ESPN Mosley: NFC East Chat Wrap... 8 'boys blurbs

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ryan (Brooklyn): I know today's going to be packed with the Burress gun story, but I want to know is there anyway the Giants could possibly keep Jacobs, Ward, Toomer, Pierce, and Webster who are all free agents? Or have we seen the last of Ward and Pierce (and I'll throw in Burress) in a Ginats uniform? Thanks.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Ryan, the Giants will do everything they can to sign Jacobs and Webster. I know they love Antonio Pierce, but there's a chance he could make a lot more money elsewhere. And we'll have to see how all this legal stuff shakes out. He didn't pick a great time to go out with Plax. Toomer's back if he's willing to give the local team a discount. Ward's probably gone. He's just been too good. Not enough money to go around.

Aaron (Washington DC): Matt, what is with the Commanders never throwing the ball vertically down the field? I know the WCO is predicated on a short passing game that relies on timing and rythym, but every offense has to throw deep sometimes to keep the D honest right? I can sit and watch the skins game and predict 60-70% of what play they will run on offense, if I can do that what do you think opposing D coordinator's can predict?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Aaron, it's a fair point. I think teams are able to focus most of their attention on Santana Moss. And when you only have one deep threat, it just makes you easier to defend. Antwaan Randle El is a nice player, but he's not a solid No. 2. wide receiver. The Skins had hoped their two second-rounders could make a difference. So far, they've pretty much whiffed, although it was nice to see Thomas get in the end zone.

Larry (Albany): Matt, Kevin Gilbride on the Giants does some pretty nice work, yet multiple times a game I find my self asking "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" Is it just me or does he have some really bone headed play calls? STOP RUNNING JACOBS OUT OF SHOTGUN!!!

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I think Gilbride does a good job with balancing everything. He came out and dominated the Skins in the passing game and then pounded the ball in the second half. It's pretty efficient. I have a hard time criticizng the O-coordinator on an 11-1 team.

Ryan (Brooklyn): I haven't heard anyone takl about potential playoff spot clinchings this week, but by my calculations don't the Giants clinch the division title and at least #2 seed and bye with a win over the Eagles? Can u go through any potential playoff spot clinchings in the NFC for us Matt?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Ryan, I'm cutting you off after this one. The Giants can win the division with a win over the Cowboys in two weeks. A win over the Eagles doesn't automatically get it done. Now if the Cows lose to the Steelers, we might have something to talk about.

MJ (Boston): Matt - do you think Dallas should be ranked higher than 8. I think they are better than both the Colts and Jets. If they beat Pitt, which I think they will, as they'll be tough for Pitt to match up with, how far will they move up.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: MJ: I have them at No. 8 right now in the ESPN.com power rankings, which will be released to the nation at 2 p.m. ET. I think the Cowboys have gotten back into contention with wins over the Commanders, 49ers and Seahawks. Nothing against them for winning those games (because they had to), but why should I move them ahead of the Colts and Jets based on those games? If they beat the Steelers, I could see them moving up to No. 4 or 5.

Todd Geraty (Wesley Chapel, FL): There's been a lot of talk/rumors in Philly about Bill Cowher replacing Reid. Granted it's mostly come from the fans. But I'm having a hard time understanding it. Both of them have very similar success and both of them had dry spells in their time with their teams. And Cowher didn't win the SB until the very end. Reid is pretty much vilified and Cowher is reverred. Your thoughts??

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I don't care who you are. After a decade with one team, people usually want to hear a new voice. Andy Reid has had a great run and there's no way Jeff Lurie's going to fire him after the season. And yes, the Cowher stuff is pie in the sky. If he hadn't won that Super Bowl, Steelers fans would've been talking about how they were burned out on him. He's not coming to Philly.

Maue New York: I feel Kevin Boss has exceeded expectations this season.... agreed?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Sort of a slow start, but yes, he's turned into a great red-zone threat. And he does a pretty nice job blocking at the point of attack in the running game. I'm a Boss guy from way back (Western Oregon).

