ESPN Mosley: Johnson gives Cowboys best chance to lose

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
October 27, 2008 2:11 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

At age 40, Brad Johnson has had a very nice NFL career that includes a Super Bowl ring. But to have any chance of winning against the Giants on Sunday, the Cowboys need to return Johnson to the sideline.

Johnson
On Sunday, Dallas kept its season alive despite the fact that Johnson threw for 122 yards -- on 33 attempts. I'm still checking to see if a quarterback has ever thrown for fewer yards on that many attempts. Acting on a hunch, I discovered that former Bears quarterbackShane Matthews once went 24-of-39 for 139 yards, but more on that at a later date.

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, the Cowboys may be exploring other quarterbacking options as we speak. A team source told Werder that Johnson "probably" would remain the starter against the Giants, but the team is concerned about Johnson's obsession with the horizontal passing game.

In case you haven't noticed, T.O., Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin and Roy Williams haven't made much of an impact over the past two games. Yes, I know Williams caught a touchdown pass, but he has two catches for 10 yards now. As Ed points out, none of the Cowboys' downfield "threats" have a catch of 20 yards or more since Johnson took over.

The best thing you can say about Johnson -- and this is important -- is that he didn't turn the ball over against the Bucs. But the Cowboys needed the best defensive performance of the Wade Phillips era to win, 13-9.

This defense isn't going to hold Eli Manning and the Giants to nine points. The Cowboys need an x-factor -- and that might turn out to be Brooks Bollinger. If it were up to me, I'd be on the phone with former Cowboys quarterbacks coach David Lee trying to figure out the Dolphins' "Wildcat" formation. The Cowboys have to explore every option to have any hope of upsetting the Giants in the Meadowlands.

If you trot Johnson out there to face defensive end Justin Tuck and the rest of the Giants defense, you don't have much of a chance. Now, I'm anxious to hear what you guys think.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-4-187/Johnson-gives-Cowboys-best-chance-to-lose.html

Eddie

Reaction score
I like it better when the Cowboys play as the underdog. :starspin

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Eddie;2379103 said:
I like it better when the Cowboys play as the underdog. :starspin

Well you should be ecstatic this week.:D

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
On Sunday, Dallas kept its season alive despite the fact that Johnson threw for 122 yards -- on 33 attempts. I'm still checking to see if a quarterback has ever thrown for fewer yards on that many attempts.

I'm sure it's happened dozens or hundreds of times.

In 2002, Brett Favre threw for 114 yards on 33 attempts -- and won 10-0.

That same year, the guy Mosley supposedly check on, Shane Matthews, threw for 113 yards on 35 attempts.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
I think you have to give Bollinger a shot. He is more mobile, stronger arm, and is much younger (can take more hits). Does anyone know if he will get any reps this week?

The Giants will probably knock Brad out for the season if he plays. Noodle arm will be on IR.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The other starting quarterback Sunday, Jeff Garcia, once threw for 121 yards on 34 attempts. (And a few years ago, against us, he threw for 71 yards on 27 attempts.)

Drew Bledsoe (with Buffalo) had one game of 34 attempts for 104 yards and another of 33 for 107.

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's happened plenty of times.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2379179 said:
The other starting quarterback Sunday, Jeff Garcia, once threw for 121 yards on 34 attempts. (And a few years ago, against us, he threw for 71 yards on 27 attempts.)

Drew Bledsoe (with Buffalo) had one game of 34 attempts for 104 yards and another of 33 for 107.

Did these QBs win those games?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
BJ or Bollinger. It's like asking us if we'd rather die in a plane crash or highrise inferno.

wick

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2379179 said:

I'm sure you're right, but surely you'd agree that it's pretty near impossible to field a competent offense averaging less than four yards per attempt.

catskillthunder

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2379179 said:

Thats just it, these ESPN morons are so out of touch with reality it isint funny. When they arent making up some stupid story that usually turns out to be untrue, they're busy not being sufficent news reports. Total garbage.

Reaction score
I wonder what Bollinger thinks about all this talk of throwing him into the lion's den after being with the team just a few weeks,,, the expectations are so low that he's really got nothing to lose (except maybe a few teeth and a couple of cracked ribs :p: )

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Disturbed;2379169 said:
The Giants will probably knock Brad out for the season if he plays. Noodle arm will be on IR.

As if he'd come back next year...:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

God I hope not!!!!:scream: