News: ESPN: Free agency sets bar for Cowboys' talks with Lawrence, Dak, Cooper and Elliott

NewsBot

Reaction score
Now that contracts for Nick Foles, Antonio Brown and others are in, Dallas has comparable deals to reference as it negotiates with its own stars.

Continue reading...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That's actually good for the Cowboys. Foles got $22 mil a year, and he's a SB winner and MVP. Even if Dak can win the argument that he's younger, can run and has better stats (wins, winning percentage, and some others) and deserves more than Foles, the Cowboys could give him $25 mil and still not bust the salary cap. Seems around here the prevailing discussion is whether or not the Cowboys should pay Dak $30 mil (if he asks for it), and is he worth that much, with Foles (assuming that's the measuring stick player that matters, for the sake of argument). Foles' $22 mil gives Dallas some argument for rejecting Dak's demand (again, if he does demand it) of $30 mil average.

Same with Cooper, Brown's $16.70 average is for a player with far more accomplishments and in a more receiver-friendly offense than Dallas runs. Cooper would be hard pressed to prove he's worth $16 mil a season (imho) with his accomplishments so far.

Not so much as with Bell, yes he does have more accomplishments as far as games, tds, and yards, but Zeke's pretty close to him. Bell's contract will give Zeke more arguments than Foles' and Brown's against Dak and Cooper.

Really though I think Stephen and Jerry know what they will pay and/or what it will take to sign all of the three, and that they have the money, it's just a matter of whether they want to do it. All the comparisons will ultimately have little real bearing on what will happen, imo again...

dckid

Reaction score
That's actually good for the Cowboys. Foles got $22 mil a year, and he's a SB winner and MVP. Even if Dak can win the argument that he's younger, can run and has better stats (wins, winning percentage, and some others) and deserves more than Foles, the Cowboys could give him $25 mil and still not bust the salary cap. Seems around here the prevailing discussion is whether or not the Cowboys should pay Dak $30 mil (if he asks for it), and is he worth that much, with Foles (assuming that's the measuring stick player that matters, for the sake of argument). Foles' $22 mil gives Dallas some argument for rejecting Dak's demand (again, if he does demand it) of $30 mil average.

Same with Cooper, Brown's $16.70 average is for a player with far more accomplishments and in a more receiver-friendly offense than Dallas runs. Cooper would be hard pressed to prove he's worth $16 mil a season (imho) with his accomplishments so far.

Not so much as with Bell, yes he does have more accomplishments as far as games, tds, and yards, but Zeke's pretty close to him. Bell's contract will give Zeke more arguments than Foles' and Brown's against Dak and Cooper.

Really though I think Stephen and Jerry know what they will pay and/or what it will take to sign all of the three, and that they have the money, it's just a matter of whether they want to do it. All the comparisons will ultimately have little real bearing on what will happen, imo again...

All three of our guys should make less than the guys who have signed. It really goes without saying.
If Dak wants more than 20 per year, I would let him pound said and play for 600K this year. Win a SB and prove me wrong before I overpay for an average QB.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
All three of our guys should make less than the guys who have signed. It really goes without saying.
If Dak wants more than 20 per year, I would let him pound said and play for 600K this year. Win a SB and prove me wrong before I overpay for an average QB.

Though if you "lock in" Dak for $22-25 mil now, in a couple of years that'd be the going rate for an average qb, the way salaries increase constantly, and possibly less than the going rate. That's the rub, the uncertainty of what the costs will be in the future. If you sign him for a long term contract, $25 mil could be a bargain, even for an average qb. Also he might improve, or the team improves, and having a durable, young quarterback who can run some may be "just what the doctor ordered"...

dckid

Reaction score
Though if you "lock in" Dak for $22-25 mil now, in a couple of years that'd be the going rate for an average qb, the way salaries increase constantly, and possibly less than the going rate. That's the rub, the uncertainty of what the costs will be in the future. If you sign him for a long term contract, $25 mil could be a bargain, even for an average qb. Also he might improve, or the team improves, and having a durable, young quarterback who can run some may be "just what the doctor ordered"...
You make a great point. I don't have a great answer. The interesting thing is that one team will zig while everyone else zags in the league. I agree that the QB position is getting overvalued based on the escalating salaries of recent players. We all know the greatest advantage in pro football is to have a cheap good QB.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You make a great point. I don't have a great answer. The interesting thing is that one team will zig while everyone else zags in the league. I agree that the QB position is getting overvalued based on the escalating salaries of recent players. We all know the greatest advantage in pro football is to have a cheap good QB.

What? You mean you aren't the all knowing, all seeing Cowboys fan? Dude you're outclassed on this site, there's tons of "experts" here, don't you know? Better get with the program!

:laugh:

There is no simple, easy, one-sizes-fits-all answer, of course, though some here claim to have it..:facepalm:

It's true the Cowboys haven't, and probably won't, be a big player in free agency. But just bringing in a ton of high priced veteran talent is no guarantee of a SB win, or two, or even lots of playoff success. JJ, et al, have apparently decided to "dance with who brung ya", and who knows? It just might work...

dckid

Reaction score
What? You mean you aren't the all knowing, all seeing Cowboys fan? Dude you're outclassed on this site, there's tons of "experts" here, don't you know? Better get with the program!

:laugh:

There is no simple, easy, one-sizes-fits-all answer, of course, though some here claim to have it..:facepalm:

It's true the Cowboys haven't, and probably won't, be a big player in free agency. But just bringing in a ton of high priced veteran talent is no guarantee of a SB win, or two, or even lots of playoff success. JJ, et al, have apparently decided to "dance with who brung ya", and who knows? It just might work...
Bro,
If I was the GM of a team it would be my job to have an answer. Our GM has never had an answer. He made one good move which was hire Jimmy Johnson, but he wasn't smart enough to just shut and count championship rings.
25 years of mediocrity is not my ideal of a plan.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Bro,
If I was the GM of a team it would be my job to have an answer. Our GM has never had an answer. He made one good move which was hire Jimmy Johnson, but he wasn't smart enough to just shut and count championship rings.
25 years of mediocrity is not my ideal of a plan.

If the Cowboys had a GM he might have an answer.

Oops, my bad, they have the best GM ever!

Or so he thinks...