Video: ESPN: NFC East Q&A: Are the Eagles able to handle Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham Jr.?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
NFC East Q&A: Are the Eagles able to handle Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham Jr.?

i

i

Phil Sheridan, ESPN Staff Writer

Embedded Video

Today's question:
The Philadelphia Eagles spent a lot of money and resources to rebuild their secondary. Are they any better equipped to handle Dez Bryant,Odell Beckham Jr. and DeSean Jackson?

Todd Archer, Dallas Cowboys: From the Bryant perspective, I would say no. Of course, I might say no if they added Darrelle Revis as well. To me, the Byron Maxwell signing is a signal of desperation. The Cowboys made a similar signing in 2012 when they paid Brandon Carr $50 million. I get that you’re going to have to overpay in free agency to get players, especially cornerbacks, but I don’t think the Legion of Boom will crater without Maxwell. Bryant is just a nightmare for any cornerback, as is Beckham and to a lesser degree Jackson. The best way the Eagles can handle Bryant is to affect Tony Romo. I thought Fletcher Cox was the best defender the Cowboys played last year. Connor Barwin can be a dangerous pass-rusher too. If those guys up front play better, then that rebuilt secondary will be a lot better.

Dan Graziano, New York Giants: We’re talking about Maxwell, Walter Thurmond and second-round pick Eric Rowe as additions to the Eagles’ secondary, basically replacing Bradley Fletcher, Cary Williams and Nate Allen. I don’t think Fletcher, Williams or Allen are guys who’ll be too terribly missed, so the question is whether the three new guys are sufficiently significant upgrades. Seems like a lot of expensive deck-chair-shuffling to me, but we’ll see. What I find interesting is that this isn’t like the offensive side of the ball, where Kelly is jettisoning players he inherited and didn’t like. Fletcher and Williams were guys Kelly brought in when he got to Philly, and they didn’t work out. Kelly’s offensive coaching chops are well established, but I think it’s fair to say he’s still tinkering with how to build and operate a consistently successful NFL defense.

John Keim, Washington Commanders: They are potentially better equipped to handle passing attacks -- and they need to be after allowing an NFL-worst 13.2 yards per reception last season. I’m not convinced that Maxwell is a No. 1 corner, but I know he has the long arms and size Kelly likes. So that helps. They’ll also possibly have a rookie in Rowe starting and that always leads to some growing pains and there are questions at strong safety. So the Eagles might be better, but will it be good enough?

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphi...es-able-to-handle-dez-bryant-odell-beckham-jr

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Can't embed the video which isn't half bad. Mostly NFC East stuff but some mention of Dez.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This fan is still a bit worried about the strength of the Eagle's defensive line. They have top of league inside talent there.

Offensively, Dallas should be able to handle those pressures....but things won't be easy or a push over during games.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
They may have the best d in the nfce but they also have the most questions marks as a whole team.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I see the rug getting pulled out from under the Eagles hype this season...

itsaboat

Reaction score
I think Williams and Maxwell are similar. Thurmond is coming off injury and probably isn't an upgrade over Allen. It's really about Rowe and if he's an upgrade over Fletcher. If the Eagles improved their secondary it isn't by much IMO. They are probably going to spend draft picks to fix it so it may be a few years until it happens.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This fan is still a bit worried about the strength of the Eagle's defensive line. They have top of league inside talent there.

Offensively, Dallas should be able to handle those pressures....but things won't be easy or a push over during games.

Fair enough but it's not like we don't have the recipe to counter their d line.. In fact I don't think they have the horses to hold up with our O-line.

Turnovers & losing defensive assignments because of Kelly's scheme is their only hope imo.

I could be wrong and they could be as good as everyone thinks but I don't see it.

Dallas has an elite roster talent wise.

Philly haaas? Sam Bradford? Rookie receivers? Murray is good fair enough but he's as injury prone as it gets.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I think Maxwell and Thurmond are both fairly decent. They overpaid for them sure, but they're upgrades over who they replaced. Fletcher/Williams were really bad. I like Rowe too, but he's a rook. Kiko is a good addition to the nickel D if he stays healthy.

Their front 7 gave us some trouble last year. I think their defense will be pretty decent when it's all said and done just because they get a lot of production up front.

That being said, they aren't going to "handle" us, if everyone stays healthy at least. It all starts up front and we have everything we need to handle their biggest strength. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chip Kelly shmoozefest falls into the officiating, and by that I mean Maxwell getting away with being way more handsy than would otherwise be allowed. Still won't help them though.

As far as the Giants, I could see the Eagles defense handling them early in the season actually. The Giants probably have the best WR trio in the NFL, outside of maybe Atlanta, but that OL is in bad shape right now. If the Eagles stop the Giants WR's it's going to be because Eli is disrupted.

As far as their offense, it honestly looks like one of the worst offenses in the NFL right now. I'm predicting a new Chip Kelly rule implemented after this season because it seems like the only way that offense is going to succeed is through a complete gimmick/borderline legal playcalling scheme. I envision 300 pick plays called this season. Kidding, maybe not.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
If Dallas can run the ball effectively Nobody in NFCE is a threat.