ESPN: McShay: Mock Draft 3/27

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
1. Oakland Raiders (2-14)

Projected pick: +JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
Needs: QB, OT, WR, DT, G
Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson is the best overall player in this year's class. But unless the Raiders trade WR Randy Moss or this pick, it looks like Johnson won't be the No. 1 pick. The Raiders have a glaring hole at quarterback and Russell has the exceptional physical tools to warrant this selection.

2. Detroit (3-13)

Projected pick: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
Needs: ILB, QB, S, CB, TE, OT, DE
The Lions' chances of trading out of this spot diminished when the Texans, who were interested in QB Brady Quinn, struck a deal with the Falcons for QB Matt Schaub. Drafting Quinn is still a possibility, but if stuck at No. 2, the team will likely choose to upgrade around the QB position. It's too high to take players at positions of more pressing need, such as ILB Patrick Willis, S LaRon Landry and CB Leon Hall. Instead, Thomas should be the pick. He's one of only a few good values at No. 2 overall and can be used to help solidify the offensive line.

3. Cleveland (4-12)

Projected pick: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
Needs: RB, CB, OT, DE, QB
From the sounds of it, Cleveland's coaches would go with the player who can make a more immediate impact (RB Adrian Peterson), but the team's front office wants to use this on a future franchise quarterback (Quinn). We all know which side will win that battle.

4. Tampa Bay (4-12)

Projected pick: +Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
Needs: DT, DE, S, WR, OT
The Bucs have other more pressing needs but it won't be easy for general manager Bruce Allen and coach Jon Gruden to pass on the draft's most dynamic offensive weapon.

5. Arizona (5-11)

Projected pick: +Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
Needs: OT, OLB, CB, DT, DE, TE, S, P
The Cardinals' first priority is OT Thomas. If he's off the board, they will likely look to trade down -- and they should have a dancing partner with Peterson still on the board. Finally, if stuck at No. 5, the team will have a tough internal battle between value (Peterson) and need (DE Gaines Adams). Value should always win out.

6. Washington (5-11)

Projected pick: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
Needs: DT, DE, G, S, WR
Adams is the perfect fit for a Commanders defense that set a team record for the fewest sacks in a season (19) in 2006. The 6-foot-5, 258-pound end ran the fastest 40 time of all the defensive linemen at the combine and also notched 29 career sacks at Clemson.

7. Minnesota (6-10)

Projected pick: +LaRon Landry, S, LSU
Needs: WR, DE, CB, TE, C/G, DT
CB Hall would be a strong consideration. The team could also reach for WR Ted Ginn Jr. or DE Jamaal Anderson. With that in mind, the Vikings would be wise to entertain any trade-down offers that would keep them in the top 20 and give them an extra pick or two later on. If they can't move, the Vikings should take Landry, one of the elite prospects in this year's class.

8. Atlanta (7-9)

(from Houston)
Projected pick: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
Needs: S, DE, OT, DT, RB
The Falcons would love for Landry to fall to them at No. 8, where they now pick following the Schaub trade. They also should strongly consider OT Levi Brown. However, don't be surprised if new head coach Bobby Petrino steers GM Rich McKay in the direction of Okoye, who played for Petrino at Louisville. The 19-year-old has bulked up to 300-plus pounds and recently ran the 40 in the 4.8-second range at an on-campus workout.

9. Miami (6-10)

Projected pick: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
Needs: OT, QB, DT, S
The Dolphins need help at offensive tackle and Brown is the only upper-echelon prospect at the position after Thomas. Other possibilities include Landry (S), Okoye (DT), Michigan's Hall (CB) and Alan Branch (NT).

10. Houston (6-10)

(from Atlanta)
Projected pick: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
Needs: CB, WR, OLB, S, DT
The Texans are no longer handcuffed by their need to find David Carr's replacement at quarterback. However, they still need to find playmakers at wide receiver, in the secondary and along the defensive line. Hall is the best value in this scenario and would be a significant upgrade at cornerback opposite Dunta Robinson.

