ESPN Insider: Ask Mel Kiper Jr 1-14-05

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Ask Mel Kiper Jr.!
Mel Kiper: Hello! We will know the Leinart decision at 2:30 PT tomorrow! That's 5:30 ET. It will affect the whole first round of the draft .. it also impacts all of you USC followers. We'll know it all tomorrow!

David, Reno NV: Whats up Mel!, Is Matt Leinart a no brainer for the 49ers if he declares? Also who does he remind you of? Thanks Dave

Mel Kiper: I wouldn't say no-brainer. Depends on the seperation and his grade against Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers. If it's minimal, they might look to trade down. Just depends how they all grade out. If it were me, if I didn't get a great trade offer, I would take Leinart. If I got a blockbuster offer, I'd think about trading down.

Dean (SF, CA): mel, now that earnest shazor has declared, what do you think it will take him to go in the first round? a solid 40 time?

Mel Kiper: Yes. I like Shazor a lot. He is a very very good player. Not just an in the box guy. He's 6-3'', 225 and put it all together this year. He is a big play guy and was consistent. He is also a real intimidator in coverage. If he runs a good 40, he's a mid to late first round. But right now I have him late first or early second.

Dave, Motown: I'm hearing the the Lions are considering cutting joey harrington before feburary. Do you think that will happen and what do you think the will do about the QB situation if they do??

Mel Kiper: I don't think it would be fair to Harrington to move on at this point. He has not had Charles Rogers healthy for a whole season. Or Roy Williams. Kevin Jones was a rookie. This was a young, new group of guys. Until he gets everyone on the field at the same time at full strength, the jury will still be out on Harrington.

Mel Kiper: If they go away from Harrington, where would they go? There isn't a heck of a lot out there. They don't have a lot of options.

Daniel (Phila., PA): Mel - Good job as always. Any Ivy Leaguers that you think will be drafted this year?

Mel Kiper: You could see a few. The top one is Ryan Fitzpatrick who is at East-West Shrine as we speak. He led Harvard to an undefeated season and the Ivy League title. He is a smart kid, ideal size. Yale QB Alvin Cowan is an undrafted free agent type. Harvard has a WR return man that has a chance named Brian Edwards. Also Yale OL Rory Hennessey, Cornell OL Kevin Boothe are also possible undrafted free agents.

James (Houston): Mel, you are the best. I have to admit that I didn't get to see Benson much this year, but in the Rose Bowl he wasn't dominating. What leads experts to believe he will be a force in the NFL if he couldn't take over a game against Michigan or Oklahoma? He put up great numbers, but so did Ron Dayne. Thanks!

Mel Kiper: You have to keep in mind, Texas was very one dimensinal. They didn't have a great OL. Their receivers all moved on. They were a run team. Everybody keyed on Benson while the pass game was sketchy. Benson always makes the first defender miss and has great vision. His leg strength is amazing. His body of work at Texas is outstanding. He's not dazzling but at the end of the day he does all you want. He's a complete player. The only negative I have heard is that he's from Texas and looked up to Ricky Williams. But he's a completely different individual.

Tom (Tucson, AZ): Mel, what do you think the market in the NFL is for tight ends?

Mel Kiper: At the TE position right now, most teams are in pretty good shape. But Chicago could be looking for a TE in addition to WR/RB. Most teams are in very good shape though.

Fireman Ed (NYC): Mel where do you see the Jets going if they do not keep Abraham and Jordan? Does it change what they do if they keep one or the other?

Mel Kiper: I'd be surprised if Abraham is back due to the money he could get. Jordan as well. Someone may see him as a feature back. The Abraham situation will impact them more. You can find RBs in the draft. Pass rushers are harder to find. Georgia's David Pollack might be an option. Matt Roth of Iowa as well.

Scott (Michigan): Mel, if all current CFB players were allowed to enter the draft, who do you think would go #1? I think that it would be Adrian Peterson, without a doubt. Just a hypothetical question!

Mel Kiper: Adrian Peterson more than likely. He would be the best player in that draft. Just based on the ability he has.

Mel Kiper: Ted Ginn Jr. would not be far behind. He is going to be a big-time Heisman candidate next year.

Brandon (Sedalia, MO): Do you see Damien Nash from Mizzou as a sleeper in the draft, or is he too slow for the NFL? Also what rounds do you think that V. Sesay and A. Ellison will go in?

