ESPN Mosley: The skinny on Bollinger

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
October 28, 2008 11:47 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Before we begin talking about Cowboys backup quarterback Brooks Bollinger, let's learn how to pronounce his last name correctly. It's BALL-in-jer, not BOWL-in-jer.

With that out of the way, we should discuss Bollinger's chances of playing Sunday in the Meadowlands. At least one Dallas columnist thinks Bollinger should only enter the game against the Giants if the Cowboys fall behind by 10 points. But after watching Brad Johnson on Sunday, I'm convinced Bollinger should take over as the starter.

Yes, I know he has a career record of 2-8 that would likely fall to 2-9, but he's 12 years younger than the 40-year-old Johnson and he's capable of throwing the ball 20 yards downfield without a running start. At this point, Johnson is a sitting duck in the pocket. The Giants sacked Ben Roethlisberger five times Sunday -- and he's considered a mobile quarterback. Johnson is considered sedentary.

Last night, I called a member of the Cowboys coaching staff to discuss Bollinger's work on the scout team this season. Apparently Bollinger has been giving the defense a good look.

"When we needed someone to act like [Donovan] McNabb, Bollinger did an excellent job," said the assistant. "He can slide out of the pocket and make accurate throws to the backside. I don't know how that would translate in a game, but he can make all the throws in practice."

So what do you have to lose -- other than a game to the Giants? Surely the Cowboys don't believe that the 13 points they put up Sunday could win a game against Eli Manning and the Giants.

According to an Ed Werder report Monday, the Cowboys will explore all their options at the quarterback position -- and Bollinger seems to be the only alternative to Johnson. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has to be upset that offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson convinced him that Johnson could get the job done. He can get you through one game, but having to play him three consecutive weeks is something a team can't overcome. And if you think I'm being harsh, look at what the other teams in the division have at the backup spot.

Based on his performance last season, Washington's Todd Collins might be the best backup in the league. The Eagles have a second-round draft choice backing up McNabb in Kevin Kolb and the Giants brought in former first-round pick David Carr to back up Manning.

These three teams at least prepared for a worst-case scenario. The Cowboys gambled and lost. They're now heading into a key divisional game with no viable candidate at quarterback.

As I've said since Tony Romo went down with a broken pinkie, Bollinger gives this team the "best shot" at winning. Johnson's a good guy and he knows the offense as well as anyone. But his physical limitations prevent the Cowboys from using their offensive weapons. In a Johnson-led offense, T.O. might as well be playing fullback.

Bollinger led Wisconsin to a Rose Bowl victory in 2000 and is 3-0 in bowl games. I still go back and watch that Alamo Bowl victory from time to time. Bollinger also ran for 1,767 yards during his four years in Madison. Johnson's best season on the ground came in 1997, when he rumbled for 139 yards for the Vikings.

The Giants have 17 years of tape on Johnson. They'd have to scramble to find Bollinger's early days with the Jets. OK, I rest my case. Anxious to hear what you guys think.

Brooks Bollinger, Brad Johnson, Tony Romo, Kevin Kolb, Donovan McNabb, David Carr, Jerry Jones, Jason Garrett

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Very true. All NFC East teams have very capable backups to ride the ship if their #1 goes down. We are lacking in that department big time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No reason not to start him.

If Romo gets hurt again you'll be wishing you found out what you had in Bollinger.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The Giants sacked Ben Roethlisberger five times Sunday -- and he's considered a mobile quarterback.

Roethlisbledsoe has been holding the ball way too long this season.

WarC

Reaction score
if this guy comes in and plays for the Cowboys and makes a good showing for himself, ill be in football heaven.

Brooks Bollinger, one of the UW's best QBs, coming in to play the Giants for an injured Romo, a Wisconsin native? all on America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys, the team of the silver and blue and that beautiful star?!

Do us proud Brooks!​

:star:
WisconsinBadgers.gif

Don't go in there and throw three damn interceptions! :bang2:​

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
ajk23az;2380645 said:
Very true. All NFC East teams have very capable backups to ride the ship if their #1 goes down. We are lacking in that department big time.