11. San Francisco (7-9)

Projected pick: +Alan Branch, DT, Michigan
Needs: WR, OLB, DT/DE, S, OT, RB, ILB, C
Branch's stock is dropping due to concerns regarding his work ethic and conditioning. However, it will be awfully tough for the Niners to pass on a 323-pounder with his type of mobility.

12. Buffalo (7-9)

Projected pick: Patrick Willis, ILB, Mississippi
Needs: RB, CB, ILB, DT, TE
Willis has the workout numbers to match his production as a three-year starter in the SEC. The Bills could reach for RB Marshawn Lynch here but they'd be wise to go with Willis instead, and then draft a running back such as Ohio State's Antonio Pittman in Round 2.

13. St. Louis (8-8)

Projected pick: +Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
Needs: DT, DE, C, LB, CB, RB
The Rams will focus on defense early in the draft. With Okoye and Branch off the board, there isn't an ideal fit at defensive tackle. Taking Anderson would make a great deal of sense, as he has the size and agility to emerge as an impact full-time starter in the future. As a rookie, Anderson could rotate with newly acquired James Hall at the end spot opposite Leonard Little.

14. Carolina (8-8)

Projected pick: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State
Needs: S, ILB, TE, OT, DE
Posluszny has experience playing inside and outside linebacker, which makes him a good fit for a Panthers defense that needs depth and future starters at both spots. Posluszny's stock is back on the rise after his outstanding showing at Penn State's recent pro day.

15. Pittsburgh (8-8)

Projected pick: +Jarvis Moss, DE/OLB, Florida
Needs: OLB, CB, RB, DE, C
Moss is a bit raw but a great athlete. Moss is fluid enough to fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker and his frame is big enough to add bulk for when the Steelers eventually move to a 4-3 defensive scheme under new head coach Mike Tomlin.

16. Green Bay (8-8)

Projected pick: +Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
Needs: RB, WR, TE, S, DT, OLB, CB, G
The Packers are in desperate need of offensive playmakers. QB Brett Favre could help maximize Lynch's explosiveness and versatility if they're working in the same backfield in 2007.

17. Jacksonville (8-8)

Projected pick: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
Needs: S, DE, QB, WR, DT
The Jaguars could use this pick on a better pure pass-rusher or on a safety like Nelson, but Carriker is the better value in this scenario. At 296 pounds, Carriker has the size, strength, quickness and technique to develop into a quality every-down starter at the next level.

18. Cincinnati (8-8)

Projected pick: +Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State
Needs: CB, DT, OLB, DE, TE
Timmons didn't help his draft stock at the combine, where he was 2 inches shorter and two-tenths of a second slower in the 40 than expected. Still, Timmons is an outstanding athlete who flashed playmaking ability in his one season as a full-time starter at FSU. He also doesn't have any character issues, which is critical for the Bengals.

19. Tennessee (8-8)

Projected pick: +Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State
Needs: WR, DT, RB, CB, DE, G
The Titans would be elated if Ginn Jr. slipped to them at No. 19. Ginn Jr. has the speed to stretch the field vertically for QB Vince Young, who needs more weapons to work with on the perimeter. The Titans would benefit from Ginn Jr.'s world-class speed in the return game, as well. 20. N.Y. Giants (8-8)

Projected pick: Aaron Ross, CB/RS, Texas
Needs: OLB, CB, OT, WR, DT
Outside linebacker is a bigger need, but the Giants would be reaching a bit with Posluszny and Timmons off the board. The smart play would be to draft a top cornerback like Ross here, and then target a linebacker such as Oklahoma's Rufus Alexander later on Day 1.

21. Denver (9-7)

Projected pick: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue
Needs: DE, WR, S, DT, OT, CB
If the Broncos aren't able to trade up for one of the elite defensive ends, wide receivers or offensive tackles in this year's class, I think the wise move is to trade out of this pick. Spencer is a good player and proved he could disrupt as a senior (26.5 tackles for loss). However, the Broncos could trade back in the first round and still get Spencer -- or a player of his quality such as OT Joe Staley or WR Robert Meachem. Then they could use all the additional Day 1 picks to get in position for quality players such as DE Charles Johnson, WR Steve Smith, S Brandon Meriweather and OT Tony Ugoh.

