ESPN: Re-grading every NFL team's 2018 offseason moves

lukin2006

Reaction score
Amari Cooper, Leighton Vander Esch, Michael Gallup, Antuan Woods, Tavon Austin, Connor Williams, moving Byron Jones to corner, added Mike White as a development QB....

I'm sorry, but that's far better than a "C" with an already talented roster in place.

I do not know, LVE, Gallup and Woods standout...Austin was injured most of the year, Williams struggled and I thought Jones struggled down the stretch about, now Jones struggling down the stretch might have to do with Awusia getting better as the season went along and QB's were throwing Jones way more often.

erod

Reaction score
I do not know, LVE, Gallup and Woods standout...Austin was injured most of the year, Williams struggled and I thought Jones struggled down the stretch about, now Jones struggling down the stretch might have to do with Awusia getting better as the season went along and QB's were throwing Jones way more often.
OK, then what team did better in the draft and offseason than Dallas?

You can pick holes in any team.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Amari Cooper, Leighton Vander Esch, Michael Gallup, Antuan Woods, Tavon Austin, Connor Williams, moving Byron Jones to corner, added Mike White as a development QB....

I'm sorry, but that's far better than a "C" with an already talented roster in place.

I agree. Not having a legitimate threat at WR going into the season was a huge misstep, sure. But I don’t think it offsets the positives. Nailing the draft is a big deal, and it looks like we did that, based on LVE and Gallup alone.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I'd give the Cowboys an A-. The draft was solid with LVE, Conner Williams and Michael Gallup. Armstrong looked good but couldn't find a place in the lineup. Shultz got some playing time too and should be better after a year to bulk up. The team also added Amari Cooper via trade and don't forget about Antwan Woods. The rookies from 2017 all got better.

We should all feel very good about this team going into next year.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Remember when the Eagles were gonna go 15-1 and dominate the division on the way to a repeat title?

Good times

Garrettop

Reaction score
I'd do a B/B-. The moves made were solid. There just weren't enough moves made.

erod

Reaction score
Remember when the Eagles were gonna go 15-1 and dominate the division on the way to a repeat title?

Good times
True, but here's the problem.

No team has won the NFC East in back-to-back years since 2004.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Before the risk for Cooper that thankfully paid off, it was a big fat F.

Drafting LVE, William's, Gallup, Schultz, and Armstrong who all of which contributed(Armstrong not as much as preseason due to limited snaps).

Trading a 6th for Tavon who on a per play basis and special teams really helped this team.

Signing XSF, Looney, Woods and Flemming to minimum deals, and all of which outperformed their pay exponentially.

Choosing Maher over Bailey
Hiring Richard

That's an F?

Compare that to the negatives
Draft- drafting Bo in the 7th I guess?
FA- Signing Hurns for $6M
Coaching- Paul Alexander hiring

Yeahhhhh not seeing the F there

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I think it's fair to include Cooper in this year's draft grade because we used a draft pick from this year to get him. But it's not fair to include him in a grade for last offseason. He wasn't acquired last offseason.

It really was a pretty horrific offseason. As they sat there smug like they knew better than everyone else. A C grade is too generous, IMO.

I guess my point isn't so much about Cooper being a good move (since obviously that wasn't in the offseason,) as much as passing on paying Sammy Watkins big money was a good move. As in, the WR core wasn't looking great to go into the season, but I still believe we went about it the right way. It ended up paying off with Gallup and waiting for the right moment to pick up the right receiver (Cooper).

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cooper was not an offseason acquisition. He was acquired mid season which by definition is not the offseaason. Tavon doesn't move the grade up. We got very little from him. Mike White? Now you are reaching. lol

It was a good rookie class. I think if the grade was just about the draft, it would be higher.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
They have us near the bottom of the league and last in the division.

It was a pretty epically awful offseason. Makes you stoked for this one.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ading-every-nfl-team-2018-offseason-moves#dal

Dallas Cowboys
Re-grade: C | Offseason grade: C

The Cowboys tried to address their receiver situation in the offseason and might have been better off not winning a bidding war for Sammy Watkins. However, the team's failure to address the position adequately during the offseason proved costly when Dallas, desperate for an offensive spark, acquired Amari Cooper from Oakland for a first-round pick in late October.

Dallas' grade holds firm, however, because the team fared well with first-round pick Leighton Vander Esch. Other early draft choices also showed promise.
If it wasn't for the pick you yourself graded an "epic failure"...
You would be smiling wider.

