ESPN: Pondering three important Cowboys questions

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Pondering three important Cowboys questions
September, 6, 2010 Sep 69:38AM CTEmail Print Comments By Tim MacMahonWe'll try to get clarity on these questions today at Valley Ranch. For now, we'll offer educated guesses as answers.

Will left guard Kyle Kosier and right tackle Marc Colombo be ready to play against the Commanders?

Colombo, who had surgery Aug. 16 to remove five loose particles from his right knee is expected to practice this week. He should be able to play, but we’ll see whether he moves well or if that leg gives him problems. If he isn’t 100 percent, it could be a long night against Washington star Brian Orakpo.

The opener is 3 ½ weeks after Kosier sprained the MCL in his left knee. The timetable for his return was 4-6 weeks.
Who will be the nickel/dime linebacker?

Wade Phillips praised Jason Williams for his work in the nickel during the preseason finale, even though the second-year player was whistled for pass interference. But can the coaching staff really trust Williams when it counts?

My hunch is the Cowboys who go with a veteran they know can do the job. That means Keith Brooking plays in the substitution packages.

Who will return punts and kickoffs?

Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis wants Dez Bryant, whom he has compared to Pro Bowl return man Josh Cribbs.

But Bryant is coming off a high ankle sprain. His conditioning isn’t what it would have been if he could have participated in the last four weeks of training camp. It’s asking a lot for him to be the third receiver and handle all the returns.

Fourth-round pick Akwasi Owusu-Ansah showed flashes as a return man in the last three games, especially on kickoffs. With only three pure corners on the roster, he’ll be active, so it makes sense to use him in the return games.

click link here for rest of story

Outtayourleague

Reaction score
I wouldnt want Dez returning punts just yet. Id give him a couple of weeks. Put AOA back there. He is extremely explosive and is a playmaker. I still dont trust Jwill just yet either

brickman

Reaction score
Romo2Dez88;3535450 said:
I wouldnt want Dez returning punts just yet. Id give him a couple of weeks. Put AOA back there. He is extremely explosive and is a playmaker. I still dont trust Jwill just yet either

I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by AOA's return skills.

LongSnapper

Reaction score
Not surprising if the Cowboys dont preform well Sunday then most likely you'll be able to point to the o-line cause thats where it all starts I hope those guys can get back on the field healthy and productive soon.

I'd play Brooking @ nickel for the time being and spot Lee for him a series or two

I also like AOA as a returner and would keep Dez @ #3 tell he gets his feet wet

but my opinion doesn't count, I dont get a check from Jerry

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
LongSnapper;3535513 said:
Not surprising if the Cowboys dont preform well Sunday then most likely you'll be able to point to the o-line cause thats where it all starts I hope those guys can get back on the field healthy and productive soon.

I'd play Brooking @ nickel for the time being and spot Lee for him a series or two

I also like AOA as a returner and would keep Dez @ #3 tell he gets his feet wet

but my opinion doesn't count, I dont get a check from Jerry

totally agree about playing brooking on all 3 downs, besides after 3 weeks you will have the bye week, so brooking can rest his legs during bye week, by that time, you should have either leon williams or jason williams or mccray ready to cover in nickel situations

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3535330 said:
Pondering three important Cowboys questions
September, 6, 2010 Sep 69:38AM CTEmail Print Comments By Tim MacMahonWe'll try to get clarity on these questions today at Valley Ranch. For now, we'll offer educated guesses as answers.

Will left guard Kyle Kosier and right tackle Marc Colombo be ready to play against the Commanders?

Colombo, who had surgery Aug. 16 to remove five loose particles from his right knee is expected to practice this week. He should be able to play, but we’ll see whether he moves well or if that leg gives him problems. If he isn’t 100 percent, it could be a long night against Washington star Brian Orakpo.

The opener is 3 ½ weeks after Kosier sprained the MCL in his left knee. The timetable for his return was 4-6 weeks.
Who will be the nickel/dime linebacker?

Wade Phillips praised Jason Williams for his work in the nickel during the preseason finale, even though the second-year player was whistled for pass interference. But can the coaching staff really trust Williams when it counts?

My hunch is the Cowboys who go with a veteran they know can do the job. That means Keith Brooking plays in the substitution packages.

Who will return punts and kickoffs?

Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis wants Dez Bryant, whom he has compared to Pro Bowl return man Josh Cribbs.

But Bryant is coming off a high ankle sprain. His conditioning isn’t what it would have been if he could have participated in the last four weeks of training camp. It’s asking a lot for him to be the third receiver and handle all the returns.

Fourth-round pick Akwasi Owusu-Ansah showed flashes as a return man in the last three games, especially on kickoffs. With only three pure corners on the roster, he’ll be active, so it makes sense to use him in the return games.

click link here for rest of story

Has Koiser defenitely been ruled out for Sunday?

I'm very conerned with our OL absent Kosier and Columbo just off the surgery.

I hope they play it smart with Columbo. If it were I, he'd have to show me a lot in practice this week to get the start.

If we have no Koiser or Columbo, we better bring our defense and one hell of a creative offensive gameplan to DC.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I'd prefer Jay Will to be our nickel back. The kid fly around the field. He'll make some plays.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3535550 said:
I'd prefer Jay Will to be our nickel back. The kid fly around the field. He'll make some plays.

Brooking will be the nickel back. But JWill and Lee will be filling in for him (and James) on the occasional first and/or 2nd downs. Like the DL, the LB corps will be platooned regularly to keep everyone fresh and hungry.