ESPN Lenny P Update: Ed Reed signs 6-yr extension *probably* 15m in bonuses

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sn2.gif
Eric Edholm: (4:17 PM ET ) Just got word: Ed Reed signed a seven-year contract (six-year extension). Though the team didn't confirm it, the rumors were that the bonus was for more than $17 million.

Haven't confirmed it yet, but I'm looking...

If this is true, then we kinda know what it'll take to get Roy extended.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
It also pretty much means that "insider" story about a 2 for 2 trade has no legs.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Haven't confirmed it yet, but I'm looking...

If this is true, then we kinda know what it'll take to get Roy extended.

that's an insane amount of money. :) Hope we have the cap space available.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Now....who was it that called me crazy for suggesting Roy would command more than Adam Archuleta money way back when.....

With AA's deal, and this one, its almost a lock Roy will get more than AA.

Guess its not as stupid as people thought when I suggested it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
$17 mill bonus for a SAFETY?

Wow.

Sounds like a ton now. 3 years down the line though and it is going to look cheaper. and they'll still have Reed under contract for several years to come. I'm going to guess the deal is for 40 million total.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funxva said:
that's an insane amount of money. :) Hope we have the cap space available.
We're entering a new era with the amount of money available due to the salary cap. And with it supposedly going up to 109m next year, I think the 'boys will be just be fine.

and Vintage, you might've been correct about Roy collecting more than Archuleta. Difference: I think Roy will be worth it. :)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Now....who was it that called me crazy for suggesting Roy would command more than Adam Archuleta money way back when.....

Well, Roy is better than AA. So there is that too.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
and Vintage, you might've been correct about Roy collecting more than Archuleta. Difference: I think Roy will be worth it. :)

Really? Because from where I am looking at it, $17 million is a LOT of money to guarantee to a safety.

Regardless of who it is.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I dont think Roy is the type of person that is going to demand alot of money or leave the team. I think his contract will be a reasonable contract where he is worth every penny of it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vintage said:
Really? Because from where I am looking at it, $17 million is a LOT of money to guarantee to a safety.

Regardless of who it is.
It is a lot of money.

But like I said before. We're in a different era. The amount of money that's gonna be tossed about going forward is going to be eye-opening... Even the borderline/practice squad guy is going to start getting surprisingly large contracts.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
It is a lot of money.

But like I said before. We're in a different era. The amount of money that's gonna be tossed about going forward is going to be eye-opening... Even the borderline/practice squad guy is going to start getting surprisingly large contracts.

And how is this going to work? There are NFL owners (such as Synder) who will be able to afford it.

While other smaller market clubs wont be able to keep up with rising cost of players.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Vintage said:
And how is this going to work? There are NFL owners (such as Synder) who will be able to afford it.

While other smaller market clubs wont be able to keep up with rising cost of players.

Revenue sharing

Funxva

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
We're entering a new era with the amount of money available due to the salary cap. And with it supposedly going up to 109m next year, I think the 'boys will be just be fine.

Hahah! I never get tired of laughing at the ridiculous notion that AA is going to catch fire.

The only fire he will catch is from the afterburners that the offensive players have.

I predict by week 6 he will be know as "Toasty A's" (Derived from Tasty O's)

What.. ? That's not funny?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vintage said:

That's why there is a salary cap. Part of the whole fight regarding the CBA was so that the larger markets would share more of their revenue so that the smaller markets can continue to compete.

Honestly, I'm not worried about Dallas' ability to afford top salaries. Dallas is not a small market and JJ can and will go get revenue...

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Funxva said:
Hahah! I never get tired of laughing at the ridiculous notion that AA is going to catch fire.

The only fire he will catch is from the afterburners that the offensive players have.

I predict by week 6 he will be know as "Toasty A's" (Derived from Tasty O's)

What.. ? That's not funny?

Where did anyone say AA was going to catch fire?

Enlighten me.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Vintage said:

I do not know who called you crazy, but yeah RW will get more cash than AA.

Funxva

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Where did anyone say AA was going to catch fire?

Enlighten me.

Allow me to point you to www.extremeskins.com

I gar-un-tee that you can find no less than 3 threads at any given time proclaiming the greatness of AA