Mel Kiper: Nash has a lot of ability. He has not had a lot of carries during his career. He had a decent season and can pound it hard. I think he has a chance to get some attention around the 5th or 6th round.

Shank (Charleston, SC): Mel, what is the Bolts strategy with Drew Brees, and how will that affect who they take with their first round picks?

Mel Kiper: They will probably franchise Brees. Rivers will still be viewed as the QB of the not too distant future. They are set at QB. At 12, maybe they look at a big WR like Mike Williams. He would be a nice weapon to go along with Tomlinson and Gates. He would be great in the red zone.

Scott (Towson, MD): Mel, What's the latest on DeAngelo Williams? Do you expect him to declare or will the broken leg keep him at Memphis. I would think that he has a chance with a good pro day to be a 1st rounder. Next year, he could be behind Reggie Bush and maybe a couple others if he waits.

Mel Kiper: If anything, it might force him to come out. He will be ready to go. His OL is moving on. His QB is graduating. He could be a potential top 10 pick in the first round. I really like him. I'd say he is certainly a blue chipper and it would surprise me if he went back to Memphis.

Tom (NY): Bigger need for the Giants: WR or O-line? Anybody in the 2nd round when the Giants pick who feels like a good fit?

Mel Kiper: I think OL is a bigger need. They haven't been bringing in any high draft picks recently. They have developed a few players but they need to address the OL with 2-3 picks. They are without the 12th pick which would have helped. I think they also need to spend a couple picks on WR. A couple guys who have moved up at WR .. Roddy White from UAB could be a mid first round guy .. Troy Williamson from S. Carolina also.

Ian: Is Vince Young considering entering the draft?

Mel Kiper: No. He needs some more time to refine his passing skills. He is like a right handed version of M. Vick but he is not ready.

Jeff Louisville, KY: Mel, do you think Eric Shelton is an every down back or do you see him as a goal line runner and do you think he could slide into the second round.

Mel Kiper: I think he could be every down. This is a kid who is adept at breaking long runs. He had an 80-yard run this season and averaged about 7 a carry. He is more than a goaline runner. He will be very interesting to see how his workouts go. Very talented big back.

Nolan (Fayetteville, Arkansas): What are your thoughts on Matt Jones, the icon here in Arkansas? QB, WR, TE?

Mel Kiper: I think he will have to change positions. Will be interesting to see if he shows the hands to be a TE. His workouts will be very important to see if he shows those skills.

Drew (Philly): Hi Mel, If the Eagles don't sign Corey Simon...who are some DL that could be around late in the 1st or early 2nd(Dolphins pick)?

Mel Kiper: The DTs would be Anttaj Hawthorne from Wisonsin, I don't think Shaun Cody will be there .. so Hawthorne might be it and he didnt' have a great senior year. They might not be able to upgrade at that position at that time.

Dave (Baltimore): How will Erasmus James fair with all of the injury questions, I hear he isnt going to the Senior Bowl or any other all star games?

Mel Kiper: He missed all of 2003 and had more problems this year. But up until the ankle, he was having a great year. The concern is durability, no question. I think it will be interesting to see where he goes. I think he could go high, if people forget about all that, or could drop. Will be interesting to watch. I think he ends up a mid first rounder.

John (Bellaire): What is the highest a kicker or punter should reasonably be taken in the draft? I know there are some teams that need those specialty players - but at what point to you exhaust a pick on one?

Mel Kiper: I'd say early to mid second round you could look at Mike Nugent from OSU. Dave Rayner from Michigan St. is also draftable.

Ed (raleigh, NC): who do you really expect to make a splash at the senior bowl ala rivers last year?

Mel Kiper: The two kids that will need a splash are Jason Cambell and Charlie Frye. I don't think they could move to early first round but could move up to late first, early second if they do well in Mobile.

Mel Kiper: The two kids that will need a splash are Jason Cambell and Charlie Frye. I don't think they could move to early first round but could move up to late first, early second if they do well in Mobile.

James (Pullman, Wa): My beloved Broncos got smoked again. Kinda reminded me of their losing Super Bowl years. To me, their biggest problem is their lack of ability to generate a pass rush without blitzing (exposing weak nickle defenders). Any good DL projections for them???

Mel Kiper: When Trevor Price was hurt, they couldn't get any heat on the QB. No question, they need help in this area. A couple guys .. maybe Erasmus James is still there. Shaun Cody. Marcus Spears. There will be some guys around who could be attractive to Denver.

