News: ESPN: Dez: I can do whatever Megatron can do

blackbull

Reaction score
ALLEN PARK -- Calvin Johnson wowed Ford Field on Sunday when he caught a magnificent 50-yard touchdown within the throes of triple-coverage.

Not many guys can make a play like that. But Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant apparently thinks he can, because he says he can do whatever Johnson can do.

And Detroit receiver Nate Burleson scoffs at that notion.

13627098-large.jpg
Calvin Johnson is widely considered the best receiver in the game. But Dez Bryant isn't far off.Associated Press
"Listen, I like Dez," Burleson said. "I think he's one of the best receivers in the game right now. Very talented. Fast, big, strong. He possesses all the tools to possibly be as good as Calvin.

"But he's not Calvin Johnson. No way, no how. Sorry, Dez. Keep it real."

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
Dez isn't as good as Megatron yet. He will probably get there but he still drops too many passes and doesn't make quite as many tough catches as Johnson.

Calvin actually has twice as many drops as Dez this year.

ftghb

Reaction score
volume numbers are cool to look at, but not necessarily indicative of success. Calvin Johnson posted a 78/1331/12 line while his team went 0-16 and then had that monster 122/1964/5 line while his team went 4-12. You can still get numbers with your QB hucking it to you 200 times a year in garbage time.

Not saying nothing, i'm just saying.

jrumann59

Reaction score
volume numbers are cool to look at, but not necessarily indicative of success. Calvin Johnson posted a 78/1331/12 line while his team went 0-16 and then had that monster 122/1964/5 line while his team went 4-12. You can still get numbers with your QB hucking it to you 200 times a year in garbage time.

Not saying nothing, i'm just saying.

Remember RW11 he had stellar numbers in Detroit also, numbers can get over inflated when you are down a lot and all you have to is pass. 50 yard catch in garbage time when your team is down 17 is different than a 50 yard catch in a tight ball game. Law of averages say the more you throw the more yards your recievers will get. When the lions really sucked all they had was a passing attack so if you heave the ball up 50 times you are going to get big plays.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Calvin actually has twice as many drops as Dez this year.

Thanks.

Dez-cepticon? Really? Is it really necessary to make Bryant a Transformer? And if it is, STARscream may be less of a reach.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the 'Megatron' nickname. I stinks, too, because neither 'Johnson' or 'CJ' is sufficiently specific to refer to him, either, but I ain't calling another adult 'Megatron.'

khiladi

Reaction score
Calvin Johnson had the likes of Shaun Hill throwing to him before Stafford got drafted and they were horrid all around. Dez's best year was also when Dallas went up-tempo and Romo was doing stuff on the fly. Dallas was still horrible last year in the first half of games, being amongst the worst in terms of production. The year Detroit madethe play-offs, CJ had 96 Rec and Burleson had 70 plus, meaning CJ wasn't taking away anything from his WRs when Detroit was clicking. The next year he had 122 and Burleson didn't even play half a season so Detroit had no threat outside of CJ and nobody could stop him.

Please don't trivialize CJ because of Cowboys fandom. Dez is my favorite WR, but if you want to make all sortsf rationalizations regarding CJs numbers, the same can be done for Dez.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Did you guys even hear the entire interview? This was taken completely out of context and is why I don't like ESPN for anything other than live sporting events. You guys are perpetuating the perception based on this erroneous ESPN article. Only 1 poster, JohnKeys19, has had the intelligence to verify on his own.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Did you guys even hear the entire interview? This was taken completely out of context and is why I don't like ESPN for anything other than live sporting events. You guys are perpetuating the perception based on this erroneous ESPN article. Only 1 poster, JohnKeys19, has had the intelligence to verify on his own.

The media really is sad, they're trying to actually make this into big deal. This is on the front page of ESPN right now - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...cowboys-not-good-calvin-johnson-detroit-lions

dstovall5

Reaction score
Actually idiot Nate Burleson took it out of context.

Actually, it's the media as well. I just got done watching an ESPN show Sports Nation and it had Dez on it. He was on the segment, "winners and losers" ... Guess which one he was. He was under the "loser" section with a headline stating Dez has "insecurity" problems, RIDICULOUS.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

Not exactly. Myself, and a couple others made mention of it as well in this very thread.

But I agree. The majority of people are perpetuating the ESPN lies. God I'm really starting to hate that franchise. They have absolutely 0 integrity.

ologan

Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the 'Megatron' nickname. I stinks, too, because neither 'Johnson' or 'CJ' is sufficiently specific to refer to him, either, but I ain't calling another adult 'Megatron.'

I always thought it was pretty asinine, myself.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not exactly. Myself, and a couple others made mention of it as well in this very thread.

But I agree. The majority of people are perpetuating the ESPN lies. God I'm really starting to hate that franchise. They have absolutely 0 integrity.

Well, to be fair. The actual ESPN article that is posted in the OP has his quotes. If folks actually read the article and not just the snippets, then they might not get "skip-tized" as this guy says on twitter.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, anyone who heard this live knows it wasn’t Dez knocking Megatron.

He was asked, what Megatron can do that he couldn’t and there was an extremely long pause before Dez responded confidently “Anything he can do I can do”.

This was all after he talked up Calvin a bit.

IRVING, Texas -- While he has immense respect for Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant isn’t willing to say that “Megatron” will be the best receiver at Ford Field when the Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions meet on Sunday. “Truth be told, I don’t compare myself to nobody,” Bryant said Monday during an appearance on 103.3 FM ESPN in Dallas. “I think Calvin’s the best at what he [does]. I think I’m the best at what I do.

Continue reading...

Absolutely.

Just a bunch of reports trying to make something out of nothing.

Dez has to be careful.

I like the guy, but he doesn't come across very steady on camera.

He's a lot better catching passes than answering questions about where he stands against the greats of the game.

He has no resume' yet.

Dez..

Go out and do something Championship..then get back in front of the camera.

Not before.

Same thing goes for Romo.

Before he gets anymore over the top accolades about there he is in his first 100 games as a QB..

Win some Championships.

mldardy

Reaction score
Absolutely.

Just a bunch of reports trying to make something out of nothing.

Dez has to be careful.

I like the guy, but he doesn't come across very steady on camera.

He's a lot better catching passes than answering questions about where he stands against the greats of the game.

He has no resume' yet.

Dez..

Go out and do something Championship..then get back in front of the camera.

Not before.

Same thing goes for Romo.

Before he gets anymore over the top accolades about there he is in his first 100 games as a QB..

Win some Championships.

:rolleyes: