ESPN Mosley Blog: Excerpts from upcoming Staubach, Aikman, and Romo Sun. interview

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sunday Countdown Live Preview

September 28, 2007 8:45 AM

Ed Werder has been kind enough to share excerpts from his upcoming TV piece on Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. Werder had sit-downs with Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman before talking to Tony.

"I look at Tony much differently than the guys that came before him because he has a great supporting cast around him and he's got a chance,'' Aikman said. "Having said that, I think he is the most talented player that has come through regardless of what's been around him since I retired."
Staubach said that Tony reminds him of someone -- himself. He's very fond of the 27-year-old quarterback, and has been known to schedule business trips around watching him play. The one thing he's warned Tony is not to let coaches stifle his instincts in the pocket. Staubach recalled a conversation he had with coach Tom Landry

"We were watching film my last year, and he said,
'Roger, someday you're going to learn.'"

"After one of those meetings, I said, 'Hey Coach, I'm about ready
to retire, I still play that way.'"
Staubach finished with a pretty strong statement.

"I'm an old guy, but there are things that he does that definitely I did as far as moving around, and he does it as well as anyone I've ever seen.'"
LINK

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have said the same Roger, I see some of you in Tony. Not Roger entire game but I see certain things in Tony that reminds me of Roger.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I really don't like comparisons at all but if you HAD to compare Tony to someone, you couldn't do better than Staubach (From a 'boys perspective, for sure).

I see it though, there are similarities, save one...Roger was an intense guy, not nearly laid back like Tony.

MS17

Reaction score
As a long-time Staubach fan, have to agree it's a good time to be a Cowboys fan.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Great......I bet Roger and Troy are about to agree with me.....

ROMO IS THE BEST OVERALL QB IN COWBOYS HISTORY!

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1675072 said:

Not yet and not for awhile. He is very good but far from being best overall QB in Cowboys' history.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score

Maybe he will be someday.

Aikman and Staubach would be among the first to congratulate Romo if he manages to pull it off.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FCBarca;1674788 said:
I really don't like comparisons at all but if you HAD to compare Tony to someone, you couldn't do better than Staubach (From a 'boys perspective, for sure).

I see it though, there are similarities, save one...Roger was an intense guy, not nearly laid back like Tony.

They had the same charisma though. You believed.

Dallas fans who grew up from little kids with Staubach never felt we would lose a game. When we did lose it was because we were robbed.

Staubach just wasn't beatable. You basically had to have the ball last to win.

Tony is growing into that. The second halves have been amazing. Those were good Bears and Dolphins defenses nearly in tears after giving up all those second half points and staring up watching a completed pass on what they thought was a sure sack.

The way defenses respect Romo is the biggest tale tale sign. It says, we game-planned this guy and he beat us anyway.

Frozen700

Reaction score
jterrell;1675130 said:
They had the same charisma though. You believed.

Dallas fans who grew up from little kids with Staubach never felt we would lose a game. When we did lose it was because we were robbed.

Staubach just wasn't beatable. You basically had to have the ball last to win.

Tony is growing into that. The second halves have been amazing. Those were good Bears and Dolphins defenses nearly in tears after giving up all those second half points and staring up watching a completed pass on what they thought was a sure sack.

The way defenses respect Romo is the biggest tale tale sign. It says, we game-planned this guy and he beat us anyway.

hell yea

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plays like Roger but his fun joking nature and free spirit remind me of Dandy Don.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Like I said before....Romo is a mixture of both of them....The accuracy of Aikman and the mobility of Staubach.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1675150 said:
Plays like Roger but his fun joking nature and free spirit remind me of Dandy Don.

absolutely... he has the charisma of Dandy Don and his game is like Roger's...

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score

Settle down now...youre talkin crazy...oh wait, you are crazy cowboy arent ya??

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
The thing that really attracted me to the Cowboys as a Kid was Roger... he was just amazing. No matter the score, No matter how much time was left, you just knew that Roger would lead them back and more often than not.. he did. I feel the same way about Romo. And as of right now.. Romo does not have the Defense that Roger did. That Doomsday D was something to behold.

sk0aL

Reaction score
Unfortunately Roger retired 3 years before I was born, so I never got to see him play. Everyone I talk to from my uncles to my girlfriend's dad says that when #12 was on the field, you could win every game.

I was listening to the Ticket yesterday morning and they said that Romo's passer rating on 3rd downs is something like 142.3. Ridiculous.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And now a comment from Cowboyblog!

*crickets*

Oh well, back to the thread!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
DallasEast;1675713 said:
And now a comment from Cowboyblog!

*crickets*

Oh well, back to the thread!

:lmao2:

Don't worry. He'll be back after the first game that Tony had a bad day in. Still spouting the same garbage that he was, no doubt.

JPostSam

Reaction score
i love the way romo has exploded, but DAMN! he doesn't even have a full season's worth of starts under his belt, and already we're comparing him to staubach and aikman! those guys won five super bowls, between them. can we at least wait until romo has one ring before we "get out the anointing oil," as a certain someone said?