Jamil (Washington DC): Do you see USC's Sean Cody going in the top 15? He seems kind of small for a DT in the NFL.

Mel Kiper: That's why he will be an DE. He's 6'4'', 285. He gives you everything he has, every snap. I think he will be a DE in the NFL. Marcus Spears will also be a quality run defender and brings a lot of ability.

Jason (DC): How bad did CJ Brooks hurt his draft position with his subpar year?

Mel Kiper: He moved down considerably from where he was projected in August. He has a lot of ability and is versatile but he's not the kind of guy who can be a Pro Bowl caliber player in the NFL. I think he can be a capaple, starting guard. But he's just not as dominate as I thought he could be.

Mel Kiper: He's probably a 3rd to 5th round possibility.

JD (Los Angeles): Is USC's Mike Patterson too small for the NFL? Is he a second rounder?

Mel Kiper: Not too small. He is 6' and goes probably 285-290. Great leverage and strength. He is very consistent and productive. I think he will be a second round pick.

Bob (Beaumont): Mel - How much emphasis do scouts really place on these "all-star" games? Is one bad game enough to drop a guy's stock two or three rounds? Thanks and keep up the great work.

Mel Kiper: It shouldn't be, but it does have an effect. When you see a guy up close that way, it's very important. The practices are more important than the game though. The Senior Bowl is the most important one. I'll be there all week and some of the practices will be televised which will be neat. You already have a rating on a guy, you are just tweaking your ratings, not changing your opinions altogether.

Levi (Mesa,AZ): Do you think Norm Chow will get an offensive coordinator gig in the NFL?

Mel Kiper: I don't know why he doesn't have one already. He should be the top candidate. Assuming he wants to do that. He has a great situation right now at USC.

Mel Kiper: He is a true offensive guru.

Bryan (Annapolis): Did Shawne Merriman make the right decision leaving Maryland a year early to enter the draft? And will anyone draft Steve Suter for his speed and return ability?

Mel Kiper: I think he made the right decision. He will be a mid first round guy. He is a Terrell Suggs type player. He squats almost 600 pounds and has a 41.5 vertical. He could be ideal as a 4-3 DE .. he's like a Jason Taylor-Terrell Suggs-Joey Porter mold.

Zac (Reno, NV): Mel, do you feel Vick was really worthy of MVP consideration? I know he can run, but his QB rating of 78.1 rated only 21st in the NFL.

Mel Kiper: Good question.. He's worthy. Do I think he is close to Manning? No. Manning was the winner, no question. Manning should have received every vote. He was head and shoulders above everybody else. But without Vick, Atlanta was probably a 4-12 team. He propels them to 11-5. But is he MVP of the league? No.

Darren (Boca Raton): Don't you think Channing Crowder hurt his draft status a little bit this year? He go hurt, plus when he did Brandon Siler stepped in as a true freshman and did the job just as well, if not better than channing.

Mel Kiper: He didnt' have the year expected because of injury. He just wasn't able to be on the field enough. As a true freshman in 2003, he had 106 tackles. Then the knee injury. He missed several games this year. He's 6'3'', 245 and a tough tough kid. He's a true MLB with the mentality to match. I think he goes between 15-25 in the first round.

Tony Mac (SF): if the 49ers do trade down how far can they go and still get Smith, Rodgers, or Leinart? And what can they get?

Mel Kiper: If the team that trades up takes a QB and Miami takes a QB .. they couldn't drop below 7 or 10. But 1-2-3 could end up all being QBs if San Fran trades down. You could also see all three first teams trade down!

Mel Kiper: FYI.. QBs went 1-2-3 in 1971 with 1)Jim Plunkett, 2) Archie Manning and 3) Dan Pastorini

Mel Kiper: I don't think it will happen this year, but it could.

Alan, Richmond VA: Bryan Randall has a heart of gold and is a good college quarterback. Do you expect him to make an NFL roster?

Mel Kiper: He could. I don't think he will get drafted though. He is a great leader, can move, can escape. He was a heck of a college QB, but is probably a backup in the NFL at best.

Dan (Louisville): Which underclassmen who have not declared for the 2005 draft are risking the most by not declaring this year?

Mel Kiper: The ones we are watching closely are Matt Leinart, DeAngelo Williams, D-Brickashaw Ferguson, Ahmad Brooks, Justin Tuck, Darryl Blackstock.

