ESPN Lenny P Tipsheet: Romo-Cowboys talks/Tank Johnson's contract

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5;1675198 said:
Placing the exclusive franchise tag on him means he can not even talk to other teams. With that tag on him he can only negotiate with Dallas

I think you are correct on that. We own Romo with the tag. But likely deal gets done here.

Tony Romo may be looking at a $20M-$30M signing bonus at year end.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Nors;1675286 said:
I think you are correct on that. We own Romo with the tag. But likely deal gets done here.

I think there is no doubt jerry gets a deal done. Romo is not going anywhere

28 million Bonus is about where I think it will land.

btw welcome back

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5;1675317 said:
I think there is no doubt jerry gets a deal done. Romo is not going anywhere

28 million Bonus is about where I think it will land.

btw welcome back

Glad to be back.
Dallas Nation is primed for a big 2007 run!

I am not remotely concerned about losing Romo. It's just a matter of how big the deal is.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Nors;1675371 said:
Glad to be back.
Dallas Nation is primed for a big 2007 run!

I am not remotely concerned about losing Romo. It's just a matter of how big the deal is.

This team could be special, I sure hope it is.

I am not worried about ow big the deal is. Stephen Jones has proven to me he is capable of getting a deal done and not hurting our future cap.

sandy007

Reaction score
T.O. is happy and not a story. I think sports reporters want to create a story. The Jones will sign Romo or tag him in order to have more time to sign a deal.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
sandy007;1675465 said:
T.O. is happy and not a story. I think sports reporters want to create a story. The Jones will sign Romo or tag him in order to have more time to sign a deal.

Sandy:

It's almost as easy math as Romo wants to be the Dallas QB and JJ wants him to be also. It's semantics on how Rich one Tony Romo will be.

I have $30M bonus and $85M as target contract.

Reaction score
I believe Romo will get his money at the end of the season... Tank Johnson will contribute in a big way this year!

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
All of a sudden this week there is a lot of talk about this situation and I believe that, no matter what Romo may say publicly, he isn't happy with Jerry dragging his feet and telling his agents that he might use the franchise tag. I believe Romo wants a fair market, long term deal and he wants it now.

As far as I can tell all of this started Sunday Night when Madden brought it up out of the clear blue during the middle of one of Romo's best performances to date.

I believe Romo is expressing some frustration to his friends in the media about the negotiations.

We all know Romo isn't going anywhere but I hope the deal gets done soon and we don't end up with any acrimony between the two sides like there was during Emmitt's negotiations in '93.

sago1

Reaction score
Jones didn't sign Romo to a contract before this season started cause he wasn't sure what he had. Was it the Romo of the first 5 or so games or the last 5 or so games. Romo's performance so far this year, particularly against the Bears, certainly showed that Romo may not be just a starting QB but an elite starting QB in the manner of Brady or Manning. If Jones is going to shell out that kind of money, he's going to take his time to be very sure. I don't believe for a second Jerry will wait until the end of the season to lock him up. But I do think Jerry waits til he sees how Romo performs against two 0-3 teams (does he still perform at a high level against perceived lesser teams?) but also against the NE Pats. Don't believe Jerry would be upset with Romo if we lost but wants to see how Romo handles it. If Romo doesn't get his new contract during the bye week, believe he gets it within 1-2 weeks afterwards.

BTW: It would be plain stupid for Jerry to put the franchise tag on Romo. I think Romo's happy in Dallas with strong ties to the team, the community and his friends on the team. But if I were Romo, I'd be real irked about the franchise tag (maybe feel Jerry has betrayed him) to the extent he might refuse to sign the deal and not attend TC or play until 10th game. If that happened, our 08 season goes down the tube. Or, Romo could agree to sign the franchise one year offer but demand phrase be included as a condition of his signature that team could not franchise/transition him again. If Romo has a good year in 08, that means we would lose him in FA in 09 season without any compensation whatsoever.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Nors;1675286 said:

If Jerry is waiting for Romo to implode, or he's not convinced yet in what Romo brings to the table, he is a fool.

Even I, sometimes, wonder how in the world could Romo come out of no where, all the scouts in the world couldn't tell this guy was special, and now he's tearing up the league, it just can't be true. NOTE TO JERRY: WE GOT LUCKY, JUST GO WITH IT AND DON'T ASK QUESTIONS. :(

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
iceberg;1675120 said:
this brings up the question that if we franchise him, would we take 2 1st round picks for him in trade? if no, good. i don't think i would either. but what if a team like atlanta would give us their next 2 1st round picks.

would you do it?

