ESPN Mosley/Walker: Blogger debate: Pittsburgh vs. Dallas

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
December 5, 2008 10:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley and James Walker

In advance of the Cowboys-Steelers game Sunday at Heinz Field, NFC Beast blogger Matt Mosley and AFC North blogger James Walker agreed to discuss what this December showdown means to the league and the world in general. The Cowboys (8-4) could take a major step toward solidifying an NFC wild-card spot, while the Steelers (9-3) are fighting for a second consecutive division title and a first-round bye.

Mosley and Walker are both en route to Pittsburgh to cover what should be the best game of the weekend. Please enjoy the following discussion:

Both quarterbacks are banged up, but how will each fare in this marquee matchup?

James Walker: Ben Roethlisberger had a minor tweak to his right knee at the end of practice Wednesday, but the Steelers are saying it's no big deal. The larger concern in such a big game is Roethlisberger's shoulder, which has been an issue all season. The injury has gradually taken the deep-passing game out of Pittsburgh's offense. In the past three games, Roethlisberger's longest completion is just 37 yards. Most of his throws of late have been underneath to receiver Hines Ward and tight end Heath Miller.

Matt Mosley: Tony Romo is planning to play without a splint on his right pinkie for the first time in a month. At first, he felt some pain when he had to drive the ball on deep out patterns, but he's pretty comfortable at this point. He went back to his favorite target, Jason Witten, last Thursday against the Seahawks. And contrary to what No. 81 might say, Witten's the most important piece of the passing game. But since we brought him up, it's a great sign that Terrell Owens has made a significant impact in the past two wins. The Steelers will use press coverage and have a safety over the top in order to slow down T.O. The Cowboys will counter with some pre-snap motion, and this could also be a breakout game for Roy Williams. With Marion Barber (toe) banged up, the Cowboys might have to lean heavily on their passing game.

Scouts Inc.: Cowboys-Steelers
Williamson_Matt_55.jpg
Matt Williamson runs down the best 20 players in the Cowboys-Steelers showdown.

How will the Cowboys' eighth-ranked offense attack Pittsburgh's top defense and vice versa?

MM: If Barber can go, the Cowboys will try to feed him the ball early in the game. But the Steelers do a great job taking away the run. The Cowboys have a left guard (Montrae Holland) who's inexperienced in this offense playing next to a false start waiting to happen (Flozell Adams). The Steelers will exploit those matchups every chance they get. The Cowboys won't say it publicly, but they feel like they can make plays downfield against the Steelers' secondary. Romo does an excellent job sliding away from pressure, and he should have plenty of opportunities. When Romo came back, the Cowboys started playing at a faster tempo. They will try to keep the Steelers guessing. Look for third-receiver Patrick Crayton to have a nice game. Teams tend to forget about him on the backside and this is the type of game where he could end up with 80 yards and a touchdown. The Steelers will try to confuse Romo with a lot of different looks. I've watched all 11 players line up in a two-point stance before. They'll bring pressure from everywhere. It's up to Romo to quickly identify where the pressure's coming from and go through his reads at a rapid rate. Since that's one of his strengths, it shouldn't be a major problem.

JW: Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is very good at taking away what opponents do best, which gets teams out of their comfort zones. Last week, Pittsburgh took Randy Moss (four catches, 45 yards) out of New England's offense and quarterback Matt Cassel looked lost without his best weapon playing well. I expect the Steelers to do the same to Owens, who could be matched up most of the game with cornerback Ike Taylor along with help over the top from the safeties, Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu. But what's intriguing this week is Dallas has so many other offensive weapons that it could still pose problems for Pittsburgh. It will be an interesting chess match indeed.

Will the weather and muddy conditions at Heinz Field play a factor in this game?

JW: Pittsburgh is accustomed to playing on this surface, so it will be more of an issue for Dallas. The forecast is expected to be in the high 20s with a 40 percent chance of snow, so that's an advantage for the Steelers, particularly defensively. I've heard so many players around the league complain about Heinz Field this time of year and I think it gets in the head of some teams. Yet I've never once heard a Steelers player complain about playing in the mud. I expect the running games to be very important Sunday. Barber's injury status is huge in this game.

