ESPN Mosley/Sando: Audibles: Cowboys vs San Francisco

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

San Francisco 49ers (3-7) at Dallas Cowboys (6-4) , 1 p.m. ET
Mike Singletary has San Francisco playing inspired football, so this one's not a given for the Cowboys. Tony Romo gave the Cowboys a huge lift in Washington last Sunday, but it was the defense that delivered the win.
sfo.gif
dal.gif

The Cowboys will put an extra defender in the box to slow down 49ers running back Frank Gore. Expect DeMarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff to feed off quarterback Shaun Hill's inexperience.

The 49ers have almost completely ignored their offensive line over the past few years, and there's a chance they get overwhelmed. On defense, the 49ers are pretty solid at linebacker. Patrick Willis is a tackling machine, and he's not the type of player who will shy away from Marion Barber. Singletary, the former Baylor University and Chicago Bears great, told me last season that Willis had a chance to be one of the best middle linebackers to ever play the game. That's a pretty lofty goal, but Willis has been sensational early in his career.

The Cowboys have lost rookie running back Felix Jones for the season because of ligament damage in his big toe, but Barber can handle 18 to 20 carries per game. Look for Jason Garrett to put Terrell Owens in a lot of pre-snap motion again this week. He has to have a breakout game at some point. Perhaps playing against his old team will do the trick. The 49ers simply don't have enough firepower on offense to win this game. And I think the Cowboys will be able to run on the 49ers in the second half. The Cowboys' Pro Bowl-laden offensive line finally put it together against the Commanders. I expect them to do it again Sunday.

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

San Francisco 49ers (3-7) at Dallas Cowboys (6-4), 1 p.m. ET
sfo.gif
dal.gif

The 49ers enter a brutal stretch with four of their next five games on the road and all four scheduled to start at 10 a.m. PT.

Interim coach Mike Singletary will have to earn the job for 2009. The schedule certainly isn't going to give it to him. A victory over the Cowboys -- in his home state, no less -- would dramatically upgrade Singletary's profile.

This is also a time for the 49ers to evaluate their recent drafts. Second-year receiver Jason Hill is getting an extended look. Rookie Chilo Rachal figures to play and possibly start at right guard. Third-year tight end Vernon Davis is showing signs of becoming more effective in the end zone. Second-year left tackle Joe Staley faces a tough matchup against Demarcus Ware.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
This could be the sack-fest we've all been waiting for. I'd love to see Ware get another 3 sack performance tomorrow.