ESPN Lenny P Tipsheet: Romo-Cowboys talks/Tank Johnson's contract

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo-Cowboys talks: Dallas owner Jerry Jones continues to talk about the potential for signing emerging star quarterback Tony Romo to a long-term contract extension. But talk is cheap. What isn't going to be cheap, though, is a new deal for the fifth-year veteran, who is in the final year of a contract that pays him a base salary of just $1.5 million for 2007. There have been discussions lately between Cowboys chief operating officer/executive vice president Stephen Jones and agent Ken Kremer, who is Romo's primary representative at Creative Artists Agency, but the two sides aren't close to a deal.

It's believed that Kremer is seeking a contract north of the extension that St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger signed this summer, a deal that pays the Rams' star an average of nearly $11 million per year. Even if a contract isn't consummated, Dallas isn't going to allow Romo onto the unrestricted free-agent market, and the Cowboys seem content for now to just designate him as a franchise player, if need be.

But that could be a relatively expensive venture, too. Although it is thought that the qualifying offer for a franchise quarterback actually will be reduced in the spring of 2008 -- perhaps from the $12.615 million it was this year to about $11 million, in part because Michael Vick's contract will be eliminated from the equation the Cowboys probably would have to use the exclusive franchise marker to keep any teams from trying to pry Romo away. And the exclusive qualifying offer could be in the $14 million range, with the possibility of it rising to about $17 million in 2009.

So the Cowboys could use the exclusive tender for two years, and pay Romo about $31 million, and then have to pay even more for a third franchised year. So while there is a possibility Dallas could retain Romo for three more years, just by applying the exclusive franchise designation, the price tag might exceed $50 million. It might just be easier, and more financially prudent, to sign him to a long-term contract.
----

Tank Johnson's contract: The incentive package included in the two-year contract that defensive tackle Tank Johnson signed with Dallas two weeks ago can end up paying the former Chicago starter a lot of money. Even though Johnson got just minimum base salaries -- $510,000 for this year, prorated over the number of games in which he participates, and $605,000 for 2008 -- he could net more than $4 million if he plays exceedingly well once he joins the Cowboys for the second half of the season.

The club felt it was smart to sign Johnson this early, Jones reiterated to ESPN.com last Sunday night, because it feared some other teams might lose defensive tackles and get into the chase for the fourth-year veteran.

"He can be an outstanding player, and to get a guy in here who will be fresh for the second half (of the year) will be a boost," Jones said.
His suspension does not preclude Johnson from working out at the Cowboys' facility, as long as the sessions are individual, and he is expected to begin doing so this weekend or early next week.

LINK

aikemirv

Reaction score
Jerry really needs to get this done by 3/4 point of the season. If we are as successful as I think we will be then this is going to just become a bigger and bigger distraction - caused by the meida of course. I mean it already gets talked about in many different articles after the 3rd game of the year.

morieeel

Reaction score
For those wondering/forgot (Like Myself) :) the difference between Exclusive and non Exclusive franchise tags
from wikipedia:
There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

* An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
* A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
and if he plays exceedingly well then Tank is still a steal

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1675073 said:
Romo-Cowboys talks: Dallas owner Jerry Jones continues to talk about the potential for signing emerging star quarterback Tony Romo to a long-term contract extension. But talk is cheap. What isn't going to be cheap, though, is a new deal for the fifth-year veteran, who is in the final year of a contract that pays him a base salary of just $1.5 million for 2007. There have been discussions lately between Cowboys chief operating officer/executive vice president Stephen Jones and agent Ken Kremer, who is Romo's primary representative at Creative Artists Agency, but the two sides aren't close to a deal.....So the Cowboys could use the exclusive tender for two years, and pay Romo about $31 million, and then have to pay even more for a third franchised year. So while there is a possibility Dallas could retain Romo for three more years, just by applying the exclusive franchise designation, the price tag might exceed $50 million. It might just be easier, and more financially prudent, to sign him to a long-term contract.
----

this brings up the question that if we franchise him, would we take 2 1st round picks for him in trade? if no, good. i don't think i would either. but what if a team like atlanta would give us their next 2 1st round picks.

would you do it?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal;1675126 said:
...didn't PFT report that Tom Condon is romo's agent?
They're partners with the same agency. Condon is the big dog that people like to name, but I believe the Kremer dude is who will be doing the primary negotiations with Stephen and co.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;1675120 said:
this brings up the question that if we franchise him, would we take 2 1st round picks for him in trade? if no, good. i don't think i would either. but what if a team like atlanta would give us their next 2 1st round picks.

would you do it?

I wouldn't even consider it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
iceberg;1675120 said:

would you do it?

Well, we have two 1st rounders this year, and if Romo were to bring us 2 1st rounders next year that would give us 3 1st rounders next year, but no QB.

But, no, if Romo does what I think he will do this season, you have to keep him! It's been a LONG time since the Cowboys have had a decent/good/great QB that I would not risk going through another 4,5 6 years trying to find another one...to me it's just not worth 2 1st rounders.

Besides, Romo would not work out in Atlanta...Romo likes dogs...

;)

zeromaster

Reaction score
I wonder what "exceedingly well" amounts to?

And re: Romo, there is no point in getting #1's from some other team, even if they're potentially very high picks, because (a) you can't predict the performance of the team offering them a couple of years down the road (and the ultimate worth of those picks), (b) you *can* predict the PR backlash from the fans of this team for making that deal, and (c) you are taking a giant step backwards trying to develop a college draft pick when you already had what you needed, and can't guarantee that the draft pick will pan out (Bartkowski, Leaf, Mirer, etc.)