MM: Wade Phillips had his team practice indoors with a DJ when it was 70 degrees outside Monday. He did make the Cowboys practice in "the elements" when temperatures were in the low 50s. He coached in the inclement weather in Buffalo, and he's indicated this week that too much is made of the awful conditions at Heinz Field. Phillips thinks the mud would slow down both defenses, but as James pointed out, the Steelers are used to playing in the Heinz soup. The Steelers put down a new surface, but the fact that high school and college teams play on the field makes for a dicey situation. Romo played in poor weather at Eastern Illinois and he spent a lot of winters in Wisconsin. I don't think the cold weather will faze him. I think Phillips is underestimating how cold it will be Sunday evening -- and it might come back to bite his team.

Which team has more at stake in terms of playoff implications?

MM: The Cowboys have much more at stake in this game, but it's certainly not a must-win situation. The Cowboys will host the Giants and Ravens in consecutive weeks after the Steelers game. If they lose to the Steelers, they can beat the Ravens and then finish on the road in Philadelphia against a team that will likely be out of the playoff picture. If the Cowboys beat the Steelers, it could serve as the impetus for a strong December and push toward the playoffs. The Cowboys have much more to gain here than the Steelers, but I wouldn't dare go out on a limb and pick them to win.

JW: Dallas is more in danger of not making the playoffs, so it's hard to argue that this game isn't more important for the Cowboys. But the Steelers also have a golden opportunity here. They have back-to-back road games against the Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans, who have a combined record of 19-5, and there is no promise that the Steelers will win either of those contests. So it's very important for Pittsburgh to take care of business at home. A win Sunday combined with losses by New England and the Miami Dolphins and the Steelers are in. There's no point for them to leave anything to chance in the final weeks of the regular season.

Prediction and score?

JW: Dallas struggles in December and has looked ordinary on the road with a 3-3 mark. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh thrives this time of year and is 15-5 in December since 2004. So the Steelers will win this game 24-20. Unless Owens has a huge performance, the Cowboys won't score many points. Romo should face a lot of pressure Sunday, and a turnover or two is all Pittsburgh needs to win at home.

MM: I'm shocked that "Big Game" James has the two teams combining for 44 points. I think the Steelers will win, 17-10. The Cowboys have plenty of weapons on offense, but they haven't seen a defense like this. Even Arizona's front completely baffled the Cowboys for most of the game, and the Steelers are a lot better than that defense. But if Barber's able to bang away at the Steelers' defense, you never know what could happen. Again, keep your eye on Patrick Crayton in this one. He'll be the unsung hero for the Cowboys if they pull off the upset. And though Phillips hates that we keep bringing it up, the Steelers have an advantage in the mud.

Cowboys-Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Wade Phillips, Mike Tomlin, Miami Dolphins, Patrick Crayton, Terrell Owens, Marion Barber, Willie Parker, New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, Heath Miller, Hines Ward, Roy Williams, Flozell Adams, Montrae Holland, Randy Moss, Ryan Clark, Troy Polamalu

Read comments or leave a comment

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2462219 said:
How will the Cowboys' eighth-ranked offense attack Pittsburgh's top defense and vice versa?

MM: If Barber can go, the Cowboys will try to feed him the ball early in the game. But the Steelers do a great job taking away the run. The Cowboys have a left guard (Montrae Holland) who's inexperienced in this offense playing next to a false start waiting to happen (Flozell Adams). The Steelers will exploit those matchups every chance they get. The Cowboys won't say it publicly, but they feel like they can make plays downfield against the Steelers' secondary. Romo does an excellent job sliding away from pressure, and he should have plenty of opportunities. When Romo came back, the Cowboys started playing at a faster tempo. They will try to keep the Steelers guessing. Look for third-receiver Patrick Crayton to have a nice game. Teams tend to forget about him on the backside and this is the type of game where he could end up with 80 yards and a touchdown. The Steelers will try to confuse Romo with a lot of different looks. I've watched all 11 players line up in a two-point stance before. They'll bring pressure from everywhere. It's up to Romo to quickly identify where the pressure's coming from and go through his reads at a rapid rate. Since that's one of his strengths, it shouldn't be a major problem.
Unless we go to the spread often to negate the Steelers' pass rush, I doubt that Crayton's going to get very many opportunities Sunday.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
DallasEast;2462265 said:
Unless we go to the spread often to negate the Steelers' pass rush, I doubt that Crayton's going to get very many opportunities Sunday.