Justin (Philly): How do you think D Mac plays this week againt a MUCH stiffer D in the Giants?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Justin, I think McNabb still has nightmares about the Justice game. The last game was very competitive (36-31) and McNabb made some big plays in the game. But I don't think the Eagles' receivers will be able to get a lot of separation against the Giants. And I see McNabb being sacked four times. Hard for me to predict the upset in this one. So I won't.

Reggie (Orlando): Matt, What's the latest news, if any, on the Pat and Kevin Williams possible suspensions? What do you believe will happen? If they're lost for four games can the Vikes still win the division? Thanks.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Reggie:

Vikes still win the division. As pathetic as that is.

Larry (Albany(NY)): With how Romo has played after sitting four games with his pinkie do you approve of the move? Do you think he would have brought something similar to the table for four weeks? What if the cowboys miss the playoffs? Is sitting Romo down the cause?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Larry, allow me to point you in the direction of Brady Quinn. He tried to play through a broken finger and now he's on the IR.

Romo wanted to gut it out, but the injury kept him from being effective. I think the Cowboys are back in the playoff hunt because they handled his injury the right way.

Brian (Cambridge, MA): Ryan is correct - if the Giants beat Philly this week, they clinch the division title. At worst they would finish 12-4, which is the best the Cowboys could finish if they win out. The 1st tiebreaker is head-to-head - assuming the Cowboys beat the Giants, that's a tie. The 2nd tiebreaker is division record - if the Giants beat the Eagles, they will be 5-0. The Cowboys already have 2 division losses, so the Giants win that tiebreak.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Good work, Ryan

Erich (CT): Although McNabb came off as an absolute idiot with his comments about overtime, I still think he gets treated far to harshly by the media. When are the Eagles going to give McNabb a legitimate WR to throw too? Once he gets one of those, that's going to be a tough team to beat.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Erich, that "legitimate" wide receiver left town in 2005. I don't think McNabb will be around long enough to watch another legit guy develop into a nice player -- DeSean Jackson. I agree that McNabb's not the only one at fault in this thing. But it's probably best if both sides go there own ways now. McNabb can reunite with Brad Childress in Minny.

Maue New York: Corey Webster gets no love.... and hes amazing... I say top 5 CB in the league.... am I nuts?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: He's made tremendous strides after getting benched last season. He gained a lot of confidence in last year's playoffs. And now he's having a Pro Bowl-type season. Give him his $10 mil signing bonus and move on down the road.

Ryan (Madtown): Mosley! You should go back to National coverage! Loved your stuff. Whose going to make it in besides the Giants. The rest seem to just keep beating each other.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Thanks, Ryan. Still heavily involved in national coverage, but I hear ya. The Titans are the real deal on the other side. I think it will come down to the Titans or the Steelers from the AFC. No one's really scaring the Giants right now in the NFC. The Bucs can't put up any points against the Giants and the Panthers would have the same reason. The surging Cowboys might have the best shot -- if they can even qualify for the playoffs. Big game at Texas Stadium coming up. Should tell us something.

Alex (Baltimore, MD): No way the offensive rookie of the year is not named Flacco or Ryan, right? Co-ROY, maybe?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Ryan

Joe (NYC): Do you really think Pierce will leave the Giants next year? He is the heart and soul of our defense and seems to love playing in new York more then anything. NO chance he gives us a discount?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Who's his agent again? Oh yeah. I think his last name is Rosenhaus. He's not into discounts. Drew does have a good relationship with the Giants -- even after the Shockey disaster. Pierce is indeed the heart and soul, but someone's going to be willing to PAY him. He'll have a decision to make.

