ESPN: NFL's Dirtiest Players

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Biggems;2389159 said:
to me, dirty is taking cheap shots, cheating, or intentionally trying to injure. These are players who should be in the dirty HOF

Dick Butkus
Jack Lambert
Lyle Alzado
Bill Romo
Rodney Harrison
Vince Wilfork
Andre Watters
The Denver OL
Jack Tatum

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Biggems;2389159 said:
to me, dirty is taking cheap shots, cheating, or intentionally trying to injure. These are players who should be in the dirty HOF

Dick Butkus
Jack Lambert
Lyle Alzado
Bill Romo
Rodney Harrison
Vince Wilfork
Andre Watters
The Denver OL

Good list. I would add:

Ed Sprinkle
Hardy Brown
George Connor
Bill George
Conrad Dobler
Jack Tatum
Wes Hopkins
Bill Bergey
Ben Davidson (Ever seen the helmet to the back of Len Dawson? WOW!)

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
dwarecwby311;2388731 said:
Hines Ward is not a dirty player
Sports Illustrated polled NFL players a few years ago, and Ward was voted near the top.

NFL players clearly feel that he's a dirty player.

Daudr

Reaction score
THUMPER;2389338 said:
Good list. I would add:

Ed Sprinkle
Hardy Brown
George Connor
Bill George
Conrad Dobler
Jack Tatum
Wes Hopkins
Bill Bergey
Ben Davidson (Ever seen the helmet to the back of Len Dawson? WOW!)

I would add Deacon Jones too.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2389340 said:
Sports Illustrated polled NFL players a few years ago, and Ward was voted near the top.

NFL players clearly feel that he's a dirty player.

i wonder how many of those players were ****** hurt DBs who were on the wrong end of a PERFECTLY LEGAL crackback block

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2388767 said:
Wilfork
Haynesworth
Seymour
The entire Denver O-line and their chop blocks.

:bow: .................. on Haynesworth.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Hostile;2388767 said:
Wilfork
Haynesworth
Seymour
The entire Denver O-line and their chop blocks.

I dont agree with Haynesworth. He had that incident with Gurode and thats it. I haven't heard of another fine, or personal foul against him. :confused:

He said he was sorry, and nothing has happened agin in what, 2 years now?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ajk23az;2389437 said:
I dont agree with Haynesworth. He had that incident with Gurode and thats it. I haven't heard of another fine, or personal foul against him. :confused:

He said he was sorry, and nothing has happened agin in what, 2 years now?

i agree.....he had some anger issues that he was dealing with and lost contro. that incident caused him to get some much needed help in dealing with his anger. I do not recall him having any incidents since.

regular players snap from time to time, and that is what Haynesworth did.

dirty players are pretty consistent with their play.

the way this league has become feminine over the last decade or so, Darren Woodson could be considered dirty....but we all know he wasn't

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't think Roy Williams ever considered himself dirty, but....

When you injure a couple of players, get a rule named after you, and continue to make the same type of tackle despite penalties, I can see why other players would think that.

Also, I'm sure WR's think Roy is dirty because when they are helpless, they are the only players they've seen him hit. When it comes to RB's, Roy is a notorious ankle/knee diver...for a big hitter, he has never really wanted to take on RB's who hit back.

I still remember the Thanksgiving game against Miami with Ricky Williams...saw Roy Williams came up hard in run support again and again, but Ricky Williams never once did anything but head straight for him...and every single time Roy went to the turf with a flying ankle tackle to take him down...not once did he ever throw a shoulder into him.

I can see why RB's would start thinking he's dirty too....you see, sadly, despite all his notoriety as a big hitter, Roy doesn't really seem to like contact in the NFL....think back to most of the guys he blew up early in his career...it was always a WR trying to catch the football or a RB someone else had already stopped...then Roy would fly in and cause a fumble. He was aggressive and threw his body around when he was younger, but he was always diving into their legs.

Roy was still an above average SS, but I think his reputation for being a huge hitter was overblown.