WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Young QBs Debate: Roethlisberger
September 18, 2008 2:34 PM

nfl_u_bigben_412.jpg

Jason Bridge/US PRESSWIRE Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger owns a 5-2 record in the postseason.

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Is this even a question, Matt Mosley?

Before we examine the merits of this debate, let's start by saying Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers owns a Super Bowl ring and Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has yet to win one playoff game.

We could end this discussion right there.

But I won't let you off that easy, Matt.

It's obvious to anyone not blinded by those big blue stars in Dallas that Roethlisberger is the best young quarterback in the NFL. Whether it's stats, team success or rings, Romo is playing catch up to Big Ben in every way.

Lest we forget, Romo is two years older. But where was he during the first three years of his career?

While Roethlisberger was leading the 15-1 Steelers as a rookie in 2004, Romo was third string in Dallas behind 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde and Drew Henson. I'm sure you recall that particular season, Matt. You covered the Cowboys that year when a very young Roethlisberger came to town in Week 6 and handed the Cowboys a 24-20 loss at Texas Stadium.

Roethlisberger was a successful franchise quarterback from Day 1. Romo is a late bloomer that still has a ways to go. His 19 interceptions for Dallas last year were tied for the second-highest total in the NFL.

The less-hyped quarterback in Pittsburgh is more efficient. Roethlisberger's passer rating (104.1) in 2007 was behind only Tom Brady of the New England Patriots. In fact, three quarterbacks had triple-digit passer ratings last season and none of their names were Romo.

Matt, your guy plays with a dozen Pro Bowlers and has nothing to show for it. He shrinks in the biggest games, therefore the comparisons to clutch signal callers such as Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman are premature. Saying that he's more established than Roethlisberger, who is 5-2 in the postseason, is downright negligent.

The next postseason game Romo wins will be his first. So until then, Matt, I suggest you at least bring Eli Manning from the NFC East to get into this type of party.

This debate is reserved for rings only.

Young QBs Debate: Romo
September 18, 2008 2:20 PM

nfl_a_romo_412.jpg

AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez Tony Romo's ability to process information quickly makes him special.

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

With Tom Brady out for the season and Peyton Manning in the tank (by his standards), our friends at Scouts Inc. took on the task of naming their heir apparent(s). They looked at the under-30 crowd and quickly whittled it down to Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Philip Rivers and Eli Manning. I have no problem with this list, although I still hold out hope that Commanders quarterback Jason Campbell will enter the conversation at some point.

The esteemed panel ranked the quarterbacks in the following order: Big Ben, Eli, Cutler, Romo and Rivers. Now, I do have a big problem with that list (have I mentioned my immense respect for the panelists).

Anyway, AFC North blogging phenom James Walker sent me a text message saying he wanted to explain why Roethlisberger is better than Romo. I haven't seen his blog entry, but here's my rebuttal:

First of all, Manning, Romo and Cutler will all end up being better quarterbacks than Roethlisberger. Fortunately, my Steeler-loving boss is off today and won't be able to delete the previous sentence. For starters, Romo is on pace to be the highest-rated passer in the history of the league. He doesn't have the 1,500 attempts necessary to be eligible for the record books, but through 28 starts, Romo has a 97.6 career passer rating. Steve Young retired with a 96.8.

Roethlisberger has more of a body of work because he has played since his rookie season in 2004, and yes, he led the team to a Super Bowl title in 2005. For some of you, that's where the argument ends -- and that's probably fair. But I'm trying to project what type of quarterbacks these guys will be over the next several years.

On that Super Bowl team, Roethlisberger was asked to be a caretaker quarterback -- and there's no shame in that. But from Day 1 in the Cowboys' offense (six games into the 2006 season), Romo has been asked to win games. In my mind, he faces more pressure every time he goes out. Roethlisberger was able to rely on the tandem of Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker early in his career. Romo had a struggling Julius Jones and a green Marion Barber early in his career.

In 2006 (the motorcycle season), Big Ben led the world in interceptions (23) against only 18 touchdowns. He bounced back, though, and was more accurate than Romo in 2007. That said, he threw 116 fewer passes than Romo. It speaks to my argument that Romo is asked to do more than Roethlisberger.

Yes, Romo had the second-highest number of interceptions with 19 last season, but he also had 36 touchdowns (four more than Roethlisberger). We also keep hearing about Roethlisberger's mobility. He does a nice job of moving around in the pocket and using his strength to brush away defenders. But wait, wasn't he sacked 47 times last season? Yes, I know so-called mobile quarterbacks end up taking a lot of sacks, but that's still a staggering number. Jon Kitna was sacked a league-leading 51 times, in part, because he had a madman running the offense. I think Roethlisberger has a tendency to hold the ball too long, a quality that will keep Drew Bledsoe out of the Hall of Fame.

Romo's the Houdini of this bunch. His improvisational skills are unmatched by the other four finalists, but he's also deadly accurate for a guy who takes a lot of chances. Roethlisberger probably has the stronger arm, although Romo's no slouch in that area.

What separates Romo from the other quarterbacks is that he's able to process information so quickly. Scouts will tell you that he goes through his reads at an amazing rate, which matches up well with his quick-fire delivery. Of all the guys we've mentioned, Cutler has the biggest arm. He also has an amazing release and is very athletic. He'll eventually surpass Roethlisberger in future Scouts Inc. roundtables
listen.gif

If you held a gun to my head (some of you enjoy this image too much), I'd go with Romo, Manning, Roethlisberger, Cutler and Rivers at this very minute. I think Cutler has a chance to make the biggest move, though.