I think that's exactly what we should do -- take advantage of the slippery conditions, their overrated secondary and Romo's quick reads and release.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboys2233;2462268 said:
I think that's exactly what we should do -- take advantage of the slippery conditions, their overrated secondary and Romo's quick reads and release.
If the weather and field conditions are as bad as anticipated, the gameplan will probably feature a majority of run plays as opposed to pass plays. Also, Garrett may wish to have an extra blocker for Romo during those run plays by substituting out Crayton.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
DallasEast;2462284 said:
If the weather and field conditions are as bad as anticipated, the gameplan will probably feature a majority of run plays as opposed to pass plays. Also, Garrett may wish to have an extra blocker for Romo during those run plays by substituting out Crayton.

Disagree. The weather and field conditons merit a spread-type offense with many passing plays. I don't know who the F came up with the idea that it's easier to run in the mud and snow than it is to employ a short, efficient passing game. A receiver only has to beat his man, very easy to do in slippery conditions. A running back has to navigate through an entire defense coming at him, with fat ******* offensive linemen sprawled all over the place to boot.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Even ALL of the DMN writers are picking the Steelers in this game.

Looks like noone is picking us, whether the national guys or the local.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Boysboy;2462323 said:
Even ALL of the DMN writers are picking the Steelers in this game.

Looks like noone is picking us, whether the national guys or the local.

No, there are a couple of guys on Yahoo picking us, but they are really, really ********. :laugh2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
MM: Wade Phillips had his team practice indoors with a DJ when it was 70 degrees outside Monday. He did make the Cowboys practice in "the elements" when temperatures were in the low 50s. He coached in the inclement weather in Buffalo, and he's indicated this week that too much is made of the awful conditions at Heinz Field. Phillips thinks the mud would slow down both defenses, but as James pointed out, the Steelers are used to playing in the Heinz soup. The Steelers put down a new surface, but the fact that high school and college teams play on the field makes for a dicey situation. Romo played in poor weather at Eastern Illinois and he spent a lot of winters in Wisconsin. I don't think the cold weather will faze him. I think Phillips is underestimating how cold it will be Sunday evening -- and it might come back to bite his team.

mosley is so dumb.

How many times does he need to be told by wade in a pc that the dj is there to simulate crowd noise. He hasnt said it this week, so I guess mosley needs to be told it each week.

Wade has said this many times going back to last year, yet like I said yesterday I think mosley is under the assumption that the DJ is their to spin the players favorite albums while they smoke up and eat doritos.

Mosley really isnt that bright sometimes.

and considering we play the giants and eagles twice a year and the Commanders are nothing to sneeze at defensively, I think it is fair to say we have seen something like it. It is difficult because our players have not really played lebeau's scheme but I think the giants defense is every bit as good as pittsburghs.

superpunk

Reaction score
I think any writer or Joe Nobody who is miffed that the Cowboys aren't doing all they can to simulate horrible conditions probably has never played at almost any sort of competitive level.

They can't simulate what it will be like in Pitt because Dallas isn't Pitt. They can't simulate the wind, or the rain, or possible sloppy turf. So at best, what Wade could do is find some way to make conditions absolutely miserable during practice so the players "get used" to it. I've got news for you. You don't get used to it. It will suck no matter what you do to prepare yourself for it. Even if you live in the area, you won't be used to it, because I guarantee the Steelers aren't going outside in this crappy Pennsylvania weather we're having at this time of year.

On top of that, if you expose players unnecessarily to bad conditions at this time of year you also expose them to unnecessary illness. Who wants half the team catching the flu before sunday? Would that be helpful?

At best you can run practice just like you always do. Work on the plays you want to run against their defense this week, practice the plays we can get against that Oline. Going outside in crappy weather and doing that isn't going to make one iota of difference. I guarantee that.

Maybe it would help if these Melvins took a look at the Steelers practice facility before they whine like little girls about Wade practicing indoors.

http://www.wpxi.com/slideshow/mostpopular/14654018/detail.html

magic-sword

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2462291 said:
Disagree. The weather and field conditons merit a spread-type offense with many passing plays. I don't know who the F came up with the idea that it's easier to run in the mud and snow than it is to employ a short, efficient passing game. A receiver only has to beat his man, very easy to do in slippery conditions. A running back has to navigate through an entire defense coming at him, with fat ******* offensive linemen sprawled all over the place to boot.

I agree defenses have to react and have to negotiate the terrain in order to stay on a receiver - offenses already know where they are going - advantage Offense.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
This is a must win game for the Cowboys. I can make that claim, but I'll spare you.

Dallas is the desperate team, and they are the better team. They are battle tested. They will beat the Steelers and the weather.

Dallas 17

Pittsburgh 13

The Dallas defense will win this game. DeMarcus Ware and Terence Newman (the two best defensive players on the football field) will have monster games.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think you will see a lot of 3 Wr sets from the Cowboys this week. If Barber is not healthy Dallas will not try to force the run. You might even see 2 TE's and 3 Wr's in the game at times.

I think the key to this game is the play of Gurode, Holland and Davis in maintaining a place for Romo to step up in the pocket when the pressure comes.

By the way, is Miles still out?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If it's real muddy then it's hard to run unless you have a mudder RB. We may have one but I doubt we do. I saw Gale Sayers put on the greatest show I've ever seen by a RB in the mud. We don't have a Gale Sayers, IMO.

But I don't see it being that muddy. I think we'll be able to play most of our offense. If not it's more likely to be the wind than the mud. I hope TO can catch the ball. And I hope our punter can kick a cold ball. I always hated punting one. Hurt me.

Pittsburg is just not that scary.

What should be said is they have never seen an offense like ours. Not NE.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
aikemirv;2462395 said:
I think you will see a lot of 3 Wr sets from the Cowboys this week. If Barber is not healthy Dallas will not try to force the run. You might even see 2 TE's and 3 Wr's in the game at times.

I think the key to this game is the play of Gurode, Holland and Davis in maintaining a place for Romo to step up in the pocket when the pressure comes.

By the way, is Miles still out?

I think you're right. We may see that 2 TE set in the backfield more than usual in this game. Romo has got to have time. Give him time and he'll pick anyone apart. I don't see how they are going to send that many that often. Williams, TO, Witten, even the rook TE, and Crayton should be able to get open.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DallasEast;2462284 said:

That's playing their style instead of dictating to them.

Ask yourself this: Would you rather our defense face a normal set or 4 Wides?

Pitt and the Boys are very similar defensively except they disguise coverage and blitz more often. But as Ware pointed out the team found it is at its best in 4 man rush schemes. The more coverage we have the better we are. NFL QBs can beat a good pass rush if you aren't covering.

Pitt is very strong in the front 7 but you can't rush 5 and cover 5 very well at all. We start sending only 3 out into patterns and you can bet they'll bring 5 or 6. They'll man Roy E and double both Witten and T.O.

T.O., Witten and R.e.W. are very strong guys and short completions on a blitz can mean huge gains. But you need to get them in man situations.

I do expect some two TE sets but we pass out of that as much as we run out of it. Bennett is no slouch in the passing game.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
The Steelers didn't really take Moss out of the game. Moss took himself out. He kept dropping passes, including one that was probably a 40 yard gain.