Fontaine

Reaction score
With a bunch of contracts coming up + no 1st round pick I don't think there will be any big surprises or flashes this offseason.

Luckily we don't need much flash. Travis Frederick coming back, Connor Williams putting on 10lbs, and keeping mostly everyone resigned is a pretty good off season to be honest. Add 1 or 2 mid tier free agents to help with depth and you got a good overall roster

The safety position still worries me. Jeff Heath, while he’s serviceable, isn’t a starter and gets caught flat footed to much for my liking. I’m not sure if ET is the answer, with his injury and all but what do I know.

I’d also like to see some improvements at the DT position which will be hard to do with no 1st round pick. I like woods, but I’d prefer a big DT that demands a double team freeing up tank for single blocking on the outside. Could be a lot to ask for in free agency.

lwehlers

Reaction score
It was a terrible off-season. They need to do better in'19. We need a legit TE, slot receiver, Big bodied DT, Safety, O-line depth, a more consistent backup running back and how about a kicker who is consistent inside 40 yards, not a kicker who makes the rare 60 plus yarder, a punt returner and kick returner. And apparently, we need new athletic trainers who will bring all the required cleats to a road game.

there is no ways the jones do that kind of upgrading for this team take the next step try to win a superbowl. I do not see them spending big money to get a tightend. they will go with two young tightends we have and hope that they progress. I just have a feeling that they go the same route as always at defensive tackle and hope a draft pick and undrafted free agents pan out. they will bring in another young kicker to compete with maher at training camp.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
LVE looks to be an elite LB that will anchor the defense for 10-12 years. When you pick a guy like that the grade starts at a B and then goes up from there. No way is this a C. Woods really showed up for this team. He might be the best player on that DL. Imagine that defense without him anchoring that middle. He stood out from day one at training camp. Landing LVE was HUGE for this team. He and Jaylon are already the best 2 LB tandem in the NFL.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Philadelphia Eagles
Re-grade: B- | Offseason grade: C+

The decision to keep backup quarterback Nick Foles for the 2018 season instead of trading him worked well for the Eagles, who wound up needing Foles -- and winning in the postseason with him -- for a second season.

The Eagles' original grade reflected concerns that team chemistry could suffer after Philadelphia moved on from players such as Vinny Curry, Brent Celek and Mychal Kendricks while welcoming veteran outsiders such as Michael Bennettand Haloti Ngata. Those concerns seemed justified when center Jason Kelceexpounded on the subject following the Eagles' slow start, but Philly righted itself and still won a playoff game.

Daryl Worley, released following his offseason DUI arrest, did not.

With second-round tight end Dallas Goedert (33 catches, 334 yards, four touchdowns) contributing, the Eagles did not suffer from trading their first-round pick to Baltimore. That move also helped the Eagles net fourth-round corner Avonte Maddox, plus a 2019 second-round choice.

New York Giants
Re-grade: B- | Offseason grade: C

The grade remains a middling one because the Giants had a chance to address their quarterback future and punted, for better or worse. Eli Manning's increased effectiveness over the season's second half was not enough for GM Dave Gettleman to publicly commit to him for 2019.

The grade does rise slightly because the Giants' draft looks strong and their decision to bypass quarterbacks Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen with the second overall pick has not yet proved to be as disastrous as critics think it could become.

While none of those quarterbacks has proved himself yet, Saquon Barkleyinstantly became a star for the Giants, overshadowing third-round picks B.J. Hill and Lorenzo Carter, who both ranked in the top 10 in sacks among rookies. Barkley led the league in yards from scrimmage and became the fourth player in league history with at least 1,300 yards rushing and 90 receptions.

Will Hernandez should also help stabilize the line in the future.

Washington Commanders
Re-grade: C+ | Offseason grade: B

The original grade did not cover the period years ago when Washington botched the Cousins negotiations. On the re-grade, we cannot hold Alex Smith's career-threatening injury against the Commanders. Their decision to sign Smith made sense under the circumstances.

Losing second-round running back Derrius Guice to a season-ending injury before Week 1 dealt another serious blow without reflecting negatively on the decision-making process.

The re-grade falls some because critics who said the Commanders should have drafted the more dynamic Derwin James over Daron Payne could be correct, even though Payne looks like a good player, and because free-agent receiving addition Paul Richardson (five years, $40 million) failed to produce before suffering his own season-ending injury in his first year with the team.

Adrian Peterson's late signing produced a 1,000-yard rushing season that exceeded all realistic expectations.

-

Eagles B-
Giants B-
Commanders C+
Cowboys C
thanks for posting it