Paul (Princeton, NJ): Mel, Darryl Blackstock has declared for the draft (according to the Daily Progress, Charlottesville) .. where do you think he'll be picked? Thanks.

Mel Kiper: I think he has a chance to be a late first rounder. He's 6'3'', 235 .. 10 sacks as a freshman. He has become more of a complete player in the last couple seasons. He has a lot of ability.

JCK (Chicago, IL): Oh Wise Draft Guru, We hear a lot from everyone about the players from the top schools, and deservedly so. But only you can provide us with info we can't get anywhere else. Please give us a few names from non-division 1 schools who will be playing on Sundays this fall. Is Boomer Grigsby from Illinois State one of them? Thanks.

Mel Kiper: Boomer Grisby IS one of them. Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard we mentioned. Brandon Jacobs, RB at S. Illinois .. Vincent Jackson, WR N. Colorado .. Jerome Mathis, WR from Hampton .. Adam Bergen, TE from LeHigh .. Michael Roos, OT from E. Washington .. P.D. Moore, S from Towson .. RB Derrick Johnese from NW State in Louisiana

Majeed (San Diego, CA): Yo Mel can you answer one of my questions so I can show my buddies here at work how productive I am at doing my job. Fins go after QB, RB, OL with their #2 pick?

Mel Kiper: I would take a QB if I was the Dolphins. I'm not sold on Feeley as the guy who can win in the playoffs. Leinart would look good in a Dolphins jersey. I rate them Leinart, Smith, Rodgers in that order. If I passed on a QB at 2, I'd look at Frye or Capbell in the second round.

Mel Kiper: You can get a RB later down the line.

Adam U. (Portland, OR): Any idea of what percentage of players drafted in the 1st round are still in the league just 3-5 years later? What about later rounds? thanks....

Mel Kiper: I've never charted that. But over the last 26 or 27 years, roughly 50 percent of the first rounders live up to potential. In other words, go on to be quality starters in the NFL.

Marlowe, Alaska: What about Reggie Bush?

Mel Kiper: Reggie Bush will be a heck of an NFL player in his time. He will make a decision after next year. He will certainly be a first round pick. Great all around player. Does he develop into the next Marshall Faulk? He will have to show he can carry the ball full time.

It's going to be fun over the next couple days.. Juniors have until Sat. to declare.. Leinarts decision comes at 5:30 ET tomorrow ... by Monday we should have a good idea of things. My first round projection will go up late afternoon on Monday on ESPN.com! Talk to you next week!

lkelly

Reaction score
Sucks to be a Dolphins fan and read Mel's answer since you don't own a 2nd round pick.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Once again, according to Kiper, there's like 15 top 10 picks this year, and 55 first round picks. It's hilarious. I mean, DeAngelo Williams is good, but top 10?! lmao! Isn't he like 170 lbs?

If I wasn't so lazy I'd go through everyone of Mel's draft chats and write down everyone he deems a "First round pick".

This is one of the weakest drafts in the last decade, yet so many guys will be first round picks. lol

Bobo

Reaction score
Rack said:
Once again, according to Kiper, there's like 15 top 10 picks this year, and 55 first round picks. It's hilarious. I mean, DeAngelo Williams is good, but top 10?! lmao! Isn't he like 170 lbs?

If I wasn't so lazy I'd go through everyone of Mel's draft chats and write down everyone he deems a "First round pick".

This is one of the weakest drafts in the last decade, yet so many guys will be first round picks. lol

I think Big Hair just likes to keep people talking about the draft. Cody at #2 and Williams top 10? Sounds silly to me. Williams isn't small though, he's listed around 215.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bobo said:
I think Big Hair just likes to keep people talking about the draft. Cody at #2 and Williams top 10? Sounds silly to me. Williams isn't small though, he's listed around 215.

You sure? I'm always mixing DeAngelo Williams up with the RB from New Mexico (Dontrell Moore?) so maybe that's the guy I was thinking is 170 lbs.

Bobo

Reaction score
Rack said:
You sure? I'm always mixing DeAngelo Williams up with the RB from New Mexico (Dontrell Moore?) so maybe that's the guy I was thinking is 170 lbs.

Yeah, I've seen DeAngelo many times. He may be 205-210, you know how colleges can add some height and weight to players. Actually has a body kindas like JJ. Are you thinking about the guy from UNLV? I think he's around 170, and quick/fast as hell.