ESPN Mosley: The skinny on Bollinger

Wrangler87

Reaction score
rocyaice;2380714 said:
Don't let those names fool you. Kolb has proved 0 in this league so I wouldn't consider him a capable quarterback. Panthers cut Carr because he has no heart. Last season he just wanted to collect a check and never expected Delhomme to get hurt. Collins was what Bollinger was before he got a chance to showcase his talent last season. He's a great backup. I wish the Cowboys had him. Probably the best in the league with Kerry Collins if you consider Collins a backup. Mosley makes convincing arguments for why Bollinger should get the start Sunday. I just still have it in the back of my mind the guy couldn't beat out Booty, Jackson or Ferrote in Minnie.

Jackson wasn't going anywhere.

Frerrote and the Head Coach have a history together.

Josh Booty is much cheaper than Bollinger, when has five seasons in the league, which requires more minimum salary.

aquavita

Reaction score
Temo;2380750 said:
Why the hell are Cowboys assistants talking to Mosley?

They're not. This is an old 'reporter' trick. Just say whatever the hell you want and cite 'inside sources'.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Jerry was on the Musers this morning and referenced a game in the early 90's where the Cowboys won against a good Commanders team by not turning the ball over and winning a field position game and "Steve Beurlein basically threw the ball out of bounds every pass".

The Cowboys are going to start off trying to win a game like that with Brad Johnson, but I bet we see Bollinger if the Cowboys get down by more than 10 and actually need the QB to make some plays.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2380818 said:
Jerry was on the Musers this morning and referenced a game in the early 90's where the Cowboys basically won against a good Commanders team by basically not turning the ball over and winning a field position game where "Steve Beurlein basically threw the ball out of bounds every pass".

The Cowboys are going to start off trying to win a game like that, but I bet we see Bollinger if the Cowboys get down by more than 10 and actually need the QB to make some plays.

good point, I can see Brad starting, only to give way to Brooksie

lspain1

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2380822 said:
good point, I can see Brad starting, only to give way to Brooksie

If this happens, I would consider it another coaching failure. You can not assume our defense is going to limit the NYFG to a low scoring game. We need to score some points to win this game. Either Brad Johnson can do it....or he can't. Waiting until the middle of the game and inserting someone else is a recipe for disaster. I remember when we inserted a guy named Romo in the middle of a game against the Giants. He showed flashes but still lost the game. He did much better as the full time starter the following week.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Temo;2380750 said:
Why the hell are Cowboys assistants talking to Mosley?

aquavita;2380816 said:
They're not. This is an old 'reporter' trick. Just say whatever the hell you want and cite 'inside sources'.

Agreed that it's a reporter's trick, and an annoying one at that. I know that because I am on the phone right now with a Cowboys assistant coach right now, and he's saying "Mosley is lying, we're not allowed to talk to anyone". :D

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2380668 said:
Roethlisbledsoe has been holding the ball way too long this season.

Exactly. He is the king of holding the ball. He was holding it way too long on some of the Giants' sacks, too.

The Giants will not play like Tampa Bay. They are going to come after us, so Johnson may have some quick slants and crossing routes this week. The ball will be coming out.

I just don't think you want the quarterback to lose this game this week. In my opinion, you beat them with defense and special teams. In other words, you beat them with at their own game.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2380785 said:
David Carr is not a capable backup, he failed in that role in Atlanta, but your point still stands
Carr is lightyears better than Johnson. No QB could've succeeeded in Houston with the beating he was taking. He's not an all-star, but sometimes he'll pull out that good game.

Are you thinking of Joy Harrington? As bad as he is, he at least had the occasional game where he played well.

With either of those guys, you could possibly get their good game and beat a team like NYG. I don't see that Johnson is physically able to have a really good game. He looks completely spent.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Start Bollinger and punch the Giants right in the mouth. I don't want to see scared, conservative play calling. The Giants are simply too good for that.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Very well put Mosley! Now please for the love of whoever start bollinger over johnson. i dont care if we get blownout, at least with bollinger we have a potential to do somethin. with johnson the results will be predictable!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Double Trouble;2381055 said:
Carr is lightyears better than Johnson. No QB could've succeeeded in Houston with the beating he was taking. He's not an all-star, but sometimes he'll pull out that good game.

