Twitter: ESPN Prepared To Make Tony Romo Highest-Paid Sportscaster In History

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
CBS is by far the better gig. But hey, hard to tell another individual to turn down the bigger contract if that's what he/she is seeking.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Romo will be in the HoF someday.

as a player and an announcer.

everyone knows who Tony Romo is.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I hope he sticks with CBS. I cannot stand ESPN. Watch them stick him with Tessitore.

Tessitore is way too enthusiastic. “And derrICK HENRY PUMMELS HIS WAY FORWARD FOR A 4 YARD GAIN ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME!!! THE TITANS ARE COMING OUT STRONG!!!” Idk why that dude hollers about everything.

starfan1

Reaction score
Hes no stranger to getting overpaid but at least in this case hes the best in the business. Id rather see him stay where hes at.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
More $$$. Are they sure too much on his shoulders won't cause him to choke live on TV?

LOL .. just missing with you all.... He is good at this thing and adds to the game excitement to be honest. For some reason Nantz is not the perfect partner in the booth though (even though he is a Cowboys fan)

:cool:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo will be in the HoF someday.

as a player and an announcer.

everyone knows who Tony Romo is.
That is fanspeak. Nothing wrong with it but it dismissed how the actual people vote individuals into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Annually, the Board of Selectors argues the merits of inducting individuals as players, coaches or contributors. Scratch Romo’s entry as a coach.

The Board’s track record is literally littered with players with notable statistics and no league awards. Romo has a significantly steep uphill climb to make into serious scheduled debates between Selectors.

Romo may have begun a resume that will eventually appease the Board’s criteria as a contributor. However, it will take years (likely decades) of contribution in broadcasting, and possibly more media ventures, to reach the Selector’s standards of electability.

As always, history has a way of giving insight into the present and the future. Pat Summerall played in the NFL. albeit as a placekicker. His career includes playing on an NFL championship team. Summerall was one of best NFL and sports broadcasters in television history.

After watching the Board for a long time, I would guess they view Romo like they do Summerall at this stage. The combination of playing career and broadcasting has not persuaded the Board to induct Summerall into the Hall. Yet. In my opinion, Summerall desires to be in the Hall solely as a contributor in broadcasting. There have not been many who were as knowledgeable and presented the game to the viewing public as Summerall. Ever.

Romo is in that same boat now. Hopefully, he will have better luck with the Board than Summerall. Eventually.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
We are not in the 80's or the 70's Mondy Night Football of today is a career ending trap...It tarnish a lot of people reputation

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe ESPN thinks they will get better games and matchups if they have Tony on the team.
Try to bring back respect. Maybe they will try to show the games both on ESPN and ABC to get more viewers.
Like FOX and NFLN do with Thursday night games.

CapnB

Reaction score
With this... hmmm i dont know... Im sure Tony has certain things in his contract with CBS that allows him to do the things he wants. And ESPN would have to match that. And that will probably play a major role. However, Tony is set money wise and he has a certain chemistry with Nantz and that is something money cant buy. Honestly, i cant see Tony taking them up on their offer.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I’d rather tony stay with cbs. I can’t see him on Monday night calling possibly the worst game of the week.

bb721

Reaction score
i hope Romo stays with CBs,more people can hear with than with ESPN.

Actually MNF is shown nationwide, where as the games he does on CBS are only shown in certain markets on any given Sunday

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Actually MNF is shown nationwide, where as the games he does on CBS are only shown in certain markets on any given Sunday
That doesn't happen very often though because he gets the #1 game of the week on CBS. And he gets good games. Nobody cares about the ESPN games anymore. When ABC lost MNF those games went to Sunday night on NBC.

DFWJC

Reaction score

If CBS comes close at all to matching, I think Romo would stay. Does not even need to be as much...imo.
ESPN is a wreck at times and they push various non-sports related stuff into the agenda at times as well.
That's not Romo.

Plus, he loves being teamed with Nance and (I think) he would like, some day down the road, to do some golf too.