ESPN Mosley and Walker: Young QBs Debate: Roethlisberger vs Romo

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The whole "So and so has a ring so he's better" argument is so freakin' DUMB it's not even funny.

So I guess Hamburgler is a better QB than Marino ever was since Marino never got a ring?

What about Trent Dilfer? He's got a ring, he must also be better than Marino ever was. :rolleyes:

Whoever the moron is that wrote the crap about Hamburgler needs to go to his car, open the trunk, lay his head on top of the weather stripping and have Ed Hochuli slam the trunk shut as hard as he can.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2270125 said:
Romo
Cutler
Ben

Everyone else would struggle in Dallas imo...

Maybe Eli since he has a little wiggle but everyone else would get sacked to much...

I disagree.

I think Eli Manning would be just fine in this offense.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Rack;2270170 said:
The whole "So and so has a ring so he's better" argument is so freakin' DUMB it's not even funny.

So I guess Hamburgler is a better QB than Marino ever was since Marino never got a ring?

What about Trent Dilfer? He's got a ring, he must also be better than Marino ever was. :rolleyes:

Whoever the moron is that wrote the crap about Hamburgler needs to go to his car, open the trunk, lay his head on top of the weather stripping and have Ed Hochuli slam the trunk shut as hard as he can.

My stance on the ring is this.

A ring, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily enhance a quarterback's legacy to all-time great status. A quarterback has to be great to begin with to the point where the ring is the finishing touch -- a la a Favre, Elway, or as it would have been for Marino if he ever won one.

Sure, any historically great QB without a ring is forever tarnished a tad. But Brad Johnson isn't an all-timer just because he has a ring.

Now, a quarterback with multiple rings, in my mind, changes things. Tom Brady could be a "bus driver," as he was early in his career, but when he drives that bus to three rings he is catapulted into the pantheon of great quarterbacks. Again, just my view.

For Peyton, the ring was the finishing touch. He was already a Hall of Famer with the gaudy stats, MVPs and Pro Bowl honors. For Eli, he's more in the Brad Johnson mold right now -- a serviceable guy who just happened to do a great job one year. He's far from the 'best in the game' argument. Now, his career is young, so that can change --- he may go off for 3,700 yards and 35 TDs this year, win another ring, etc.

JRid21

Reaction score
Rack;2270170 said:

I can't stand people who sit there and use the argument well he has a super bowl ring, especially when it comes to Marino. It takes a collected team effort to win the Superbowl, not just one person. Do people not realize Marino practically was the Dolphins for most of his career?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think what most are saying is you have to look at the total package. It's not just the engine, the top speed, the custom leather, or the wheels. It's everything.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
CATCH17;2269633 said:
Big Ben is a good QB but he is the most overrated QB in the game.

If we aren't counting Vick in this discussion, then I would have to put my money on McNabb.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I didn't realize there was even a question about how good Romo is.
The dude is the engine that drives this team and thus the most potent offense in the league. He makes plays when they need to be made and sets up everyone else on the offense. He overcomes huge penalty numbers and letdowns by the defense.
Kid has ice water in his veins and, after the Buffalo game last year, there is nothing he can't overcome as far as in-game situations.
I am beginning to believe he is nearing the point where he could win with a cast of no-name WRs, ala NE a few years ago.
He will widen the gap between himself and the others by the end of this season.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
RainMan;2270254 said:
My stance on the ring is this.

A ring, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily enhance a quarterback's legacy to all-time great status. A quarterback has to be great to begin with to the point where the ring is the finishing touch -- a la a Favre, Elway, or as it would have been for Marino if he ever won one.

Sure, any historically great QB without a ring is forever tarnished a tad. But Brad Johnson isn't an all-timer just because he has a ring.

Now, a quarterback with multiple rings, in my mind, changes things. Tom Brady could be a "bus driver," as he was early in his career, but when he drives that bus to three rings he is catapulted into the pantheon of great quarterbacks. Again, just my view.

For Peyton, the ring was the finishing touch. He was already a Hall of Famer with the gaudy stats, MVPs and Pro Bowl honors. For Eli, he's more in the Brad Johnson mold right now -- a serviceable guy who just happened to do a great job one year. He's far from the 'best in the game' argument. Now, his career is young, so that can change --- he may go off for 3,700 yards and 35 TDs this year, win another ring, etc.

Please post more. kthx.