ESPN: Saints honored with Ed Block Courage Award

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BALTIMORE -- Wayne Gandy has seen a lot in his first 11 NFL seasons, including some things this past year that few could have ever imagined.

Many in the NFL recognized how difficult things were for New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina forced the Saints out of the city in Augus, and because of that they became the first team to win an Ed Block Courage Award.

The award is given each year to one player from each team who demonstrated courage, often by coming back from or playing through an injury.

Gandy, one of the team's captains, accepted the honor at a banquet on Tuesday night.

"It was just very chaotic," Gandy said. "I was proud that even though we were 3-13, we were still very competitive. That was good to see."

The Saints faced extraordinary circumstances after leaving New Orleans in late August. They spent much of the season in San Antonio and were forced to find different places to train, live and work.

Gandy said the Saints once trained at a local high school, including weightlifting sessions under a tent in the parking lot, and that their schedule was constantly disrupted.

"We had no routine," Gandy said. "I take my hat off to coach [Jim] Haslett for what he did."

Haslett was fired following the season. Gandy will return to New Orleans for the first time since Katrina when he attends a team meeting called by new coach Sean Payton on March 20.

Another winner was Baltimore's Dale Carter, who missed the entire 2004 season with a life-threatening blood clot in his lung.

The Ravens used the 36-year-old mostly on special teams and in third-down situations, but Carter was thrilled to be playing in any capacity. He said he was "stunned" that his teammates singled him out for the Block award.

"I tried to go out and do the best I can," Carter said. "It was great to be back."

The award is named after former Baltimore Colts trainer Ed Block. The foundation's goal is to establish a "Courage House" for abused children in every NFL city.

Link

Ashwynn

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
BALTIMORE -- Wayne Gandy has seen a lot in his first 11 NFL seasons, including some things this past year that few could have ever imagined.

Many in the NFL recognized how difficult things were for New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina forced the Saints out of the city in Augus, and because of that they became the first team to win an Ed Block Courage Award.

The award is given each year to one player from each team who demonstrated courage, often by coming back from or playing through an injury.

Gandy, one of the team's captains, accepted the honor at a banquet on Tuesday night.

"It was just very chaotic," Gandy said. "I was proud that even though we were 3-13, we were still very competitive. That was good to see."

The Saints faced extraordinary circumstances after leaving New Orleans in late August. They spent much of the season in San Antonio and were forced to find different places to train, live and work.

Gandy said the Saints once trained at a local high school, including weightlifting sessions under a tent in the parking lot, and that their schedule was constantly disrupted.

"We had no routine," Gandy said. "I take my hat off to coach [Jim] Haslett for what he did."

Haslett was fired following the season. Gandy will return to New Orleans for the first time since Katrina when he attends a team meeting called by new coach Sean Payton on March 20.

Another winner was Baltimore's Dale Carter, who missed the entire 2004 season with a life-threatening blood clot in his lung.

The Ravens used the 36-year-old mostly on special teams and in third-down situations, but Carter was thrilled to be playing in any capacity. He said he was "stunned" that his teammates singled him out for the Block award.

"I tried to go out and do the best I can," Carter said. "It was great to be back."

The award is named after former Baltimore Colts trainer Ed Block. The foundation's goal is to establish a "Courage House" for abused children in every NFL city.

Link

I hope the saints can find a home and soon. No matter where it is, its gotta be better then playing your home games in New York, unless the home is in New York. That was a fiasco last year and the NFL screwed the Saints when they shoulda been maybe making it a bit better for them, hell give them an extra home game, if anyones deserved it, the saints have.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to belittle what they went through or how the NFL basically patronized them.

But the Saints players as a team should get the block award every year for having to work for that little umbrella dancing idiot.

Same goes for the Cards players and Bidwell.