ESPN Matt Mosley Chat Wrap - 10/4/08... 7 'boys

2much2soon

Reaction score
Temo;2307143 said:
I don't know where that guy got his numbers, but (including the playoffs) Eli's past 10 games:

15 TDs, 5 INTs, 2165 yards, 6.7 Yards per attempt, INT rate: 1.5%

Romo:

16 TDs, 11 INTs, 2561 yards, 7.5 Yards per attempt, INT rate: 3.2%

So far this season:

Romo: 8 TDs, 4 INT, 1192 yards, 8.6 yards per attempt, INT rate: 2.9%, 99.0 Rating

Manning: 4 TDs, 1 INT, 765 yards, 7.1 yards per attempt, INT rate: 2.8%, 91.1 Rating

Of course, Romo has faced Cleveland, Philly, GB, and Wash... while Manning has played Wash, Stl, and the Bengals

Last Season:
Romo: 36 TDs, 19 INTs, 4211 yards, 8.1 yards per attempt, INT rate: 3.7%, 97.4 rating

Manning: 23 TDs, 20 INTs, 3336 yards, 6.3 yards per attempt, INT rate: 3.8%, 73.9 rating

Here's my point: Unless you consider the 4 game stretch (which was merely good, not great) at the end of last year for the playoffs for Manning; he has thrown for far fewer yards per attempt and fewer touchdowns, and throws a similar intercept rate compared to Romo.

The idea that Manning is an elite QB because he pulled together a good 4 game stretch for the playoffs is simply absurd.

Interesting they would be that far off, though it doesn't surprise me. There has always seemed to be a mini-industry of glorifying the Manning family, starting with the old man.
I became an NFL (Dallas fan) in the mid '70s. I never understood why Archie was so well thought of. He never made much of an impression on me at the time.
Nice guy?
Played hurt a lot?
Leader of a lot of real bad teams?

Yes to all questions?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2307155 said:

That was my initial reaction to his NFC East ranking until I realized that

1 Giants
2 Commanders
3 Cowboys
4 Eagles

was the actual standings and that Mosely was making a point.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Temo;2307274 said:
I don't see it. What I do see is a guy who is throwing fewer interceptions (per pass attempt), taking fewer sacks, and throwing for more yards than the previous year.

I'd suggest watching a game or two from last year and then watch some from this year. The differences are subtle, but once you see it a time or two you will see what I am talking about.

Kilyin

Reaction score
We'll see how it plays out as the season matures. I think Romo is a better QB when defenses know he is willing to run when nothing else is there. That doesn't take away from his ability to be a good pocket passer. It's just an added dimension that defenses have to respect.

Temo

Reaction score
Alexander;2307302 said:
I'd suggest watching a game or two from last year and then watch some from this year. The differences are subtle, but once you see it a time or two you will see what I am talking about.

I'm sorry I should clarify:

I don't see where it has negatively effected his game. He's taking fewer sacks and throwing better than he did last year. Whatever work he has done, there is no evidence to suggest that he has become a worse passer because of it.

kmd24

Reaction score
ahs4n;2307224 said:
He's only down 2.5 rushing attempts per game. I think the sample size has to be too small to say that he has not run enough.

Maybe...but 4 of his 6 rushes this year are kneel downs, and a fifth is the fumble in the end zone against Philly. So he's really only run once in four games.

I'm not masochistic enough to look up the number of kneel downs he had last year for comparison.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where is all this 'we don't have a good running game' stuff coming from?

We have a very good running game. In fact - we need to use it more.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge;2307617 said:
We have a very good running game. In fact - we need to use it more.
Just wait another 7 hours or so and it will be in full display.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;2307638 said:
Just wait another 7 hours or so and it will be in full display.

I think you're right - there wont be any 8 carries for Barber this week.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Sarge;2307668 said:

he should get far more than 8, and getting F Jones 6-10 carries should be a given every game as well...with the RB's and OL we have, there's really no reason we shouldnt have 25-30 running plays a game

and in case our knucklehead HC cant see it, our best defense now is keeping the other team offense the field...we should be striving for 34-35 minutes of TOP every game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge;2307668 said:
MBIII: 23-24
Felix: 8-10

That is 31-34 rushing attempts today. We could do half that many just in the 4th quarter alone.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;2307178 said:
He is not a running QB, that is correct. But he has always made his best plays on the move. Now he is content to just step up in the pocket and it is not always giving us the best results.
That's a very valid point .. especially considering he one of the best passers in the league on the move.

I would love to see his completion-interception stats for passes made in the pocket versus passes made on the move or outside the pocket.

-Reality