Manning and Roethlisberger have the ultimate scoreboards (Super Bowl rings), but it's too easy to make the argument on that basis. I encourage you to read James Walker's passionate defense of Big Ben.

Can't wait to see what you guys think. You've been a wonderful audience.
P.S. Vince, we'd love for you to join us in this conversation at some point.

Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning
Read comments or leave a comment

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
touche, Matt

holding what coaches did to each player, is kind of ridiculous, so what if Parcells let Romo develop at his own pace? and Ben wasn't exactly stellar in his defining Super Bowl, 23 QB rating game

Woods

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2269549 said:
touche, Matt

holding what coaches did to each player, is kind of ridiculous, so what if Parcells let Romo develop at his own pace? and Ben wasn't exactly stellar in his defining Super Bowl, 23 QB rating game

Just what I was thinking as well.

Ben "really" lit up that Super Bowl! He truly was a bus driver in that game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2269541 said:
It's obvious to anyone not blinded by those big blue stars in Dallas that Roethlisberger is the best young quarterback in the NFL. Whether it's stats ...
Really?

Career QB Rating:
Romo - 97.6
Roethlisberger - 93.5

Yards Per Game:
Romo - 249
Roethlisberger - 206

TDs Per Game:
Romo - 1.9
Roethlisberger - 1.5

300 Yard Games:
Romo - 12 (in 31 games)
Roethlisberger - 5 (in 58 games)

Sacks Per Game:
Romo - 1.4
Roethlisberger - 2.6

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
this is perfect....this is great...don't ever want Romo to lose his hunger...I want the doubters to scream loud and clear for everyone to hear.....I hope all the haters keep "hoping and wishing" that Romo will go away...or that the glass slipper will fall off.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'd take Cutler over Big Ben.

Big Ben is a good QB but he is the most overrated QB in the game.

Frozen700

Reaction score
wow my boy who is a steelers fan...we argue about this everyday.....he swears Ben is better than Romo....lol we always argue at the courts hies arguement "Ben has a ring, and its hard to tackle him, if he had dallas's O-line, hed be better or if he played for the Boys, wed go undefeated"

He also says his Lineman sucks, and that Alan Fancea last year would move out the way n try to get big ben killed

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
sago1;2269611 said:

Nice vid.

I love how people say its the talent around him.

I remember a darn good passer in Drew Bledsoe sinking this ship until Romo revived it with the same guys around him plus a Terry Glenn playing the best ball of his life.

He only has 28 starts as well.

Tony Romo is a playmaker and people need to just learn to love it because he will be doing it awhile.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
The only other emerging/young QB that I would even consider taking over Tony Romo is Jay Culter.

bigE79

Reaction score
Terence Newman700;2269646 said:
wow my boy who is a steelers fan...we argue about this everyday.....he swears Ben is better than Romo....lol we always argue at the courts hies arguement "Ben has a ring, and its hard to tackle him, if he had dallas's O-line, hed be better or if he played for the Boys, wed go undefeated"

He also says his Lineman sucks, and that Alan Fancea last year would move out the way n try to get big ben killed
you should ask your friend how much ben paid the refs for that ring:laugh1:

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Woods;2269563 said:
Just what I was thinking as well.

Ben "really" lit up that Super Bowl! He truly was a bus driver in that game.

That's what I was thinking when I read the "Ben's won a SB" arguement. He had a passer rating of 22.6 in that game! That should bar anyone from making the SB arguement for him. Playoff victories is another matter but he was God awful in the big game.

Ender

Reaction score
I think one reason why Romo doesn't get credit is because he was the only one of these QB's that wasn't drafted to be a franchise QB. Well he wasn't Drafted at all. Another reason is, well because he is the Cowboys QB.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2269621 said:
this is perfect....this is great...don't ever want Romo to lose his hunger...I want the doubters to scream loud and clear for everyone to hear.....I hope all the haters keep "hoping and wishing" that Romo will go away...or that the glass slipper will fall off.

I had a lot of reading those guys last year, but they have thrown in the towel. Only thing left is post-season success to shut everyone up.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I think it's somewhat proposterous (sp?) to rank Eli ahead of Romo in terms of long-term potential. You could say he's done "more" with the Super Bowl win. He certainly has. But, while this is a tired comparison, the day Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl didn't mean you would take him over Dan Marino.

I hate Jim Rome, but I think he has a good phrase in that there's a difference between not having won the big game and being unable to win the big game. If we threw every QB out with the bath water that started 0-2 in the playoffs, we'd be throwing away a lot of great ones.

But, at the end of the day, none of this really matters. Is Romo the third best QB in the league? Second best? Fifth best? Who gives a damn what anyone thinks. The bottom line is he's among the best, and I sure wouldn't trade him for anyone. Dude not only gives us a chance to win every game, he's capable of pulling some wins out of his butt at times.

I mean, we were an 8-8, 9-7 type team when we inserted him into the lineup. He's among the winningest QBs in the game now and the highest rated passer of all time. Not bad for about 23 games work.

sbark

Reaction score
hope it keeps a fire lit for Romo......

Romo's gotta realize there were QB's like Marino, the org. Manning, Fouts etc that were great QB's that didnt get a ring.

he's gotta take advantage of the team Jerry has constructed.....and put some notches up on the wall............

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2269669 said:
The only other emerging/young QB that I would even consider taking over Tony Romo is Jay Culter.

Romo
Cutler
Ben

Everyone else would struggle in Dallas imo...

Maybe Eli since he has a little wiggle but everyone else would get sacked to much...