Fundamentals. Don't drop passes, committ turnvoers, or stupid penalties.

That's the key on Sunday.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The running game won't beat Pitt. Dallas will need to go to Witten and Bennett to loosen up the deep threats. The short passing game will take the place of the injured MB3.

The running game will be turned loose at the end to protect a lead and eat clock, otherwise Garrett will only run as a change of pace.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2462606 said:
The Steelers didn't really take Moss out of the game. Moss took himself out. He kept dropping passes, including one that was probably a 40 yard gain.
Exactly.

And on practicing outside, for the billionth time... Bryan Broaddus was on 103.3 today and they asked him about Green Bay's practice habits back when he was a scout for Ron Wolf. He said every day after October they practiced indoors. So much for preparing in arctic conditions.

Really, way too much is being made of the freaking weather. Maybe you worry about someone like Bennett who is from Houston, played at A&M, and may never have played a game this cold in his life. But all the others have.

And my god, it's not like it's going to be a -20 Ice Bowl kind of weather anyway. And it's not like this is San Diego anyway. Just this morning here, the wind chill was in the teens, for crying out loud.

Reaction score
Blogger debate: Pittsburgh vs. Dallas
December 5, 2008 10:23 AM
nfl_romo_roethlisberger_412.jpg
Chris Morrison-US PRESSWIRE and Rick Stewart/Getty Images Tony Romo and Ben Roethlisberger meet in a highly anticipated game Sunday with playoff implications for both teams.Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley and James Walker
In advance of the Cowboys-Steelers game Sunday at Heinz Field, NFC Beast blogger Matt Mosley and AFC North blogger James Walker agreed to discuss what this December showdown means to the league and the world in general. The Cowboys (8-4) could take a major step toward solidifying an NFC wild-card spot, while the Steelers (9-3) are fighting for a second consecutive division title and a first-round bye.

Mosley and Walker are both en route to Pittsburgh to cover what should be the best game of the weekend. Please enjoy the following discussion:

Both quarterbacks are banged up, but how will each fare in this marquee matchup?

James Walker: Ben Roethlisberger had a minor tweak to his right knee at the end of practice Wednesday, but the Steelers are saying it's no big deal. The larger concern in such a big game is Roethlisberger's shoulder, which has been an issue all season. The injury has gradually taken the deep-passing game out of Pittsburgh's offense. In the past three games, Roethlisberger's longest completion is just 37 yards. Most of his throws of late have been underneath to receiver Hines Ward and tight end Heath Miller.

Matt Mosley: Tony Romo is planning to play without a splint on his right pinkie for the first time in a month. At first, he felt some pain when he had to drive the ball on deep out patterns, but he's pretty comfortable at this point. He went back to his favorite target, Jason Witten, last Thursday against the Seahawks. And contrary to what No. 81 might say, Witten's the most important piece of the passing game. But since we brought him up, it's a great sign that Terrell Owens has made a significant impact in the past two wins. The Steelers will use press coverage and have a safety over the top in order to slow down T.O. The Cowboys will counter with some pre-snap motion, and this could also be a breakout game for Roy Williams. With Marion Barber (toe) banged up, the Cowboys might have to lean heavily on their passing game

MM
: If Barber can go, the Cowboys will try to feed him the ball early in the game. But the Steelers do a great job taking away the run. The Cowboys have a left guard (Montrae Holland) who's inexperienced in this offense playing next to a false start waiting to happen (Flozell Adams). The Steelers will exploit those matchups every chance they get. The Cowboys won't say it publicly, but they feel like they can make plays downfield against the Steelers' secondary. Romo does an excellent job sliding away from pressure, and he should have plenty of opportunities. When Romo came back, the Cowboys started playing at a faster tempo. They will try to keep the Steelers guessing. Look for third-receiver Patrick Crayton to have a nice game. Teams tend to forget about him on the backside and this is the type of game where he could end up with 80 yards and a touchdown. The Steelers will try to confuse Romo with a lot of different looks. I've watched all 11 players line up in a two-point stance before. They'll bring pressure from everywhere. It's up to Romo to quickly identify where the pressure's coming from and go through his reads at a rapid rate. Since that's one of his strengths, it shouldn't be a major problem.

