News: ESPN: Jason Witten's fashion statement

NewsBot

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- Tight end Jason Witten is as old school as they come. With the cold weather Monday night against the Chicago Bears, Witten will be sleeveless, like the offensive linemen and some of the defensive players. "Football ain’t meant to be played like that," Witten said of the sleeves. "I don’t know. I do bundle up over there on the bench though. Nah, I don’t let that get in the way. I mean, there is something to be said when you’re out there playing, you’ve got to not wear sleeves.

Continue reading...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They ask Sean Lee about sleeves or no sleeves in an interview last week. He said "I'm not trying to prove myself as a tough guy, I just care about being the best possible player that I can be. I'll wear whatever makes me most effective".

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They ask Sean Lee about sleeves or no sleeves in an interview last week. He said "I'm not trying to prove myself as a tough guy, I just care about being the best possible player that I can be. I'll wear whatever makes me most effective".

Yeah, iirc, he said he tries to prove he's a tough guy by making good plays on the field. Pretty good reply, if you ask me.

Though, for Wit, he might just feel having his arms covered gets in the way of catching the ball somehow, and just doesn't like it.

revospeed

Reaction score
Dan Campbell used to haze the sleeves off of Witten. Literally.

yimyammer

Reaction score

love that guy and every thing he says, I'd take guys with lesser talent but with the same work ethic and passion for the game that kid has

DuceizBak

Reaction score
I love Witten, but I don't get this.
If I was a coach i'd make sure every player wore atleast two shirts and a sleeve shirt.
Yeah being tough is good, but it hurts more than it helps unless they're on PCP and can't feel anything

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Yeah, iirc, he said he tries to prove he's a tough guy by making good plays on the field. Pretty good reply, if you ask me.

Though, for Wit, he might just feel having his arms covered gets in the way of catching the ball somehow, and just doesn't like it.

Lee should be used to cold weather prep due to playing for Penn State .

Nation

Reaction score
I love Witten, but I don't get this.
If I was a coach i'd make sure every player wore atleast two shirts and a sleeve shirt.
Yeah being tough is good, but it hurts more than it helps unless they're on PCP and can't feel anything

The only thing is you don't want guys blocking while wearing sleeves, it gives the other team a leverage edge.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
love that guy and every thing he says, I'd take guys with lesser talent but with the same work ethic and passion for the game that kid has

Not me, talent wins. There are plenty of people on this planet that thinks like this, but they can't play. I don't care how you make me feel inside, I want to see you kicking *** on the playing field. And don't get it twisted, Lee has top notch talent, not lesser. I don't care how much passion you have, if you run a 4.9 40, your passion will be left in the dust by AP. If you can't bench press much, your heart will be run over by some Guard. These guys are good, not because of their passion, but because they are talented.

Their approach to the game is different. Most guys go all out. Others do what needs to be done and no more. And then a few guys are just their for a pay check, but you don't make it that far without some form of passion.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Not me, talent wins. There are plenty of people on this planet that thinks like this, but they can't play. I don't care how you make me feel inside, I want to see you kicking *** on the playing field. And don't get it twisted, Lee has top notch talent, not lesser. I don't care how much passion you have, if you run a 4.9 40, your passion will be left in the dust by AP. If you can't bench press much, your heart will be run over by some Guard. These guys are good, not because of their passion, but because they are talented.

Their approach to the game is different. Most guys go all out. Others do what needs to be done and no more. And then a few guys are just their for a pay check, but you don't make it that far without some form of passion.

I agree with a lot of what you say amigo but I wasn't suggesting getting a bunch of scrubs with good attitudes. I'm suggesting that if given the choice to have several players with Lee's attitude that are a combination 70-90% of whatever would be considered best at a given position, I think it would be prudent to spread the risk among several, lower paid players and build a better overall team. Easier said than done, but I think parity makes it do-able for a good organization with a good staff and commitment to a process like this with good analytics. Garrett seems to like team captains so I think there is evidence they might try to think this way.

You can't keep a team of superstars together long, if it all, if you were somehow able to build a team like that in the first place.

Look at all the cap money we've lost locking into players management feels are essential either because they don't have another plan or over-value their players. Restructuring Rat's contract unnecessarily, Miles huge contract plus the 10 million dollar penalty, franchising Spencer are examples that come to mind that have hurt the team and given us next to nothing for the cap dollars spent. Had management understood the risk in making these financial commitments to older players or injury prone (Austin) and passed, they wouldn't have been much or any worse off than they are now and they would have had close to 30 million to spend on a slew of free agents this season to address the loss of these players.

It appears to me this team has been top heavy for years and I'm of the opinion that outside of big commitments to the QB, left tackle & other offensive lineman to protect your biggest investment and maybe a few other players, a team is better off churning the roster and treating it like college where players are gone in 3-4 years.

Injuries are taking out key, expensive players every weekend, I just don't think its realistic to think a team can win it all relying on a top heavy roster like it appears the Cowboys have been doing for years.

This team strikes my as reactive and not proactive and it seems like they've been that way for years. I believe if they are ever going to have success, they are going to have to make some sound changes to whatever operational model they operate under, if they have one at all.