Recap: ESPN Injury Analyst Stephania Bell On Murray Surgery

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Question/Intro of Analyst: ...that grip pressure and the ability to use the hand might be the biggest thing in terms of getting full strength back in the hand like that, or ah, a broken bone like that after surgery, what's the norm?

Quote:

Well, the norm is probably several weeks in order to feel like you're yourself. But I'd like to point out there was a study, ah, was released earlier this year, American Sport Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama, looked specifically at return to play in elite football players after surgical management of this type of injury, and what they found in the college players, was that the average return to play was 2.8 days. And noteworthy in that group was Julio Jones, who at Alabama suffered the same type of injury, who had the injury on one weekend, had surgery the next day, and came back to play the following Saturday night. You're absolutely right, people heal at different rates, it all depends on the position the player plays and on whether he can carry out the duties. He's still going to be sore. He still won't have his full range of mobility, and he'll still have to have the area protected with some form of casting, or splinting or protection in the glove. But if he can do all those things, there's reason to believe the door can remain open.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Question/Intro of Analyst: ...that grip pressure and the ability to use the hand might be the biggest thing in terms of getting full strength back in the hand like that, or ah, a broken bone like that after surgery, what's the norm?

Quote:

Well, the norm is probably several weeks in order to feel like you're yourself. But I'd like to point out there was a study, ah, was released earlier this year, American Sport Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama, looked specifically at return to play in elite football players after surgical management of this type of injury, and what they found in the c0ollege players, was that the average return to play was 2.8 days. And noteworthy in that group was Julio Jones, who at Alabama suffered the same type of injury, who had the injury on one weekend, had surgery the next day, and came back to play the following Saturday night. You're absolutely right, people heal at different rates, it all depends on the position the player plays and on whether he can carry out the duties. He's still going to be sore. He still won't have his full range of mobility, and he'll still have to have the area protected with some form of casting, or splinting or protection in the glove. But if he can do all those things, there's reason to believe the door can remain open.

I'd keep that door open by dressing him for the game if he's able, but would probably give Randle the start. If Randle shows he and Dunbar can carry the load, then I'd let Murray heal for the Commanders game/playoffs.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I'd keep that door open by dressing him for the game if he's able, but would probably give Randle the start. If Randle shows he and Dunbar can carry the load, then I'd let Murray heal for the Commanders game/playoffs.

I don't see him missing the game because of the implications........and all I can think about right now is Dez playing through that broken finger in 2012.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Merrill Hoge had a similar injury. He stated they did not do surgery, placed a U shaped protection around the palm - on the little finger side - taped around the finger and he claimed he still had the ability to catch the ball and play the game.

He commented it hurt when he stiff armed, but he had no pain in catching passes. But he had full mobility of the finger.

He also said he played a quarter and a half with the break.

erod

Reaction score
If this is all it takes to sideline Murray, I definitely don't want him back next season.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I had severe angulation from a 5th metacarpal break.

I could have wrapped it and played in a big game if i was willing to deal with a little pain.

I think he plays.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't see him missing the game because of the implications........and all I can think about right now is Dez playing through that broken finger in 2012.

My only concern would be ball security. He's had issues with it this season and I would assume that he'd be more likely with the break to just carry the ball in his right hand. If Randle shows he can carry the load, I'd rather not risk the fumbling in a game where we probably can't afford many mistakes. If our running game looks to be inept with Randle/Dunbar, then I'd bring Murray in fairly quickly.

31smackdown

Reaction score
Murray appears to favor his right hand when carrying the ball so I can see them going with a right handed gameplan if they need/want him to play. With Free out and Martin banged up, that might not be a great combination, but i can see them trying it a few times and using Murray as a decoy for play action.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
If this is all it takes to sideline Murray, I definitely don't want him back next season.

This is really getting ridiculous. I have no words to describe the stupidity of this post. I can only hope you were joking.

daveferr33

Reaction score
After re-watching the game yesterday I cannot tell when Murray suffered the injury. He appears to play the entire game. So unless he injured it late, he might have already been playing with the injury. Anyone have any insight on this?

Bigdog

Reaction score
After re-watching the game yesterday I cannot tell when Murray suffered the injury. He appears to play the entire game. So unless he injured it late, he might have already been playing with the injury. Anyone have any insight on this?

I believe he injured it late in the game from what I read. Maybe it was the last series if I recall.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
There is a lot on the line here. Playoffs or maybe no playoffs, Dallas rushing record and a new contract. Meh, he gets a local and plays. I think blocking is going to be the worst.

Really don't matter if Murray is a football guy or this is a business decision. no way he misses this one either way. I will say i've had this injury and it was my right hand. could not rip cord for a month because of grip. but then again he dosen't have to hold up his entire body weight just the football.

cowboys2233

Reaction score

Yeah, I saw when he injured it. Unfortunately, I don't remember what quarter it was (I think the third quarter), but it was obvious. You saw him grimace as soon as he got hit and got up fiddling with his hand as he went to the sideline.

mahoneybill

Reaction score

Understand it was late in the game, and rewatching it you can see a point where Murray is obviously frustrated with something as he comes off the field multiple times.

I'm sure part of it was the no gainers, but it also could have been knowing he had this injury and whether he could even finish the game if really needed...