Why people keep coming up with scenarios like that is mind-numbing.

I still think Jerry will wait until somewhere after the New England game to gauge Romo's true worth. At that point he'll have seen some of the best he's likely to see this year, and if Jerry can't make up his mind around that time, then we may have legitimate reason to worry. It could go to the end of the season, but then you'd likely have playoff seeding and similar items to deal with, and again the distraction tends to increase, as if it isn't bad enough already.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
5Stars;1675176 said:
Well, we have two 1st rounders this year, and if Romo were to bring us 2 1st rounders next year that would give us 3 1st rounders next year, but no QB.

But, no, if Romo does what I think he will do this season, you have to keep him! It's been a LONG time since the Cowboys have had a decent/good/great QB that I would not risk going through another 4,5 6 years trying to find another one...to me it's just not worth 2 1st rounders.

Besides, Romo would not work out in Atlanta...Romo likes dogs...

;)

heh, no i don't think i'd give him up either, *but* if atlanta tanks and say they did have a top 3 pick, that could be brohm. imagine if we drafted brohm and mcfadden and *then* eventually got to our pick. : )

again though - romo is something special and i'd not give him up for that either.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I really can't believe Jerry is dragging his feet on this. I heard Matt Mosely on 103.3 say that he talked to Tony Romo in person, and Tony and his management are a little bit baffled that Jerry hasn't put more effort into this. I can't help but feel Jerry is still caught up in his "pedigree" hangup, and if Tony Romo had been a Top 10 draft pick then this would have been done a long time ago.

The franchise tag does not prevent Tony from going else where. Many teams might be more than willing to give up two first round draft picks to grab a franchise QB (Cleveland gave up two first round draft picks for a guy who has never played a down in the NFL). Stick enough "poison pills" in the contract, and it might be extremely difficult for Dallas to match the contract. Or even if they do end up matching, it will cost Jerry more than if he would have just gotten the deal done this summer. Seattle had no intention of losing Steve Hutchinson to free agency when they lost him , but the Vikings found a way to structure a contract that was almost impossible for them to match. Paul Allen is the 5th richest man in the world, and they couldn't match it. The Seattle Seahawks retaliated by signing Burleson to contract that said he couldn't play more than 5 games in the state of Minnesota, which of course the Vikings couldn't match.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1675195 said:
I really can't believe Jerry is dragging his feet on this. I heard Matt Mosely on 103.3 say that he talked to Tony Romo in person, and Tony and his management are a little bit baffled that Jerry hasn't put more effort into this. I can't help but feel Jerry is still caught up in his "pedigree" hangup, and if Tony Romo had been a Top 10 draft pick then this would have been done a long time ago.

The franchise tag does not prevent Tony from going else where. Many teams might be more than willing to give up two first round draft picks to grab a franchise QB (Cleveland gave up two first round draft picks for a guy who has never played a down in the NFL). Stick enough "poison pills" in the contract, and it might be extremely difficult for Dallas to match the contract. Or even if they do end up matching, it will cost Jerry more than if he would have just gotten the deal done this summer. Seattle had no intention of losing Steve Hutchinson to free agency when they lost him, but the Vikings found a way to structure a contract that was almost impossible for them to match. Paul Allen is the 5th richest man in the world.

Placing the exclusive franchise tag on him means he can not even talk to other teams. With that tag on him he can only negotiate with Dallas

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1675195 said:

The franchise tag does not prevent Tony from going else where. Many teams might be more than willing to give up two first round draft picks to grab a franchise QB (Cleveland gave up two first round draft picks for a guy who has never played a down in the NFL). Stick enough "poison pills" in the contract, and it might be extremely difficult for Dallas to match the contract. Or even if they do end up matching, it will cost Jerry more than if he would have just gotten the deal done this summer. Seattle had no intention of losing Steve Hutchinson to free agency when they lost him, but the Vikings found a way to structure a contract that was almost impossible for them to match. Paul Allen is the 5th richest man in the world.

I thought that they lost Hutchinson as a RFA. Doesn't Franchise tag mean that you can't sign with another team?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1675202 said:
I thought that they lost Hutchinson as a RFA. Doesn't Franchise tag mean that you can't sign with another team?

Franchise tags do not prevent you from signing with another team, it just means that the original team has the right to match the offer on the table and they receive two first round draft picks if they choose not to.

Hutchinson was transitioned tagged, but the same types of "poison pills" that Minnesota used could be used on a franchised player. That loophole hasn't been closed yet, because it will take a new collective bargaining agreement to do so.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1675207 said:
Franchise tags do not prevent you from signing with another team, it just means that the original team has the right to match the offer on the table and they receive two first round draft picks if they choose not to.

Hutchinson was transitioned tagged, but the same types of "poison pills" that Minnesota used could be used on a franchised player. That loophole hasn't been closed yet, because it will take a new collective bargaining agreement to do so.

you do know there are 2 forms of the franchise tag right?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score

It depends if they use the exclusive Franchise tag or not.

If they use the exclusive tag you are only allowed to negotiate with your current team. If they use the non exclusive tag they can negotiate with any team

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

:eek:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Hutchinson was a "lost" cause to begin with!!

hairic

Reaction score
Steve Hutchinson got the transition tag. He wasn't lost in RFA.