Larry (Albany(NY)): Matt, I am finally starting to realize that Spagnolo may not be here next year... Very upsetting, do you see the Giants D functioning the same with out him? Anyone you know if in line to replace him?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: The Giants have a great D-line coach, He may up to the task. And Spagnuolo won't just leave for any job It will have to be the right fit. Some pretty good talent on that Cowboys' defense. :confused:

Dan (Atlantic City, NJ): Is the Cowboys' current spot in the wild card race a blessing in disguise, given that to grab a berth they're going to have play their best football against a tough schedule leading up to the playoffs?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Well, I guess you could say that. But right now, they're on the outside looking in. And the Falcons have a pretty favorable schedule the rest of the way.

chris(Commerce,Tx): Any update on the Ware and barber injuries? Do the Cows have a chance without them at 100% on sunday?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Ware will be fine. They're more worried about Barber -- as we reported on the NFC Beast blog earlier today. They'll both play. Not sure how effective Barber will be.

Ben (Minneapolis, MN): Matt, Bottom line it for us, pleaes--With Dallas back in contention and the NFC South on the rise, the Ravens next Sunday night (they're looking good and the 'Skins are winless on national tv/at night this year), an always tricky Philly hump to get over, and an offensive line looking awfully weak these days, will the 'Skins make it to the playoffs? I might have just answered my own question....

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Ben, if my memory's correct, the Skins' next four opponents have a combined record of 19-27-2. They still have a serious shot at this thing. And the Eagles have to come to their place.

Dan (DC): Will Zorn right the offensive ship for the Skins?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Never bet against the Z Man. But he has to make a few plays downfield. He can't be talking about how the Skins don't "adjust to the game's speed." Give me a break. It's the NFL. Why are you so surprised that the Giants are fast?
The Commanders have lost in smashmouth type games to the Giants, Steelers and Cowboys. The Ravens will smell blood in the water if Zorn keeps calling for those 8-yard hitches on third-and-10.

Jason (Scottsdale): Is there anybody that can challenge the Giants in the NFC? If not, is there anyone that can challenge them in the NFL?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Jason, I already answered that one.

Zac (MN): Matt, regarding your earlier comment on McNabb to Minnesota, do you think the Eagles just flat out release him (dependent on roster bonuses and etc.) or what would it take to trade for him (2nd or 3rd rounder or possibly more)?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Zac:

I think the Eagles will try to get something for McNabb. But if everyone assumes they're ready to part ways, they're aren't going to get fair market value. One quick correction: Giants LB Antonio Pierce isn't going to be unrestricted after this season. I know he's not happy with his contract, but the Giants don't have to deal with the prospect of losing him just yet.

rerun (su): if mcnabb is gone, is kolb the starter next year in Philly or will they look elsewhere?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Kolb would be the guy.

Scott (Winnipeg, MB, Canada): Matt, you were in Dallas for the whole TO-overdose thing and saw how the media circus was handled by Parcells (not well). How do you think Coughlin will handle what's sure to be an even bigger media circus in New York the next week or so?..

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Coughlin will do what he always does. He'll use this is an opportunity to drive home his team-first philosophy. No one player is bigger than the team. And he has plenty of examples to point to with Barber, Strahan, Shockey, Umenyiora. I don't remember Parcells handling the T.O. mess that poorly. He just sort of ignored the guy.

Gil (NYC): How do the 08 Giants compare to the 07 Pats? They're not putting up those big offensive stats, but they seem more well rounded. Aside from the stinker against Cleveland, they've dominated a pretty tough schedule, while the 08 Pats needed a couple lucky breaks to stay undefeated throughout the regular season.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Can we agree that this league is pretty awful right now? Not to take anything away from the Giants. They just keep mowing down opponents. But I can't remember the last time the league was this bad across the board. Maybe win the Ravens won the Super Bowl.

Giants and Titans have been great all season. Name me another elite team.

