ESPN Insider: Chat NFL Draft with Todd McShay

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
Chat NFL Draft with Todd McShay

Todd McShay: Hey everyone... thanks for joining. College football just wrapped up, which means NFL draft season is in full swing. I'm currently in San Francisco for the week of practice leading up to Sat's East-West Shrine game.. then it's on to Vegas for the Vegas All-Star Classic, followed by the Senior Bowl down in Mobile, AL.

Todd McShay: With the majority of the draft order set, three weeks full of postseason all-star games, and the underclassmen deadline (Jan. 15) looming, there's more than enough to talk about in regards to the upcoming draft... let's get after it...

Scott (Rochester, NY): Todd, Is it too much of a reach for the Bears to pick Braylon Edwards at #4?

Todd McShay: Not at all. I'm not sure after spending first round money on David Terrell that the organization will be exciting about drafting another Mich. WR that high... However, I think he's the best WR in this class and there isn't a lot of value that high in the draft at other positions of need for the Bears -- such as OL and DB.

Todd McShay: I think everyone just automatically assumes that Mike WIlliams is the best WR in this year's class but don't be surprised if Edwards comes off the board first. He's nearly as tall, doesn't have weight concerns, is coming off a monster senior season (compared to Williams, who sat out the year) and he is significantly faster.

Jeff (Sioux Falls): With the 32nd pick, who would the Vikings be looking at?

Todd McShay: That's an awfully big assumption... get back to me on that one in early Feb.

Tim (Boston): Who are the top 5 defensive players coming out this year?

Todd McShay: As it stands right now, I think the following are the top five defensive prospects in this year's class:

Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas

Antrel Rolle, DC, Miami-FL

Travis Johnson, DT, FSU

Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin

Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma

--- Pac Man Jones (WVU cornerback/RS) isn't far behind.

nick (portland): Dallas has the 11th pick in the draft. Do you see them in any way getting Derrick Johnson that late? If not, who do you think might fall there? Thanks!

Todd McShay: I'd be surprised if Johnson were still around. There will be a lot of offensive players coming off the board early... it could be QB's Leinart (if he comes out) and Rodgers, RB's Benson, Brown, Williams, and WR's Edwards and Williams as seven of the top-10 picks. But Johnson will slip in there as one of, if not the first defensive player to come off the board... I think he's dynamic enough to become the type of impact player that Derrick Brooks has been for the Bucs over the years.

Todd McShay: Also, I'd be surprised if the Cowboys didn't go after a cornerback with that pick (No. 11). This class is loaded with cornerback talent, including Rolle, Pac Man Jones, Brandon Browner, Carlos Rogers, Corey Webster, Justin Miller, Eric Green, Marlin Jackson and Bryant McFadden. In any given year you could make a case for all of those prospects as first round talents. I think the Cowboys' biggest defensvie weakness was at the cornerback position after losing Mario Edwards. They need to bring in a top talent at RCB and they also need Newman to bounce back after a disappointing season in '04

brian (atl): Where do you see Justin Miller going?

Todd McShay: Late first or early second round. His return ability and speed will make him awfully enticing late in the first, but as mentioned there's a lot of cornerback talent in this class, which could lead to him slipping a bit.

Rick (stratford nj): Do you think Parcells would take a qb with one of their first round picks?

Todd McShay: not a chance. he probably will bring in another veteran to compete for the starting job if Henson isn't ready, but I still think the future is Henson in Dallas.

pat (sacramento): How about the Raiders? Travis Johnson seems to fit the bill and any chance we can get Lance Mitchell in the second round.

Todd McShay: After his 2003 knee injury I don't think Mitchell was the same player this year. Durability concerns should also lead to him slipping to the second round range. So, to answer your question, yes... getting Mitchell in the second round is a strong possibility.

Todd McShay: As for the first round, I really think the Raiders should look long and hard at one of the top running backs in this class. With Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams grading out as top-15 prospects, this could be the time for the Raiders to get their featured back with the 7th pick. Norv Turner's offensive scheme is designed to power away with a north-south running attack that opens up some vertical play-action options. They have the O-line in place, enough speed at WR and a strong arm in Collins to execute that scheme. All they are missing is the "bell-cow" at RB.

sean (san diego): Who should the 49ers draft with there #1 pick

Todd McShay: I think they'd be wise to trade out of that pick. In my opinion, the top of this draft is weak. If you look at the top-10 prospects right now, most of them wouldn't have been in the top-10 of last year's draft. Mike Williams is a perfect example. He probably would have been the 11th pick in last year's draft but there's a chance that he's a top-5 pick this year. I know the 49ers are incapable of making a smart decision these days, but in terms of value their best bet is to trade down, acquire more picks, and address multiple needs instead of using that top pick on Rodgers or Leinart, who both probably would have been the third or fourth quarterbacks taken in last year's class with Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger.

Doug N. (Burbank, CA): Todd: How about the Chiefs? Are they going WR or defense? What can they get at each? Can they get an impact WR in the first two rounds? Here is a sleeper with size and speed........Craig Bragg from ucla.

Todd McShay: You might be right on Bragg... he doesn't have the explosive speed of a first round pick but he's got everything else you look for in a potential starting WR in the NFL. I think he'll drop because he won't run a great time in Indy and he didn't have a great senior season b/c of the early injury. However, he'll be a great value in the 2nd-3rd round range.

Todd McShay: As for the Chiefs, I think it's a case of best value at WR, DE, LB and CB with the 15th pick. There's obviously a long way to go between now and April's draft, but if you were to look at it now the Chiefs will probably have a lot of good options... the top of the draft isn't real strong but there is good depth in this class, as there's about 30 players that grade out as mid-to-late first round prospects. With that in mind, prospects such as South Carolina WR Troy Williamson, Georgia DE David Pollack, USC DL Shaun Cody, Oregon State DC Brandon Browner, Auburn DC Carlos Rogers and Florida LB Channing Crowder could all be good fits.

