News: ESPN: Marinelli to Ware: 'Close but no cigar'

NewsBot

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas – Dallas Cowboys defensive-line coach Rod Marinelli has earned a reputation as a hard-driving, no-nonsense kind of coach. However, Marinelli has a sense of humor. In fact, it’s on display in defensive end DeMarcus Ware’s Valley Ranch locker. A cigar is taped to a piece of paper that was hung in Ware’s locker this week. Marinelli wrote a message that reads, “Close but no cigar,” and is signed, “Your loving coach.

Continue reading...

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Reminds me of the stuff Parcells would always do.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Someone that doesn't see our stars as untouchables, they're great players but not beyond a little prodding.

I agree with you. I believe Marinelli is such a great addition...
But my wonder is if he meant that comment, or is there more to what he was saying.

Thank you for your interjection though.

sbark

Reaction score
Hey Ware or Marinelli might make the next cover of my Cigar Afficianado mag...........

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Great motivation tactic, it seems to me. Ware strikes me as the kind of player to take this the right way.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
What is it missing, Kruddy?
I truly would like to know what you think.

I'm not kruddy... but it has been missing an attitude. An attitude that nobody is above coaching, or needing to be motivated.

What I'm talking about is a subtle thing, but like kruddy, I think we have been missing it for a while.

Fredd

Reaction score
I'm not kruddy... but it has been missing an attitude. An attitude that nobody is above coaching, or needing to be motivated.

What I'm talking about is a subtle thing, but like kruddy, I think we have been missing it for a while.

Agreed. the talent is there, a little extra prodding isn't going to hurt...this team needs motivation to realize the God-given talent that they have

kevm3

Reaction score
That is the kind of stuff you need from your coaching staff, which is why Marinelli has had the success he has had. You can't be afraid to get on the 'greats' of the team and even have them step it up to the next level. I love the attitude of challenging your players and doing so in a fashion that is not overly abrasive.