Don't let those names fool you. Kolb has proved 0 in this league so I wouldn't consider him a capable quarterback. Panthers cut Carr because he has no heart. Last season he just wanted to collect a check and never expected Delhomme to get hurt. Collins was what Bollinger was before he got a chance to showcase his talent last season. He's a great backup. I wish the Cowboys had him. Probably the best in the league with Kerry Collins if you consider Collins a backup. Mosley makes convincing arguments for why Bollinger should get the start Sunday. I just still have it in the back of my mind the guy couldn't beat out Booty, Jackson or Ferrote in Minnie.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Mosley made sense to me here. At least with Bollinger there are options, everyone in the Giants secondary is going to jump those short outs and beg Johnson to try and beat them deep. There will be 8 men in the box all game, Marion is going to have a tough time running.

Bollinger may not know the offense as well, may not read blitzes and stunts as well as Johnson but at least the ball will get down 20 yards and on the WR 50% of the time if he gets it off quick enough. Just knowing that Owens, RW, Crayton and Miles can be utilized has to keep the Giants D somewhat honest.

You guys might think I'm Crazy but I think we should play alot of 3 wide with 1 TE sets early. Hurry up early to, especially if Brooks starts. Spread the Giants out and get some quick passes going early. Then back to the 2 TE set and get some more quickies out.

Only way we are going to get the running game going. Eventually they will have to loosen up the box and they won't know if we are running or passing in that 2 TE set. Once we can gash them for some runs we can then run some play action, once again changing it up so that Brooks isn't being dictated too.

We all know our D is going to have to hold the Giants to no more than 14 and we need something special happening on ST's, good luck to both. Especially a team that knows us so well, Wade calling the plays or not. So basically we need to get the Giants off the line of scrimmage cause they'll be there first thing. We need to gash them in the air early and hold them to at most FG's on defense early even if we are going 3 and out on offense trying to throw. We need a trick play on offense also.

If we get an early run that nets us 5 yard and up I say we run the Crayton reverse and run a trick pass down the field up in the air to RW. At worst it's up in the air for RW to out jump his coverage if Crayton is inaccurate. Crayton did plays some QB in the past nonetheless. The Giants will not allow us to play the way we did with Tampa Bay. They are going to want to get a head early and beg us to pass. So, lets pass before they force us.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ajk23az;2380645 said:

David Carr is capable? When did that happen?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2380716 said:
David Carr is capable? When did that happen?

David Carr is not a bad guy at all to have on the bench.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2380640 said:
he's 12 years younger than the 40-year-old Johnson and he's capable of throwing the ball 20 yards downfield without a running start.
:lmao2:

I nearly lost my drink when I read this :)

-Reality

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
I agree Carr is a very serviceable quarterback I think. At least very much better than the options we have.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2380640 said:
October 28, 2008 11:47 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Before we begin talking about Cowboys backup quarterback Brooks Bollinger, let's learn how to pronounce his last name correctly. It's BALL-in-jer, not BOWL-in-jer.

With that out of the way, we should discuss Bollinger's chances of playing Sunday in the Meadowlands. At least one Dallas columnist thinks Bollinger should only enter the game against the Giants if the Cowboys fall behind by 10 points. But after watching Brad Johnson on Sunday, I'm convinced Bollinger should take over as the starter.

Yes, I know he has a career record of 2-8 that would likely fall to 2-9, but he's 12 years younger than the 40-year-old Johnson and he's capable of throwing the ball 20 yards downfield without a running start. At this point, Johnson is a sitting duck in the pocket. The Giants sacked Ben Roethlisberger five times Sunday -- and he's considered a mobile quarterback. Johnson is considered sedentary.

Last night, I called a member of the Cowboys coaching staff to discuss Bollinger's work on the scout team this season. Apparently Bollinger has been giving the defense a good look.

"When we needed someone to act like [Donovan] McNabb, Bollinger did an excellent job," said the assistant. "He can slide out of the pocket and make accurate throws to the backside. I don't know how that would translate in a game, but he can make all the throws in practice."

So what do you have to lose -- other than a game to the Giants? Surely the Cowboys don't believe that the 13 points they put up Sunday could win a game against Eli Manning and the Giants.

According to an Ed Werder report Monday, the Cowboys will explore all their options at the quarterback position -- and Bollinger seems to be the only alternative to Johnson. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has to be upset that offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson convinced him that Johnson could get the job done. He can get you through one game, but having to play him three consecutive weeks is something a team can't overcome. And if you think I'm being harsh, look at what the other teams in the division have at the backup spot.

Based on his performance last season, Washington's Todd Collins might be the best backup in the league. The Eagles have a second-round draft choice backing up McNabb in Kevin Kolb and the Giants brought in former first-round pick David Carr to back up Manning.