JW: Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is very good at taking away what opponents do best, which gets teams out of their comfort zones. Last week, Pittsburgh took Randy Moss (four catches, 45 yards) out of New England's offense and quarterback Matt Cassel looked lost without his best weapon playing well. I expect the Steelers to do the same to Owens, who could be matched up most of the game with cornerback Ike Taylor along with help over the top from the safeties, Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu. But what's intriguing this week is Dallas has so many other offensive weapons that it could still pose problems for Pittsburgh. It will be an interesting chess match indeed.

Will the weather and muddy conditions at Heinz Field play a factor in this game?

JW: Pittsburgh is accustomed to playing on this surface, so it will be more of an issue for Dallas. The forecast is expected to be in the high 20s with a 40 percent chance of snow, so that's an advantage for the Steelers, particularly defensively. I've heard so many players around the league complain about Heinz Field this time of year and I think it gets in the head of some teams. Yet I've never once heard a Steelers player complain about playing in the mud. I expect the running games to be very important Sunday. Barber's injury status is huge in this game. MM: Wade Phillips had his team practice indoors with a DJ when it was 70 degrees outside Monday. He did make the Cowboys practice in "the elements" when temperatures were in the low 50s. He coached in the inclement weather in Buffalo, and he's indicated this week that too much is made of the awful conditions at Heinz Field. Phillips thinks the mud would slow down both defenses, but as James pointed out, the Steelers are used to playing in the Heinz soup. The Steelers put down a new surface, but the fact that high school and college teams play on the field makes for a dicey situation. Romo played in poor weather at Eastern Illinois and he spent a lot of winters in Wisconsin. I don't think the cold weather will faze him. I think Phillips is underestimating how cold it will be Sunday evening -- and it might come back to bite his team.

Which team has more at stake in terms of playoff implications?

MM: The Cowboys have much more at stake in this game, but it's certainly not a must-win situation. The Cowboys will host the Giants and Ravens in consecutive weeks after the Steelers game. If they lose to the Steelers, they can beat the Ravens and then finish on the road in Philadelphia against a team that will likely be out of the playoff picture. If the Cowboys beat the Steelers, it could serve as the impetus for a strong December and push toward the playoffs. The Cowboys have much more to gain here than the Steelers, but I wouldn't dare go out on a limb and pick them to win.

JW: Dallas is more in danger of not making the playoffs, so it's hard to argue that this game isn't more important for the Cowboys. But the Steelers also have a golden opportunity here. They have back-to-back road games against the Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans, who have a combined record of 19-5, and there is no promise that the Steelers will win either of those contests. So it's very important for Pittsburgh to take care of business at home. A win Sunday combined with losses by New England and the Miami Dolphins and the Steelers are in. There's no point for them to leave anything to chance in the final weeks of the regular season.

Prediction and score?

JW: Dallas struggles in December and has looked ordinary on the road with a 3-3 mark. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh thrives this time of year and is 15-5 in December since 2004. So the Steelers will win this game 24-20. Unless Owens has a huge performance, the Cowboys won't score many points. Romo should face a lot of pressure Sunday, and a turnover or two is all Pittsburgh needs to win at home.

MM: I'm shocked that "Big Game" James has the two teams combining for 44 points. I think the Steelers will win, 17-10. The Cowboys have plenty of weapons on offense, but they haven't seen a defense like this. Even Arizona's front completely baffled the Cowboys for most of the game, and the Steelers are a lot better than that defense. But if Barber's able to bang away at the Steelers' defense, you never know what could happen. Again, keep your eye on Patrick Crayton in this one. He'll be the unsung hero for the Cowboys if they pull off the upset. And though Phillips hates that we keep bringing it up, the Steelers have an advantage in the mud.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-4-75/Blogger-debate--Pittsburgh-vs--Dallas.html