Are you thinking of Joy Harrington? As bad as he is, he at least had the occasional game where he played well.

With either of those guys, you could possibly get their good game and beat a team like NYG. I don't see that Johnson is physically able to have a really good game. He looks completely spent.

You must've missed his stint in Carolina last year. HE was so bad they went to Matt Moore who we cut(wish we didn't do that even at the time). Carr mentally is screwed. He's like the Shawn Bradley of football. He doesn't have the heart for the game. Maybe the physical aspect but he doesn't have the heart. Just google his time up in Carolina. Some embarrassing stuff. Atleast I know Brad loves football and wants to win.

Jackson wasn't going anywhere.

Frerrote and the Head Coach have a history together.

Josh Booty is much cheaper than Bollinger, when has five seasons in the league, which requires more minimum salary.

Well its not about Jackson going somewhere if Bollinger stayed. Vikings were just looking for someone to keep the defense honest. They didn't care who it was. IF it was up to them they'd run every play with Taylor and Peterson but they can't since the defense knows their going to run. They cut Bollinger because simply he was the worst on the team. Not worse than Booty i'd imagine but atleast with him he has potential on his side.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
lspain1;2380901 said:
If this happens, I would consider it another coaching failure. You can not assume our defense is going to limit the NYFG to a low scoring game. We need to score some points to win this game. Either Brad Johnson can do it....or he can't. Waiting until the middle of the game and inserting someone else is a recipe for disaster. I remember when we inserted a guy named Romo in the middle of a game against the Giants. He showed flashes but still lost the game. He did much better as the full time starter the following week.

I agree

I can just see Dallas doing that though

Double Trouble;2381055 said:

didn't Carr go to Atlanta last year?

nvm, he went to Carolina, I was thinking about Joey Harrington

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"When we needed someone to act like [Donovan] McNabb, Bollinger did an excellent job," said the assistant. Does this mean he PO TO? :laugh2:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2380640 said:
October 28, 2008 11:47 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Before we begin talking about Cowboys backup quarterback Brooks Bollinger, let's learn how to pronounce his last name correctly. It's BALL-in-jer, not BOWL-in-jer.

With that out of the way, we should discuss Bollinger's chances of playing Sunday in the Meadowlands. At least one Dallas columnist thinks Bollinger should only enter the game against the Giants if the Cowboys fall behind by 10 points. But after watching Brad Johnson on Sunday, I'm convinced Bollinger should take over as the starter.

Yes, I know he has a career record of 2-8 that would likely fall to 2-9, but he's 12 years younger than the 40-year-old Johnson and he's capable of throwing the ball 20 yards downfield without a running start. At this point, Johnson is a sitting duck in the pocket. The Giants sacked Ben Roethlisberger five times Sunday -- and he's considered a mobile quarterback. Johnson is considered sedentary.

Last night, I called a member of the Cowboys coaching staff to discuss Bollinger's work on the scout team this season. Apparently Bollinger has been giving the defense a good look.

".....

i about hurt myself laughing there.

LILLURCH

Benched
Reaction score
The "Skinny" on Brooks.................... He sucks or else Jason & Wade would have him starting against the Giants. I think i'll trust wade wilson & jason garret on this one over matt mosley.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ajk23az;2380645 said:
Very true. All NFC East teams have very capable backups to ride the ship if their #1 goes down. We are lacking in that department big time.

maybe that changes when Bollinger plays

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2380818 said:
Jerry was on the Musers this morning and referenced a game in the early 90's where the Cowboys won against a good Commanders team by not turning the ball over and winning a field position game and "Steve Beurlein basically threw the ball out of bounds every pass".

The Cowboys are going to start off trying to win a game like that with Brad Johnson, but I bet we see Bollinger if the Cowboys get down by more than 10 and actually need the QB to make some plays.

That's my view as well. I don't know if it's down my ten or just Johnson not doing anything.

I hope Garrett is working on some max protects or they may not have an option of putting Bollinger in the game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2380818 said:
Bollinger
69.7 career rating as a starter
90.0 when he comes off the bench