Is this actually a serious question???:lmao2:

We have marched out garbage after garbage at the QB position for the last decade and you are asking if we take a pair of one for Romo???:lmao:

Yea, let him walk and lets draft a rookie that has never played a freaking down in the NFL and give him $30 mill guarented (see Russell) and "hope" that he is not a bust:laugh2:

NEWS FLASH: FRANCHISE QBs ARE WORTH MORE THAN 2 FIRST ROUNDERS

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
sago1;1675572 said:
Jones didn't sign Romo to a contract before this season started cause he wasn't sure what he had. Was it the Romo of the first 5 or so games or the last 5 or so games. Romo's performance so far this year, particularly against the Bears, certainly showed that Romo may not be just a starting QB but an elite starting QB in the manner of Brady or Manning. If Jones is going to shell out that kind of money, he's going to take his time to be very sure. I don't believe for a second Jerry will wait until the end of the season to lock him up. But I do think Jerry waits til he sees how Romo performs against two 0-3 teams (does he still perform at a high level against perceived lesser teams?) but also against the NE Pats. Don't believe Jerry would be upset with Romo if we lost but wants to see how Romo handles it. If Romo doesn't get his new contract during the bye week, believe he gets it within 1-2 weeks afterwards.

BTW: It would be plain stupid for Jerry to put the franchise tag on Romo. I think Romo's happy in Dallas with strong ties to the team, the community and his friends on the team. But if I were Romo, I'd be real irked about the franchise tag (maybe feel Jerry has betrayed him) to the extent he might refuse to sign the deal and not attend TC or play until 10th game. If that happened, our 08 season goes down the tube. Or, Romo could agree to sign the franchise one year offer but demand phrase be included as a condition of his signature that team could not franchise/transition him again. If Romo has a good year in 08, that means we would lose him in FA in 09 season without any compensation whatsoever.

I am not worried about Romo going anywhere. Everybody knows he is going to get at least $30 mill signing bonus, the lenght, base salaries, roster bonuses, incentives, voidable years, ect....

This type of deal does not get done over a weekend. I really think the bye week will be when the deal gets done.:D

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
First...Hello to everyone. One of my thoughts are maybe Jerry wants that kid McFadden so bad that he thinks that the cleveland pick might not work out. Cleveland stole one from Cincinnati and almost won against the Raiders. Our first round pick is going to be a low one for sure. So why not take that extra first round pick next year for romo und finally get McFadden. Now everybody thinks we don´t have a quarterback anymore...the answer is simple and scary.....Jerry looks to get a deal done with MICHAEL VICK.
Imagine McFadden and Vick...the hole Media would jump on that and Jerry loves that. Don´t get me wrong but maybe Jerry is considering this.
My standpoint to that is DON`T LET ROMO GO AND SIGN HIM UP NOW!!!!!

sago1

Reaction score
Michael Vick will still be in jail next year. And as much as I love the Cowboys, signing Vick is pushing the envelope. No way Jerry would sign Michael Vick as his QB and the face of the Cowboy franchise. Besides Vick can't begin to compare with Romo. Also don't forget Jerry wants SB trophies and there's no way Vick can produce those.

A franchise QB is easily worth 2 first rounders. Teams have traded 2 picks for top QBs in the draft in the past. The Bears and numerous other teams would give their eyeteeth for a chance at Romo. Can you imagine how good the Bears could be with Romo as their QB. Of course they'd have to get a real OC, 1-2 decent WRs (but then maybe TO would demand to go with Romo), and a real RB.

Anyway this whole thing is dumb. Jerry passed on a chance to draft Brady Quinn with our first rounder and passed on it cause we had Romo. I remember reading where many Cowboy fans were upset when he did that cause they weren't sure about Romo. Man, those fans have sure disappeared. Romo is putting up record setting numbers while Brady Quinn is throwing footballs in the yellow grass not on the real practice field.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
iceberg;1675120 said:
this brings up the question that if we franchise him, would we take 2 1st round picks for him in trade? if no, good. i don't think i would either. but what if a team like atlanta would give us their next 2 1st round picks.

would you do it?

Nope. Its quality over quantity on this one.

You would not have a starting QB.
First round picks are not guaranteed winners. If you are lucky... you could have one 1st rounder contributing in first year.

I say contributing. Romo is leading. I take the latter.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1675640 said:
Is this actually a serious question???:lmao2:

We have marched out garbage after garbage at the QB position for the last decade and you are asking if we take a pair of one for Romo???:lmao:

Yea, let him walk and lets draft a rookie that has never played a freaking down in the NFL and give him $30 mill guarented (see Russell) and "hope" that he is not a bust:laugh2:

NEWS FLASH: FRANCHISE QBs ARE WORTH MORE THAN 2 FIRST ROUNDERS

you 12 years old/ i swear i have to worry about the overall IQ of someone who shouts a lot and has to use so many emo's.

i presented a question that could be possible
i outlined a few alternatives
and then i said i'd not do it and i'd sign what we have because we know it's "good".

and you gotta become some giggle toy kiddo. keep up.

YoMick;1675745 said:
Nope. Its quality over quantity on this one.

You would not have a starting QB.
First round picks are not guaranteed winners. If you are lucky... you could have one 1st rounder contributing in first year.

I say contributing. Romo is leading. I take the latter.

i totally agree and in the end i wonder if another could pump up the price beacuse they know we want romo, not 2 1st round picks.

the flip side is - ever see someone traded for 2 1st and it *was* a good deal for the one who got the player and lost the picks?