though the team didn't make the playoffs and it was another 8-8 year, I thought Garrett did a great job to get them to even that point. Now, we all know that in game mistakes were made, that has to be corrected but he is a young coach and I think he will correct them.

I like Garrett, a lot and I like the way he is building this team. We can't know what injuries will happen and stuff of that nature. I agree that if this team stays healthy and still does not perform well, it will be time to consider another direction with the Coach. But so far, I think Garrett has done a GREAT job and I think he will be the coach here for a long time.

I know he will have had 3 full season and thus far 8-8 and missed playoffs in the final game both years. I like Garrett as I said I want him to have success but you can't keep going 8-8 and missing in the playoffs at some point you either get it done or you move on. I do like some of the things he is doing I like the culture he is bringing to the team but they must win. I doubt I will ever be one who is going to boo Garrett it is not my nature but if it was my call to make I would have in the back of my mind this team needs to advance and move forward period

erod

Reaction score
No, but Garrett will be the head coach here for the next 5+ years. Book it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
No, but Garrett will be the head coach here for the next 5+ years. Book it.

He might be. Who else can Jerry hire who will stand for him taking away his playcalling, assigning him new coaches, and firing his brother... And who will then put a happy face on it as he talks about "collective decisions"?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He might be. Who else can Jerry hire who will stand for him taking away his playcalling, assigning him new coaches, and firing his brother... And who will then put a happy face on it as he talks about "collective decisions"?

Parcells evidently feels different and I think a lot of HC would feel different working for Jones and the Cowboys. Preception and reality are not the same thing. BP knows he was there he worked for Jones I think he may be the better judge of the situation

erod

Reaction score
Sorry not booking it, Jerry has not been shy about firing a HC

So do you want Gailey, Campo, or Wade next? Because that's all you're going to get.

Garrett is the absolute best we can hope for, and he has a unique ability to handle Jerry's senility.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Though he has been shy about letting Jason Garrett go.
Not really Garrett has been the HC now heading into his 3rd full season. I don't think giving any coach 3 season is a bad thing. You hire someone you give them the full oppertunity to get the job done that is not just in Dallas but around the league.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So do you want Gailey, Campo, or Wade next? Because that's all you're going to get.

Garrett is the absolute best we can hope for, and he has a unique ability to handle Jerry's senility.

BS Parcells said different, what fans think and what the reality is are not the same according to BP he enjoyed working with Jerry and Stephen so this non sense of no one will work for them is in some fans minds.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score

I'd prefer to win. And if he's going to put people there because he likes them, then don't hire a coach. Do it yourself.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I know he will have had 3 full season and thus far 8-8 and missed playoffs in the final game both years. I like Garrett as I said I want him to have success but you can't keep going 8-8 and missing in the playoffs at some point you either get it done or you move on. I do like some of the things he is doing I like the culture he is bringing to the team but they must win. I doubt I will ever be one who is going to boo Garrett it is not my nature but if it was my call to make I would have in the back of my mind this team needs to advance and move forward period

Let's hope we can stay healthy enough to get over that hump you brought up earlier.