These three teams at least prepared for a worst-case scenario. The Cowboys gambled and lost. They're now heading into a key divisional game with no viable candidate at quarterback.

As I've said since Tony Romo went down with a broken pinkie, Bollinger gives this team the "best shot" at winning. Johnson's a good guy and he knows the offense as well as anyone. But his physical limitations prevent the Cowboys from using their offensive weapons. In a Johnson-led offense, T.O. might as well be playing fullback.

Bollinger led Wisconsin to a Rose Bowl victory in 2000 and is 3-0 in bowl games. I still go back and watch that Alamo Bowl victory from time to time. Bollinger also ran for 1,767 yards during his four years in Madison. Johnson's best season on the ground came in 1997, when he rumbled for 139 yards for the Vikings.

The Giants have 17 years of tape on Johnson. They'd have to scramble to find Bollinger's early days with the Jets. OK, I rest my case. Anxious to hear what you guys think.

Brooks Bollinger, Brad Johnson, Tony Romo, Kevin Kolb, Donovan McNabb, David Carr, Jerry Jones, Jason Garrett

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted

Red isn't fairing so well! He missed on Brad Johnson and his play-calling as been god awful. And.... fans want Garrett to take over for Philips. :lmao2:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2380743 said:
Red isn't fairing so well! He missed on Brad Johnson and his play-calling as been god awful. And.... fans want Garrett to take over for Philips. :lmao2:
I want the Giants defensive coordinator...Steve Spagnolu. Jason has been given more toys than any other offensiver coordinator in football...not a good sign that he cannot get a got d*m first down with all that at his disposal.

Temo

Reaction score
Why the hell are Cowboys assistants talking to Mosley?

Reaction score
bbailey423;2380746 said:
I want the Giants defensive coordinator...Steve Spagnolu. Jason has been given more toys than any other offensiver coordinator in football...not a good sign that he cannot get a got d*m first down with all that at his disposal.

Anybody but Garrett! You have Romo(When Healthy), Barber, Owens, Witten, Roy Williams, Felix Jones(When Healthy) Bennett and the list goes on and Garrett still get them the ball.

BTW, when Felix was healthy, Garrett forgot to get him touches in a game. I think it was the Skins game.

igtmfo

Reaction score
I'm tired of Brad career vs. Bollinger career stats for comparison.

I'm even tired of Brad last-ten-games vs. Bollinger last-ten-games for comparison.

Let's compare Brad THIS YEAR vs. Bollinger career.

Brad's last ten games take him from a somewhat viable QB in Minny at age 38, to a geriatric 40 year old nowadays ... a big jump. He's sure to have lost some athleticism in the two-year interim. And it declines even quicker for these old NFL dudes every year they stay in the league. Actually Brad was pretty good in 2005 until the decline in 2006.

Bollinger, on the other hand, hasn't lost skills due to age anyway, you wouldn't think ...

Therefore, let me present, Brad this year vs. Bollinger career, courtesy stats at NFL.com

Brad (this year):
5.3 yards per attempt
60.3 QB rating
3 sacks per game
Rushing yards: are you kidding?
2 TD passes, 3 Int

Bollinger (career):
6.3 yards per attempt
75.2 QB rating
2.4 sacks per game
Rushing yards: 3.8 per attempt
8 TD passes, 8 Int

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ajk23az;2380645 said:

David Carr is not a capable backup, he failed in that role in Atlanta, but your point still stands

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's not so much the lack of arm strength that bothers me about Johnson it's the fact that he has shown horrible short route accuracy as well. It's one thing to be a dink and dunk QB, but it's just sad when you're a dink and dunk QB who can't even dink and dunk. Brad Johnson brings nothing to the table. No arm strength, no accuracy, a negative TD:INT ratio, no mobility, no youth, no long term upside. There's not a single attribute that I consider NFL quality right now. That's why the Cowboys have the worst backup QB situation in the NFC East, if not the NFL.

silver

Reaction score
Mosley is preaching to the choir. But we know Brad will start. At least the Cowboys' brass is thinking about a switch (at least IMHO). This is a damn if you do, damn if you don't situation for Wade. If he makes the switch now and we lose he'll get criticized for benching his starter who, as bad as he played, won his last start. So he's going to get criticized regardless who starts. Good thing he's thinking about switching to Bollinger if Brad continues with his crappy q'backing.