ESPN Lenny P Update: Ed Reed signs 6-yr extension *probably* 15m in bonuses

lspain1

Reaction score
NextGenBoys said:
I dont think Roy is the type of person that is going to demand alot of money or leave the team. I think his contract will be a reasonable contract where he is worth every penny of it.

NextGen, Roy is like all of us. He wants to paid according to his worth. If another safety has been paid that kind of money and Roy feels he is worth as much, then he WILL demand it to stay with the Cowboys. You would do it....I would do it....and he will do it.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hmm, $15 million guaranteed.....

I guess I would choke at a $15 million SB for a safety although this just says 15 million guaranteed.

Franchise tag might be the better option for Roy.

Playing devil's advocate (and its dangerous around here considering how badly Cowboys fans tend to overrate Williams).

Is a safety really worth that much money?
Does Williams make enough big plays to warrant a contract like that?
Is Williams enough of a team leader to warrant a contract of that size?

Discuss among yourselves.......:laugh1:

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
junk said:

I guess I would choke at a $15 million SB for a safety although this just says 15 million guaranteed.

Playing devil's advocate (and its dangerous around here considering how badly Cowboys fans tend to overrate Williams).

Ummm...yes. We would replace him with who? Who is to say Roy wont accept a deal with less guaranteed money? Roy would shine if a guy like Reed was next to him, now he has to focus on run stopping-One of the best in the league and coverage-just plain average. A true center fielder would make Roy's tackling, blitzing and nasty hits that much better.

Let me throw out a name with safeties who will be availible: Dwight Smith!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Sounds like a ton now. 3 years down the line though and it is going to look cheaper. and they'll still have Reed under contract for several years to come. I'm going to guess the deal is for 40 million total.

From earlier.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
$15 million's not bad. I was expecting something in the $18-$21 range, actually.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ravens lock up safety Reed with six-year extension

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=...bile&source=ESPN_Soccer_146x46_Gamecast_Flags

Four-year veteran safety Ed Reed, the league's defensive player of the year in 2004, has reached agreement with the Baltimore Ravens on a six-year contract extension that will carry through the 2012 season, team officials confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

The team's first-round choice in the 2002 draft, Reed was entering the final year of his original contract with the team, at a base salary of $1.983 million, and would have been eligible for unrestricted free agency without the extension. Reed, 27, has been seeking to upgrade his contract for more than a year.

Had the Ravens not been able to reach an extension with Reed by next spring, it is likely Baltimore would have designated the former University of Miami star a franchise player to limit his mobility. It is not known yet when the contract will be officially executed with the NFL, but Reed is expected to sign it this week, and Ravens officials said there is no chance the deal will not be completed.

While financial details were not yet available, the deal almost certainly will make Reed one of the highest paid safeties in the NFL and probably will include about $15 million in bonuses.

"It's one less thing for him to worry about," said general manager Ozzie Newsome. "He knows he is going to be here for the long-term now, and it part of the plans in the big picture, and he can devote his energies now to football matters and to being the playmaker he has always been for us."

If possible, Reed's importance to the Baltimore defense will be heightened this year, since he will be breaking in a new safety partner. Starting free safety Will Demps departed to the New York Giants as an unrestricted free agent and there are a number of candidates, all of them relatively inexperienced, vying for the job.

The 24th player selected overall in the 2004 draft, Reed became a starter as a rookie and has been a fixture in the Baltimore defense ever since. In four seasons, he has appeared in 58 games and started in all but one of those contests. Reed missed six games in 2005 with an ankle injury and recorded career lows in games played (10), tackles (37), interceptions (one) and passes defensed (12).

In his first three seasons, Reed averaged 89 tackles, seven interceptions and 16.3 passes defensed. Reed posted five or more interceptions in each of his first three seasons and led the NFL with nine interceptions in 2004. The Ravens expect him to return to health, and to his previous form, for 2006. Reed was selected to the Pro Bowl for the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

Although he is listed as a strong safety, and is effective playing close to the line of scrimmage, Reed also possesses great range and a big-play mindset. In his four seasons, he has 31 "big plays," the combination of takeaways and sacks.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2502163

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since the market is pretty much set with AA and Reed signing their new deals, I would just as soon JJ get the deal done with Roy. No need to put it off any more than we have to.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
To answer an earlier post, Roy Williams contract is up after the 2008 season.

I really dont know if the Cowboys will keep Roy. Dont get me wrong he is a good player, but they will be spending some good money on offense in the next 2 years if they expect to remain competitive.

I listened to an interview with Reed this afternoon and part of it he discussed how upset he was about the lack of consistency on the offensive side of the ball in Baltimore. Right now the Cowboys have what appears to be a solid offense, but at the same time some future players are needed to keep this team fairly younger and competitive on the offensive side of the ball.

Anguillidae

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
When is Roy's contract up?
Roy’s contract is up after this year. (He was originally signed through 2008 but has voided the last two years of his contract.)

danthefreakinman

Reaction score
junk said:

Williams doesn't have Reed's agility or his mindset of making plays on the ball first then the ballcarrier. Roy goes for the ballcarrier and might be hoping for a fumble afterwards. He is always around the ball though. He's very good at reading offenses. If he had a FS even as good as Will Demps back there with him, and he wasn't caught having to chase down receivers whose assignments KD missed, he would never look as bad as he did against the Skins in Week 2.

Do I think he has A+ cover skills? No. Do I think get deserves at least a B+? Yes. If I graduated from college with an A in everything but one subject (where I got a high B) I'd actually have a real job and wouldn't be here posting this. He deserves the money. I say he deserves Ed Reed's contract minus a couple bucks.

MONT17

Reaction score
Roy would be worth the MONEY if the front 7 couldnt tackle or if we had guys like Obogu and Kenyon starting!!! the Boys front 7 is so improved a player like ROY is really not worth 10+ million to sign!!!

Roy is a great player on the 03 Cowboys but just another "good guy" on a Super Bowl contender...

to me Roy is Thomas Everett... a great player on an awesome D!!!

I will say this the Ravens are smart... they signed the defensive player of the year for not much more than what the SKINs gave AA... and before the SKINs could set the market with SHAWN TAYLOR!!!

I bet Taylor will get 20 million!!!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Really? Because from where I am looking at it, $17 million is a LOT of money to guarantee to a safety.

Regardless of who it is.

is it?

over the last 2 years how much % wise has the overall cap gone up?
in that timeframe, who was the top paid safety then to compare to now and is the % all that close?

then you'll have a much better number to compare it too.