ESPN Mosley: Who is the Cowboys' third receiver?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
November 18, 2008 12:17 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Wide receiver Roy Williams has replaced Patrick Crayton in the Cowboys' starting lineup. But now it appears that the pride of Monmouth University, Miles Austin, has moved past Crayton as the team's third receiver.

As he walked around the locker room with an iPod boom box following Sunday's win over the Commanders, quarterback Tony Romo stopped to tell me how much Austin has meant to the offense. The receiver had two huge catches on third down, and he had a 16-yard gain called back because of a penalty in the second half.

"He's an every-down receiver," Romo told me. "He's really a good player and I'm looking for him when the game's on the line."

When Romo was in trouble on third-and-7 early in the fourth quarter, he shoveled a pass to Austin for 8 yards. Romo received most of the credit for the play, but it was Austin who broke off his slant route and dipped underneath a linebacker to get open. He said he was "burning a hole in" Romo's eyes on the play.

If the Cowboys hadn't converted, they would've been forced to attempt a game-tying field goal. Instead, Romo hit Martellus Bennett for a 25-yard touchdown pass on the next play.

Miles Austin, Tony Romo, Martellus Bennett, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Commanders

Read comments or leave a comment

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
When TO leaves or retires Austin will be the #2 guy opposite Roy.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
In another year or two, Williams and Austin will make an excellent pair of starters. Their skills complement each other well.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2428154 said:
But now it appears that the pride of Monmouth University, Miles Austin, has moved past Crayton as the team's third receiver.

None too soon for me.

I hope this is true.

:thankyou: :clap:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile;2428183 said:
He's a great #3 WR option. Love the guy's hands.

We could do worse. On the other hand we could also get the same results cheaper. He was overvalued last year, way overvalued.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Who's is #3?

Whoever fits the play call.

But like others have said Austin is going to be opposite Roy eventually I think.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Hostile;2428162 said:
When TO leaves or retires Austin will be the #2 guy opposite Roy.

I keep hearing about T.O and his retirement. He's got 3 more years on his contract. Believe me, he's playing through it. 3 more seasons after this one. Crayton will be in Miami next year. We'll get a 6th for him at most.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2428257 said:
I keep hearing about T.O and his retirement. He's got 3 more years on his contract. Believe me, he's playing through it. 3 more seasons after this one. Crayton will be in Miami next year. We'll get a 6th for him at most.

T.O. re-signed? I didn't even remember that

AKATheRake

Reaction score
xWraithx;2428260 said:
T.O. re-signed? I didn't even remember that

3 years $29 million extension on top of this year. I believe $10 million is guaranteed. So before the season started he is guaranteed to be with us this season + 3 others barring retirement or us cutting him. Neither is going to happen. Him and Roy average $9 million a year each.

T.O's playing on his last year of the original 3 year $25 million deal he signed with us, roster bonus laiden with no guaranteed money. Plus now he has the added 3 years for $29 million with $10 guaranteed as mentioned above on top of the original contract as an extension. This was done just before TC. My avatar is a picture from the press conference.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
isn't it great when you can wait more than 2 games before saying someone can't catch the football?

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2428270 said:
3 years $29 million extension on top of this year. I believe $10 million is guaranteed. So before the season started he is guaranteed to be with us this season + 3 others barring retirement or us cutting him. Neither is going to happen. Him and Roy average $9 million a year each.

T.O's playing on his last year of the original 3 year $25 million deal he signed with us, roster bonus laiden with no guaranteed money. Plus now he has the added 3 years for $29 million with $10 guaranteed as mentioned above on top of the original contract as an extension. This was done just before TC. My avatar is a picture from the press conference.

No idea how I had forgotten that, thanks for the info

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;2428248 said:
We could do worse. On the other hand we could also get the same results cheaper. He was overvalued last year, way overvalued.

Curious who'd give us the same results for cheaper. Not saying it's not so, but Crayton's 6M guaranteed 4M/14Y contract was a pretty good deal for us at the time.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;2428293 said:
Curious who'd give us the same results for cheaper. Not saying it's not so, but Crayton's 6M guaranteed 4M/14Y contract was a pretty good deal for us at the time.

4 million over 14 years? wow, that's one hell of a deal for us

DallasDomination

Reaction score
people act like T.O is not good anymore..He' struggling but He will have a monster game against the Niners to open everybodies eyes again.