Josh, Des Moines: Where do you see Matt Roth ending up, is he first round material? Personally I think he is better than E. James.

Todd McShay: I think he'll come off the board in the 20-32 range of the first round. James showed more explosiveness this season but James is also a riskier pick because of his past injuries... you just wonder if he's going to hold up and if he was a little bit of a "flash in the pan". I think James can become an impact player in the NFL but he's a high-risk, high-reward type. Roth isn't quite as explosive but he's safer.

Jeff (Cleveland): Please rate your top OL and where they will go; and Browns front office, please pay attention!!

Todd McShay: First off, I can't agree more with you in terms of the Browns needing to address this. In their defense they simply couldn't get Gallery last season b/c Oak. wasn't willing to trade down, but not addressing their O-line in free agency was a mistake. The problem this year is that there simply isn't a blue-chip OL. Miami's Kevin Everett got injured and will return for his senior season and UVA's D. Ferguson also chose to return to school for 2005. The best OL available is FSU's Alex Barron, but he's not deserving of the third overall pick. Moving down might be the Browns best option if they can find a suitor. If not, drafting a QB at No. 3 (maybe Rodgers or Leinart) and then an OL like Oklahoma's Jammal Brown or Virginia's Elton Brown early in the 2nd round would be the way to go.

Steve (NY): Todd, the Steelers will probably draft somewhere around 26 and up...Who do you think they will be taking at that point?

Todd McShay: They could still use cornerback help and there's loads of talent at that position. A FS to upgrade over Hope wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't think Thomas Davis will be around that long and Michigan's Ernest Shazor is more of a SS type in the mold of Polamalu. It wouldn't hurt for them to address the depth issue along their defensive line and they also could stand to upgrade the OLB positon where Hagans is now. If a guy like David Pollack or junior DE/OLB Shawne Merriman (maryland) ever slipped to them, that would be a great value at an impact position in their 3-4 scheme.

Jim (Boston): What?? No Commanders questions yet?? Let me change that! Do you think Mike Williams will be around when the Commanders pick at 9? If not, then where do you see the Skins going?

Todd McShay: Yeah, but why in the world would the Commanders draft a WR when they have Coles and Gardner as starters, Thrash as a veteran sub-package guy and Jacobs as an up-and-coming No. 3?

Todd McShay: I think the Skins need to focus on their defensive line and find an impact pass rusher in order to take pressure off of their back seven. They have to blitz too much in order to get pressure, which leaves them exposed too often in coverage. With the 9th pick overall, Erasmus James and Dan Cody are awfully appealing.

Todd McShay: By the way Husker fans, what's going on with your program? CB Fabien Washington already decided to leave, DT LeKevin Smith is seriously considering it, and I just got a call from someone close to the program telling me that FS Josh Bullucks has just decided to take the NFL plunge. I hope that recruiting class is as good as everyone says it is...

Ed (Huntsville, AL): What do you see the Dolphins doing with the second pick?

Todd McShay: They're in a good situation with that pick. Two of their biggest positions of need are QB and RB and five of the top seven-or-so prospects right now on my board are at those two positions. For starters, coach Saban needs to make a decision as to whether or not he wants to move forward with A.J. Feeley... Feeley has shown flashes but he certainly leaves a lot of doubts heading into the 2005 season. If Saban and staff can live with him, then RB is the position to go after. Benson might be the best prospect in the class, but do the Dolphins really want another Texas RB after the Williams debacle?

brian (princeton): todd, your pick: leinart or rodgers? why?

Todd McShay: Rodgers. I know Leinart is much taller and he has everything you look for in terms of intangibles, but this isn't a Manning-Leaf deal. Rodgers is only 6-1 but there have been plenty of successful QB's at that height in the NFL. He is a much better athlete than Leinart, which will show up much more on the NFL level. Rodgers has the stronger arm and will be able to make more throws in the league. And it's not like Rodgers is a bad guy or was a loser at the collegiate level. He did more with less at Cal than Leinart did at USC.

Mike (Baltimore): Who do you think could fall to the Ravens at 22, who should they target?

Todd McShay: They have got to find a playmaker at WR. They tried with T.O. and they had their hands cuffed without a first round pick last year. I think if Troy Williamson is around when it gets close to the Ravens pick, they should trade up in order to secure him. He has great size, was tremendously productive in a predominantly run-oriented offense at South Carolina, and he might be the fastest of the top WR's in this class. If Edwards, Williams and WIlliamson are gone, Oklahoma's Mark Clayton is probably going to be the next best option.

Gun (LA): Todd, where would Alex Smith go? and what round?

Todd McShay: I think Smith will come off the board in the first round... probably in the top-20 picks. He needs to bulk up and he'll have a big jump from the MWC to the NFL, but Pennington, Leftwich and Roethlisberger have done just fine as mid-major collegiate quarterbacks transitioning to the NFL. I love Smith's toughness and competitiveness. He's also a very good athlete and an accurate passer. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the third QB taken after Rodgers and Leinart (assuming Leinart decides to come out tomorrow).

Todd McShay: Well, that has to be it for today. I'm heading out to practice for the East-West Shrine game... Great questions today... The excitement is already in the air for the 2005 draft and we're still three months away. Look forward to chatting with you guys next week... Be good.

lkelly

Reaction score
Maybe McShay missed the parts of each Washington game where their offense was on the field. Or he didn't bother to look at their miserable rankings in both offensive and specifically passing categories. And is Rod Gardner even signed through next season?