22. Dallas (9-7)

Projected pick: +Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
Needs: OT, CB, WR, DE, C
Instead of reaching for OT Staley here, the Cowboys could get a much better value at cornerback or wide receiver. Revis' outstanding workout at Pitt's recent pro day solidified his spot in Round 1.

23. Kansas City (9-7)

Projected pick: +Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
Needs: WR, OT, DT, CB, DE
Jarrett's draft stock could significantly fluctuate depending on his speed at USC's pro day later this month. As it stands right now, Jarrett is one of the top four receivers in this class and he's enough of a playmaker to warrant the Chiefs' consideration at pick No. 23. If Kansas City doesn't go with a wide receiver, it could find a similar value at cornerback or it could reach a bit for OT Staley or DT Justin Harrell.

24. New England (12-4) (from Seattle)

Projected pick: +Jon Beason, LB, Miami
Needs: ILB, S, CB, OLB, RB, OT
Beason hasn't had a great postseason since tweaking his knee at the combine. Still, he's an underrated talent with the size, speed and instincts that the Patriots will be looking for in Tedy Bruschi's eventual replacement.

25. N.Y. Jets (10-6)

Projected pick: +Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
Needs: CB, TE, ROT, NT, OLB
Instead of using this pick on more pressing positions of need, the Jets could snatch the only elite talent in this year's weak crop of tight ends. Olsen would be a valuable weapon for Chad Pennington now and Kellen Clemens in the future. 26. Philadelphia (10-6)

Projected pick: Michael Griffin, S, Texas
Needs: ILB, S, CB, DE, RB, WR, QB
The Eagles have a more pressing need at inside linebacker but there's simply not a player of value available here. Griffin brings experience and versatility to the table after notching 250 tackles during his last two seasons at Texas.

27. New Orleans (10-6)

Projected pick: +Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas
Needs: CB, LB, DT, DE, TE, WR, G, QB
The Saints desperately need a youth influx at cornerback. Houston needs to become more aggressive in run support and his technique needs some polishing. However, he has the speed, agility and strength to hold up on an island versus some top NFL receivers.

28. New England (12-4)

Projected pick: Reggie Nelson, S, Florida
Griffin would be a better fit if he falls because he's more versatile than Nelson. Eric Weddle would also be a consideration, but I think Weddle's value is in the second- to third-round range. Nelson has very good range and playmaking potential as a center fielder-type free safety. Also remember that head coach Bill Belichick loves players from Florida because he has tremendous respect for coach Urban Meyer.

29. Baltimore (13-3)

Projected pick: Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
Needs: CB, OLB, OT, ILB, FB
The Ravens will look to target the best available player at cornerback, linebacker and offensive tackle. In this scenario, Staley is the pick. He's a fringe first-round talent with excellent feet and the frame to get bigger/stronger. With Jonathan Ogden threatening to retire, Staley immediately becomes the future at left tackle for the Ravens.

30. San Diego (14-2)

Projected pick: +Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
Needs: S, WR, ILB, NT, CB
The Chargers would be thrilled if the speedy Meachem fell to them at No. 30 overall. If Meachem is off the board, LSU's Dwayne Bowe would be another strong possibility. The team also could take the best available safety or linebacker.

31. Chicago (13-3)

Projected pick: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
Needs: DT, OLB, RB, TE, OT, G, S, WR
The Bears have several other positions of need they could use this pick to address, including defensive tackle and outside linebacker. However, they also have the luxury of capitalizing on a player who drops to them late in the first round. In this scenario, Bowe would be a steal. His stock has dropped a bit due to below-average 40 times run during the postseason. However, Bowe is a big, strong and athletic receiver who could emerge as a very good starter in the NFL.

32. Indianapolis (12-4)

Projected pick: Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee
Needs: OLB, DT, G, CB, RB
The Colts' biggest need is at outside linebacker after losing unrestricted free agent Cato June (Buccaneers). Beason is a possibility if he's available. Otherwise, the Colts would go with the better value here in Harrell and then address OLB later in the first day. Harrell is the type of quick and aggressive interior player who the Colts look for to fit their scheme.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN Insider.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If guys like Meachem, Houston, Bowe, and Nelson last until the late 20's, we ought to trade down a few spots.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1438203 said:
If guys like Meachem, Houston, Bowe, and Nelson last until the late 20's, we ought to trade down a few spots.

