ESPN: Hot Seat (Jerry Jones) and Preseason Power Rankings 11

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...024-hot-seat-candidates-players-coaches-execs

i

11. Dallas Cowboys

Post-draft ranking: 11
sw_ye_40.png

Who's on the hot seat: Team owner Jerry Jones

The easy answer is coach Mike McCarthy. Maybe quarterback Dak Prescott, too. Nothing that happens this year will impact Jones' status as the owner and general manager, but he has a lot on the line with how he constructed this year's team. Prescott is months from being a free agent. McCarthy -- who has won 36 games the past three seasons -- and his coaching staff are on one-year deals. If the Cowboys falter, Jones will likely be starting all over, 29 years removed from the Cowboys' last Super Bowl appearance. While the Cowboys said their season-ticket renewal was at more than 99%, according to Jones, the size of the crowds at training camp have been smaller, and anger with the organization seems to be higher than ever. A season that ends without a playoff appearance, at minimum, will ratchet up the heat on Jones. -- Todd Archer

CWR

Reaction score
11 sounds right. Whether or not we hate the off season approach, we may have nailed the draft. We got a squad, but I'm not convinced we can hang with the big dogs.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
That's why it says Owner Jerry in the hot seat, and not GM Jethro.
OK so that is even more of a stretch

Ownership and the ability to stay in the owners suite has literally nothing to do with on field performance. All that matters is whether you can pay the bills and if you still want to be the owner

Team could go 0-17 and there's nothing that would jeopardize Jerry being in his suite on GameDay with his Johnny Blue tinkling in his glass.

Archer talks about "ratcheting up the heat on Jones"

He's already despised by a majority of the fan base. What's going to change if the team underperforms again?

Mccarthy and Dakota will be gone long before Jerry unless the grim reaper comes calling.

AND TO BE CLEAR, I'm not saying I hope Jerry dies. I'm just saying that's the only way he's leaving is with a tag on his toe. We're stuck with him otherwise

Chasing6

Reaction score
OK so that is even more of a stretch

Ownership and the ability to stay in the owners suite has literally nothing to do with on field performance. All that matters is whether you can pay the bills and if you still want to be the owner

Team could go 0-17 and there's nothing that would jeopardize Jerry being in his suite on GameDay with his Johnny Blue tinkling in his glass.
If you don't think Jerry is concerned about low attendance in Oxnard, you don't know Jerry very well.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
If you don't think Jerry is concerned about low attendance in Oxnard, you don't know Jerry very well.
I don't know him and it's very possible he is concerned. But that doesn't change the fact that he's not going anywhere regardless of how the team performs this year. Zero chance his seat gets even remotely warm

He'll gut it and start over before even considering handing the reins over to someone more competent

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't know him and it's very possible he is concerned. But that doesn't change the fact that he's not going anywhere regardless of how the team performs this year. Zero chance his seat gets even remotely warm

He'll gut it and start over before even considering handing the reins over to someone more competent
Just because he is not going anywhere, does not mean he does not feel the pressure of the hot seat.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You and I agree 100% here

We could go 0-17 and lose every game by 3 TDs and Jerry will still be here selling his snake oil :laugh:
Exactly lol. I remember in 2007 we lost to the Giants and he was ok with it because it meant we were “close”. If we went 0-17 I could see him selling we were close…

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Just because he is not going anywhere, does not mean he does not feel the pressure of the hot seat.
I guess we need to define what hot seat means.

When I think "hot seat" I interpret that as someone who could potentially lose their position.

I.e., McCarthy could be fired or Dak could be allowed to walk, etc. Which I think you would agree Jerry isn't selling the team and he's not going to fire himself as GM. So there's zero chance he's in danger of losing either of those positions (owner or GM)

Now, if you're defining "hot seat" as just general disgust or irritation amongst the fan base, then I defer to @big dog cowboy above. That's been the case for years already. What's suddenly going to make it worse now??

Chasing6

Reaction score
I guess we need to define what hot seat means.

When I think "hot seat" I interpret that as someone who could potentially lose their position.

I.e., McCarthy could be fired or Dak could be allowed to walk, etc. Which I think you would agree Jerry isn't selling the team and he's not going to fire himself as GM. So there's zero chance he's in danger of losing either of those positions (owner or GM)

Now, if you're defining "hot seat" as just general disgust or irritation amongst the fan base, then I defer to @big dog cowboy above. That's been the case for years already. What's suddenly going to make it worse now??
Well obviously not in this scenario, because Owners don't get fired. Unless, you consider the hostile takeover coming from Stephen.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Well obviously not in this scenario, because Owners don't get fired. Unless, you consider the hostile takeover coming from Stephen.
Stephen has basically zero power unless Jerry gives it to him.

Back to my grim reaper comment, until that time comes Stephen doesn't have that much more power than anyone on this forum does.