Vince (Chicago): What are the chances that the MVP goes to Tony Romo? The Cowboys look lost without him and he keeps plays alive. Do you think his 3 game absence hurt his chances?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: No chance, Vince. He may not even make the Pro Bowl. Brees, Warner, Manning

Kevin richmond va: Matt, In reading all this coverage on Plax and the shooting, the media has focused on Plax (rightly so) and his bad decisions but my question a bar that does not report the shooting a hospital that does not report the shooting a mayor who thinks prosecuting Plax to the fullest will send a message to the rest of the world about New York and it's commitment to it's gun laws. I don't know about New York but if that happened here the Liquor Board would have already suspended the license of the Bar and the hospital staff would have already been charged. Seems like New York City has more problems than just Plax had a gun! your thoughts.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: You raise a good point, Kevin. That's what the mayor's so mad about. At every level, you had folks trying to protect Burress. The hospital doesn't contact the police (even after Burress reportedly lied about his name to them) and the nightclub just cleaned things up and went on about its business. Burress has a wonderful criminal defense attorney. But that's all he has right now.

Brian (Meridian, MS): What are the chances that Drew Brees wins the MVP assuming he breaks the record and the Saints win out? They probably still won't go to the playoffs but will that help Drew's chances?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Warner would finish higher than Brees right now.

AJ: Matt - Singletary permanent HC for the Niners next yr?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Man, I hope so. I know the 27-year-old York kid loves him. I really hope he gets a shot at it. But if he doesn't get the job, the 49ers may go back to the guy they should've hired instead of Nolan, Jim Schwartz the DC in Tennessee.

Will J (Portland, OR): Matt, I know what Plax did was against the law and should be punished some how, but don't you think Mayor Bloomberg should be more worried about NYC's financial institutions, and not making a politicial statement just because the person happens to be famous?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: You really expected a politician to stay out of this? I think Bloomberg's made a huge deal out of illegal weapons and this was an opportunity to drive his point home. We're being naive to think the Mayor's just going to sit this one out and focus on the financial situation.

Maue New York: Matt Ryan deserves a pro bowl spot more than Brees

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Let's not go overboard, Maue.

Kirk (Fayetteville, AR): I've heard some talk lately of the Texans' D-Coordinater being on his way out. Any truth to that and is there anyone in particular that you can see filling that job?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Know the guy pretty well. And yes, he's on the hot seat.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Childress has the QB excuse on his side. He's had to try and get it down with Tarvaris Jackson, Bollinger, Frerotte and the list goes on. If he gets McNabb, things would get interesting. Anyone seen Berrian lately?

Wes (Atlanta): Peter King lists Matt Ryan as the #2 MVP canidate in the league right now. Given his success, can you argue with it if Warner keeps playing like he did vs. Philly and The aints miss the playoffs?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Peter's a friend. Great guy. But he's fallen head over heels for this kid. Matt Ryan has been phenomenal. But I wouldn't even put him ahead of Kerry Collins in the MVP race.

Mark (Boston): So you'd rather have Brandon Jacobs than Derrick Ward going forward if you were the Giants?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: uh yes

me (my house): Cant we directly correlate Portis' injuries problems with the Commanders' offensive problems. When he was healthy, they were winning. Now, he's the most banged up RB ever and they're losing.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I don't think it's that simple. If he's out there, he's expected to perform. The offensive line isn't performing at a high level right now and teams aren't respecting the pass. Makes it a lot easier to slow down the running game.

Chris (Broadview Heights, OH): What is your take on the constant Cowher to Cleveland rumors?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: not gonna happen.

gordon Vancouver Washington: matt - great blog, i hope my employer doesn't review my web activity during football season. with burress's latest issues and the giants numerous free agents or contract issues (including pierce's reported renegotiation aspirations), do you see the giants releasing burress in an attempt to resign or renegotiate, jacobs, webster, toomer, pierce?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Gordon, we love seeing your work production go down. I think the Giants are fed up with Burress. They'll probably put him on the non-football injury list and then go from there. He's been disrespectful throughout the season. Wouldn't shock me if they released the guy.

