News: ESPN Debate: Should Cowboys extend Jason Garrett w/vid

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Let's hope we can stay healthy enough to get over that hump you brought up earlier.

I hope so. I love the Cowboys, why would I not want our HC to succeed? Having said that I have been accused of protecting Garrett or having some man love for him when the fact is I have a view that a HC when hired should be given the time to do the job by and large 3 years is normal for a team to bring in a coach and allow him to do the job. At the end of that time you assess where you are as a team if that team has not improved or has gotten worse then of course you look to make changes. I do hope the best for this team and Jason

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
So do you want Gailey, Campo, or Wade next? Because that's all you're going to get.

Garrett is the absolute best we can hope for, and he has a unique ability to handle Jerry's senility.

I feel sorry for you if you truly believe this.

No to the OP though.. no need or reason to give an extension right now. Let's see some progress on the field, first.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
They must be really bored over there in Bristol.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Not really Garrett has been the HC now heading into his 3rd full season. I don't think giving any coach 3 season is a bad thing. You hire someone you give them the full oppertunity to get the job done that is not just in Dallas but around the league.

I agree with you. I was making reference (rather obscurely) to Jones's history of hanging onto Garrett throughout his time on the coaching staff even when as OC Garrett had chances to move on to other teams, or when his offense underperformed. Basically I meant to say while JJ has certainly fired head coaches before, he's been very committed to JG for a while now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree with you. I was making reference (rather obscurely) to Jones's history of hanging onto Garrett throughout his time on the coaching staff even when as OC Garrett had chances to move on to other teams, or when his offense underperformed. Basically I meant to say while JJ has certainly fired head coaches before, he's been very committed to JG for a while now.

I would not expect less of an owner or GM to have a comittment to his HC but I think Jerry will fire him if this team does not turn around. My hope is that does not happen I would much rather win than to fire coaches and start over again.

cml750

Reaction score
Garrett has done absolutely nothing to deserve an extension. I am extremely hopeful we will see a lot of improvement this year now that he has given up play calling (one of our biggest problems during his tenure). We do however need to see the results on the field before he earns an extension. I for one hope this year is the start of a very long and very successful head coaching career for Jason Garrett. If he does not show major improvement on the field this year then it is time to move on.