If we can find a suitable partner I would support that.

BLT

Reaction score
yea.. im always big on trading down.. i think a top CB and WR will still be avialable late in the 1st and a good 1 will be available late in the 2nd

BLT

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1438213 said:
That extra 4th never hurts.

an extra 4th would be ok.. but if we could some how trade with a team like the bucs or dolphins who have 2 2nd rounders for our 1st id be very happy

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1438203 said:
Right, but if they're all on the board and no one big slipped, who would be willing to trade up?

Wouldn't they all be saying, "We can wait cause guys like Meachem, Houston, Bowe, and Nelson will be there at our spot?"

Reaction score
Dallas will probably stay at 22 because it's a pretty low risk position, the guy taken there won't have to play immediately unless it's a OLB/DE.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Anyone seen any mocks on how long Sidney Rice might last? I haven't seen too many mocks where he goes in the 1st... just wondering if people think he may be there for our 2nd pick, because it seems like the consensus of most mocks is we're taking OL/CB.

Not that these guys doing mocks know for sure, but you know what I mean.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1438225 said:
Right, but if they're all on the board and no one big slipped, who would be willing to trade up?

Wouldn't they all be saying, "We can wait cause guys like Meachem, Houston, Bowe, and Nelson will be there at our spot?"
I don't disagree, but you never know. The Bills traded up for Losman.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BLT;1438217 said:
an extra 4th would be ok.. but if we could some how trade with a team like the bucs or dolphins who have 2 2nd rounders for our 1st id be very happy
So we would end up with 3 picks in the 2nd round? Hmmmmmmmm.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If we take Revis over Nelson I'll be pissed. Revis may be all that but he has just moved up the board. Can't we pick safer than that. Of course it's a mock but the thought of screwing around with our pick kills me. Trading down is fine if enough lateral moves are still there at positions of need.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think our biggest need going into this draft is CB/PR. I would be ok with WR/PR if the value at CB is not there. I really don't want Newman back there this year or Crayton. I would like to find someone that can contribute this year as a PR and take the place of either Jones or Reeves on the roster and move into starting Nickel next year with Glenn leaves. And is good enough to fill in for Henry when he gets hurt this year.

I know many on this board want a WR in the 1st. My thing is that this draft, is more deep with good WR than good CB. I think we can find a Good WR in the 2nd to sit behind our starting 3 and learn this year and be ready to go next year. I think going DB would have more of an impact this year and feel a need that we will have next year for sure.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;1438461 said:
I think our biggest need going into this draft is CB/PR. I would be ok with WR/PR if the value at CB is not there. I really don't want Newman back there this year or Crayton. I would like to find someone that can contribute this year as a PR and take the place of either Jones or Reeves on the roster and move into starting Nickel next year with Glenn leaves. And is good enough to fill in for Henry when he gets hurt this year.

I know many on this board want a WR in the 1st. My thing is that this draft, is more deep with good WR than good CB. I think we can find a Good WR in the 2nd to sit behind our starting 3 and learn this year and be ready to go next year. I think going DB would have more of an impact this year and feel a need that we will have next year for sure.

What's wrong with Newman? :confused:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
AtlCB;1438519 said:
What's wrong with Newman? :confused:

Nothing, except He is to valuable to be returning punts on a full time basis. I would rather have a rookie do that chore, and let Newman concentrate solely on being the best CB in the league.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;1438661 said:
Nothing, except He is to valuable to be returning punts on a full time basis. I would rather have a rookie do that chore, and let Newman concentrate solely on being the best CB in the league.
Makes sense. I still like the idea of using Newman in critical situations as a PR.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;1438269 said:
Anyone seen any mocks on how long Sidney Rice might last? I haven't seen too many mocks where he goes in the 1st... just wondering if people think he may be there for our 2nd pick, because it seems like the consensus of most mocks is we're taking OL/CB.

Not that these guys doing mocks know for sure, but you know what I mean.

Revis

Rice

I could live w/ that, in fact, I've been high on Revis for awhile now