News: ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. to launch sports streaming app

MarcusRock

Reaction score
We used to complain about cable prices, but now it’s more expensive to watch what you want through the 50 different “cost effective” streaming services than it ever was for cable. It’s ridiculous
It's not ridiculous. They're giving people what they're willing to pay for. Perhaps the thing that's off-kilter is people's absolute NEED to be watching something on TV to be entertained. So once a market is created, someone wants to cater to it and make money.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To watch for free is ok. To pay to see the Cowboys lose, not me.
That's not what I got out of reading this for me this says this is an alternate person who say don't watch much TV none of the other streaming apps you know like YouTube TV or Hulu or whatever's working for them so they're allowed to say pick one app that shows some basic TV but then buy this app and get all the sports that they're into because that's pretty much all they watch it doesn't sound like this is replacing the regular programming that you're already paying for not right now anyway short term we're still going to see the games on network TV and ESPN but those who don't have a streaming service that offers those channels or they're forced to watch other channels they don't need then they can get rid of that service and just have 3 apps to serve their needs for a lot less..

I mean I could be wrong but long term it's possible that this is going to be forced on us and we don't see any more free network programming on the you know basic channels that you can get off antenna and whatnot but when I read short term this is just another option for an Ala carte person who wants to see more sports than regular TV...​
I can't see this becoming a problem because I don't get to see a lot of Mavericks and stars games or Rangers games because they're only on one channel that doesn't come with YouTube TV or Prime Video therefore I miss a lot of the games.... But other people see them and it's on their traditional lineup for what they already pay for so they're not paying extra they're just choosing the service that has the apps or the channels that show what they watch the most...​
But I don't think I'd pay extra just to see NFL football if it's no longer showing on basic TV offerings.... Although I never thought I'd pay for radio and yet I have Spotify it made too much sense and I never thought I'd pay this much for TV either and here we are so who knows where this is going to push all of us....​

tomokawan

Reaction score
I don't have peacock. I don't have amazon. Have no need for it. If the NFL wants to lose me just keep going the way they are. I didn't see a whole lot of great games this year on free tv. They are spreading the product mighty thin.
It was not a lot of great games this year on free TV. I saw most of the Cowboy games and I have red zone. Not gonna shell out anymore cash.

Staubacher

Reaction score
We used to complain about cable prices, but now it’s more expensive to watch what you want through the 50 different “cost effective” streaming services than it ever was for cable. It’s ridiculous
The Man always wins when you play their game.

Staubacher

Reaction score
It was not a lot of great games this year on free TV. I saw most of the Cowboy games and I have red zone. Not gonna shell out anymore cash.
Same. I paid $14 per month for 5 months for NFL Plus, got all the televised games plus Red Zone. Cowboys are almost always national so I didn't miss anything.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Same. I paid $14 per month for 5 months for NFL Plus, got all the televised games plus Red Zone. Cowboys are almost always national so I didn't miss anything.
What was funny. I googled NFL plus before the season, thought I got a great deal, but it was a third party not really affiliated with NFL plus. Luckily got my money back. It was 9 per month instead of 14. LOL. When I went to log into the official NFL plus app, it said no account. LIVE and learn.

Staubacher

Reaction score
What was funny. I googled NFL plus before the season, thought I got a great deal, but it was a third party not really affiliated with NFL plus. Luckily got my money back. It was 9 per month instead of 14. LOL. When I went to log into the official NFL plus app, it said no account. LIVE and learn.
Another good thing about NFL Plus is you get replays of all the games and condensed versions of the games plus all 22 of all the games. It's a great deal for 14 per month for the football season. Such a good deal I'm pretty sure they're going to change it next year haha

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give me a) the ability to select the specific programming I want; b) pricing that is competitive but not overly inflated (i.e. NFL Sunday Ticket); and c) the option to cancel at any time without penalties (e.g. no preset binding service length bundles). Do that and you have a potential customer. Nix it and, well, there are always alternatives for getting sports programming and not getting screwed over in the process.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If everyone stops buying these apps the problem would go away.
The problem will never go away under that circumstance. Apps serve as an entertainment gateway for a potential consumer base numbering 75 - 125 million 18-49 years olds in the United States alone. It is inconceivable for those numbers to ever erode to a detrimental amount.

In this specific instance, brand name recognition will highly likely drive initial app sign-ups in millions--even possible low tens of millions, although unlikely. A solid subscriber base would be established if the product delivers what it is meant to do. Only a catastrophic marketing failure could accelerate the product's consumer use lifespan to a breakeven point and eventual decline in the near future. Even then, the decline would be required to nosedive like the old Blockbusters franchise model of stupidity to happen at a 'quick' rate.