JIM, Birmingham: Most impressive Improvement? Miami or Atlanta?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: tie

Chris (Kitchener ON): If Barber can't play Sunday who is going to backup Choice?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Neon Deon Anderson

Chris(Dallas): Can't wait to hear you on Galloway today, if the cowboys lose sunday does that make it almost impossible to make the playoffs with out a lot of help from other teams?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Not impossible. I think 10-6 still gets it done for the final wild-card spot. But watch out for the Falcons. If they beat the Saints in New Orleans this Sunday, Cowboys fans should worry about them big-time. You guys have been great today. I've been asked to stop chatting now. Until next time...

JIM, Birmingham: The two wild-card teams in the NFC are going to be ______ and _______.......

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Bucs and Cows

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
tomson75;2458212 said:
The 'Cows', Matt? Seriously?

You're a POS.

That's the first thing that jumped out at me...

He got that crap from Randy Galloway... at least he should work his own material...

bobtheflob

Reaction score
tomson75;2458220 said:
Oh....and Manning? Really?

Never go 'full ******' Matt.

He never said Manning deserves to be in the Pro Bowl, just that he has a good chance of making it. I don't see anything wrong with that statement.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
bobtheflob;2458244 said:
He never said Manning deserves to be in the Pro Bowl, just that he has a good chance of making it. I don't see anything wrong with that statement.

He certainly suggests it. I see something very wrong with that statement.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Vince (Chicago): What are the chances that the MVP goes to Tony Romo? The Cowboys look lost without him and he keeps plays alive. Do you think his 3 game absence hurt his chances?

Matt Mosley: No chance, Vince. He may not even make the Pro Bowl. Brees, Warner, Manning
Brees has no shot at MVP.

No QB that lost more than 5 games ever won the award. No QB that didn't have at least a share of 1st place in his division ever won it either.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
percyhoward;2458260 said:
Brees has no shot at MVP.

No QB that lost more than 5 games ever won the award. No QB that didn't have at least a share of 1st place in his division ever won it either.
Might not at the Pro Bowl either. That was a terrible last 5 minutes of that TB game. I don't think Warner is a guarantee for the pro Bowl either. If he has another couple of bad games like he did against Phila. he and Brees will fight it out for the last spot. Romo and Manning to me are locks.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Matt Mosley: Ryan, I'm cutting you off after this one. The Giants can win the division with a win over the Cowboys in two weeks. A win over the Eagles doesn't automatically get it done. Now if the Cows lose to the Steelers, we might have something to talk about.

If they beat Philly they are 12-1, the worst they can finish is 12-4 and one of those 4 losses is an AFC team. The BEST we can finish is 12-4, and all 4 of our losses would be NFC Losses. I am pretty sure they clinch the NFC East with a win.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score

I would love to see him eat crow

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
dbair1967;2458365 said:
If they beat Philly they are 12-1, the worst they can finish is 12-4 and one of those 4 losses is an AFC team. The BEST we can finish is 12-4, and all 4 of our losses would be NFC Losses. I am pretty sure they clinch the NFC East with a win.

the conference record won't matter, they will have five wins in the division, most we could have would be 4.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
bootsy;2458265 said:
Might not at the Pro Bowl either. That was a terrible last 5 minutes of that TB game. I don't think Warner is a guarantee for the pro Bowl either. If he has another couple of bad games like he did against Phila. he and Brees will fight it out for the last spot. Romo and Manning to me are locks.
Unfortunately, what happens in the last two games of the season won't affect Pro Bowl voting. Only one more game before the voting ends.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
percyhoward;2458378 said:
Unfortunately, what happens in the last two games of the season won't affect Pro Bowl voting. Only one more game before the voting ends.
:bang2: Didn't mention anything about the last two games of the season. I mentioned the TB game for Brees and the Phila game for Warner. Again:bang2:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
What the hell Mosley.........the Cows???

What a total sell-out POS Mosley has become.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If Romo plays lights out and we beat Pittsburgh and the Giants Romo is going to be at the top of the MVP list real quick!